List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late once the call is made. You can whinge but they won't back down.

Of course.

But we need to get more aggressive towards the VFL mafia.

It cost us a flag through biased umpiring in 2016, and the indignity of never-ending ridicule about the Buddy deal. If the Bulldogs had copped what we copped, there would have been a royal commission.

The NGA rort was brought in because of big Victorian clubs to counter the Northern Academy system, which only partially cancels out the inherent advantage VIC/SA/WA clubs get over NSW and QLD clubs in trying to retain players.

We have players like Mitchell and Jones walking out for 30% of their worth.

Brisbane had to play a 'home' preliminary final at the MCG. Clubs are again feasting on the GWS list.

Hopefully Adelaide get very fired up, because we seem to have no influence and big Vic clubs are just going to keep coming and it will be the northern academies next.

In all seriousness I probably seem more negative than I actually am because I end up trying to level out the really bullish views.

Think we have some really good pieces and showed a bit towards the end of the year. We were missing some really good players and the second half of the season was promising.

TMac, Dawson and Rowbottom look like they’re going to be very good.

I do have it in the back of my mind that I’m not sold on horse and we have had issues with the development of a few.

I’m lost on who to take tbh

Completely ignorant of the draft, other than a few youtube videos.

But don't think we can miss from McDonald, Hollands, Phillips or Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Who knows if they become good players, but they all look worthy of top 3 picks. I also liked the look of Bruhn who I think will be right in the mix for top 5.

Completely ignorant of the draft, other than a few youtube videos.

But don't think we can miss from McDonald, Hollands, Phillips or Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Who knows if they become good players, but they all looks worthy of top 3 picks. I also liked the look of Bruhn who I think will be right in the mix for top 5.
Thought you were talking about me in the first part 😂

I love McDonald but don’t think he will be there. Phillips sounds really safe but is he a game breaker?

In all seriousness I probably seem more negative than I actually am because I end up trying to level out the really bullish views.

Think we have some really good pieces and showed a bit towards the end of the year. We were missing some really good players and the second half of the season was promising.

TMac, Dawson and Rowbottom look like they’re going to be very good.

I do have it in the back of my mind that I’m not sold on horse and we have had issues with the development of a few.

Horse is an interesting one. The 2014 gf and 2017 ef I thought he was asleep at the wheel. Ive actually been most impressed with him the last season and a half watching him work in full regeneration mode - I feel a steadying hand and the right man for the job. I Don’t ever say that here though because people have their own fixed views on him that will never change.

What I would love to see is another flag after a complete rebuild with the same coach at the same club. That almost never happens (only Sheedy comes to mind).

I think it's great that everyone has different opinions on our list strategy, but it definitely seems like those who aren't happy keep being told that we mustn't "understand" what the club is doing.

We understand, we just don't like it!
Most of us are suggesting we take Phillips, Campbell and Gulden in the draft. What would you do differently?

That top 5 looks pretty good to me and I don't see one I wouldn't like.

DGB or big boy Riley could be elite talls but, and getting pretty hard to trade talls
Yeah this is where I’m at.

Thilthorpe probably the one I want least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be happy if we got Phillips. Seems like he is composed around the contest and has clean hands. Also comes across as fairly mature and driven. I feel he could get games off the bench fairly early in the season. Having him and Rowbottom as more natural inside mids probably balances out our other young mids.

DGB reads the game well and has performed well at senior level which I think our recruiters value. He could be a long term Rampe replacement. Though I am not sure if we would pick a defender this year with an early pick. Because we still have Gould/Aliir who can come into the defence and Rampe/Brand to return from injury.

Thilthorpe seems more of a long term prospect since young rucks and forwards take a few years to develop. I think it depends whether we think he could find a role in our current team. Because it is a risk to bring him to Sydney, then leave him developing in the reserves for two years.

McDonald/Hollands would probably get taken by us if they were still available. McDonald is the best key forward prospect. And Hollands seems like a dynamic mid/fwd that teams would be happy to take a risk on.

Last edited:
But then we’d just lose the split picks on points. Makes no sense.
If we are looking at someone who is outside of the projected top 5, trade our 3 with say Essendon for their 6 and a pick in the 20s/30s that they might get for one of their departing players. Use 6 on our desired player then the other pick to assist in matching for Gulden and Campbell. Am I missing something there?

If we are looking at someone who is outside of the projected top 5, trade our 3 with say Essendon for their 6 and a pick in the 20s/30s that they might get for one of their departing players. Use 6 on our desired player then the other pick to assist in matching for Gulden and Campbell. Am I missing something there?

If a team like hawks or GC bid earlier that pick we traded will be eaten up by matching it

If we do this, then at least split 3. There is a clear top 5, not counting JUH and plenty of teams wanting to trade up and we need the points. We would be complete idiots if we blew 3 on a roughie.
If we reach this year, I’m going to produce a meltdown rant the likes of which would do Snake Baker proud.

If we were looking to reach for someone outside the projected top 5, I think it is just safer to use pick 3 on them.

If we split pick 3 into two later picks. There is always a chance we have to match on Campbell and then end up missing the player we were reaching for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back