Scandal Lachie Hunter to face drink driving charges after fleeing the scene of a crash

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen a lot of Pies nuffies on social media complaining about the length of the suspension compared to what Stephenson copped for betting

It's an interesting argument. Stephenson's actions bring the game into disrepute, while Hunter's actions (while they thankfully didn't) could have very seriously hurt someone, or worse. What's the worse offence? I would probably have to say Hunter if I'm honest

It's an interesting argument. Stephenson's actions bring the game into disrepute, while Hunter's actions (while they thankfully didn't) could have very seriously hurt someone, or worse. What's the worse offence? I would probably have to say Hunter if I'm honest
Hence why the police were called to Hunters accident and not to Stephensons couch when he put on a multi. In terms of the AFL, betting on a game you are playing in doesn’t even compare. Stephenson got off very lightly.

I've seen a lot of Pies nuffies on social media complaining about the length of the suspension compared to what Stephenson copped for betting
I think both are really bad, but the AFL views a player betting on their own match as impacting the integrity of the game itself whereas Hunter’s actions have nothing to do with the game itself. They are bad, but it was completely an off-field incident. They’ll need to understand this distinction to realise why the penalties were so different.

There are people who are instantly dismissed on serious misconduct for what Stephenson did if we compare his actions to its likes in other industries. He’s actually lucky that he was eligible to play by finals last year.

Lets continue to talk about making stuff up. The links you post talk about Aidyn Johnson being with Impey. Yet you continue to want to blame Kane Farrell for some reason. You know the fact that he's currently wearing Impey's old number doesn't make him Impey right?

Also yes that is what happened.

Well he wasn't hiding from the cops or anything. He wasn't deliberately trying to make it difficult for people to contact him. Its just that his decisions made it hard to contact him.

Pretty sure the only report on Hunter fighting charges so far had been the alcohol level charge.

Didn't say he wasn't charged, and didn't say that he didn't leave the scene. What I questioned was the reasons for why he out of contract. He panicked and tried to go home before contacting authorities and the club.

See here you're just making s**t up with the comment about deliberately leaving his keys and phone in the car. It wasn't the case at all, but a young man forgetting those items when he was panicking after the incident. Its also why he left his teammate that could've helped him make better decisions.

Not sure how you can't see the difference between that, and deciding to contact a teammate and getting them to help you leave a scene.

And lets talk about Adelaide Media and their way of spinning things

Notice the statement from the 'witness' about hearing things.

And then the Advertiser reporters comments from the same article

Can't even keep it consistent to the quotes in their own story.

He was also doing a u-turn on a narrow street.

They leave out that she was out taking photos of him... and she's was also a neighbour that had constantly tried calling the police over spruious noise complaints.

😂

From a fan's perspective, of course Hunter's situation is significantly worse. But if that's how we are going to compare, then we need to also consider that Hunter's licence is suspended, he is being criminally charged, and he faces estimates of $100k-$150k in damage bills for the cars he wrecked. I'd say all that, plus 4 games suspension, $5k fine, losing vice captaincy and the series of community programs he is now obligated to attend far outweighs the 10-game suspension Stephenson copped.

From the AFL's operational perspective, Hunter caused some minor reputational damage to the AFL and the club, while Stephenson potentially brought the entire competition into disrepute. Of course Stephenson would end up with the harsher penalty from the AFL - doesn't mean Hunter got off more lightly

Why should they have to? AFL clubs and the league should butt out of trying to playmoral adjudicator. It’s a sports league, not law enforcement. Let the police deal with dick heads like him.

If I drank drive, my work place wouldn’t punish me unless I was driving a company vehicle or driving to/from work etc
I agree but he is most likely breaching his contract as well which makes it a club matter, as well as making them look pretty bad publicly. At the very least its a PR exercise to look like they are doing something about an off field scandal.

I agree but he is most likely breaching his contract as well which makes it a club matter, as well as making them look pretty bad publicly. At the very least its a PR exercise to look like they are doing something about an off field scandal.
I will echo your statement and add that we need to acknowledge what exactly these players are contracted for. If all that mattered was playing footy, then we wouldn't bother televising it. These people are performers, and they simultaneously represent both the AFL and their respective club. A player earning $500k isn't earning that purely for his football ability. He's earning it to put on a show, and earning a salary most people will never come close to in their entire working career - doing dumb s**t off-field and getting into trouble damages the brand of the AFL and their club, so they will rightfully lose part of their contract (i.e. get fined) for not adhering to the standards expected of them. Obviously the main part of the player's punishment will be handled by the police, but I also believe the Dogs (and the Crows with Stengle) are well within their rights to apply these punishments on top.

I'm confused by the penalties the dogs gave to Smith and Gowers. Were they the same as Hunter or more?

Less. Smith got nothing (they viewed the social distancing fine for the cops as enough), Gowers got a $5,000 suspended fine, Hunter got a $5,000 fine and further $15,000 suspended fines.

Less. Smith got nothing (they viewed the social distancing fine for the cops as enough), Gowers got a $5,000 suspended fine, Hunter got a $5,000 fine and further $15,000 suspended fines.
Hilarious. At least Hunter was pissed.
Smith made the sober decision to drive his mate away from the cops and the scene of an 'accident'.
I'll let Gowers off, because he probably slept through it all.

What are the laws about having to call the cops to a car crash? How severe does a stack have to be before the cops must be called and they stackers have to wait for them? Surely, a minor bingle, during which no one is injured, the cops don't have to be called, right?
In WA, the damage caused has to be estimated at $3000 or above for police to get involved. Your second sentence is spot on mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hunter formally charged with drink driving, careless driving, failing to give his name after a collision and failing to render assistance after a collision.
$150,000 worth of damage 😬

Thank goodness it was only property damage this time...

Im not a fan of drink drivers, seen too many bad results on the road because of them.

Im not a fan of drink drivers, seen too many bad results on the road because of them.
Yeah, unfortunately for a fair few people it’s just something they see on the news and it only happens to others.
Complete and utter zero tolerance is the only way to go. For anyone. There is NEVER an excuse.

So he escapes conviction and gets fined $1,000.

Lost his license for 12 months.

What would a regular joe be looking at in terms of punishment if they drink drove, smashed up four cars, fled the scene, failed to leave details, and got breathalysed at 0.123 hours after the fact?

Asking for a friend.

So he escapes conviction and gets fined $1,000.

Lost his license for 12 months.

What would a regular joe be looking at in terms of punishment if they drink drove, smashed up four cars, fled the scene, failed to leave details, and got breathalysed at 0.123 hours after the fact?

Asking for a friend.

Ya know he’s gotta pay for damages also. Joe Blow could get out of it by crying poor if he’s unemployed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back