Scandal Lachie Hunter to face drink driving charges after fleeing the scene of a crash

Remove this Banner Ad

A captain is there to set standards around preparation and game day performance, show leadership and guide the less experienced players day to day rigors of AFL.
They shouldn’t be there to be judge and jury on their peers. That’s the job of management. What other workplaces give peers responsibility determine, or even have input, in determining punishment.

The circumstances of this particular case I don't think you could possibly replicate in the history of football either. This pandemic is strange circumstances. The Captain perhaps should have some control over the on-field or training punishment.

I'm not sure with social distancing what else you can do. Not like your bumping into each other at training everyday.

Should be left to the president and administrators agree

Farrell didn't realise the bloke he just got in an accident with didn't follow him back to the party they were going to return to after crashing his car. Listen to yourself !
Lets continue to talk about making stuff up. The links you post talk about Aidyn Johnson being with Impey. Yet you continue to want to blame Kane Farrell for some reason. You know the fact that he's currently wearing Impey's old number doesn't make him Impey right?

Also yes that is what happened.

Panicked and walked home 17kms wasn't hiding just uncontactable and no one knew where he was. After crashing his own car. Club, Police, Friends actively trying to locate someone according to your terminology that's not hiding
Well he wasn't hiding from the cops or anything. He wasn't deliberately trying to make it difficult for people to contact him. Its just that his decisions made it hard to contact him.

Pretty similar level argument to lachie hunter fighting the police charges of fleeing the scene.
Pretty sure the only report on Hunter fighting charges so far had been the alcohol level charge.

Just to end this impey was charged with HIT and RUN fleeing the scene of a crime CHARGED.
So I suppose the police charges don't count because Adelaide police are corrupt or in with Adelaide media probably.
Didn't say he wasn't charged, and didn't say that he didn't leave the scene. What I questioned was the reasons for why he out of contract. He panicked and tried to go home before contacting authorities and the club.

I'm not even sure what your argument is that he wasn't hiding behind a Bush. When you can't be contacted or found when required deliberately leaving your own keys and phone in a car. Leaving a young teammate your delusional I get it you love port more than simple facts
See here you're just making s**t up with the comment about deliberately leaving his keys and phone in the car. It wasn't the case at all, but a young man forgetting those items when he was panicking after the incident. Its also why he left his teammate that could've helped him make better decisions.

Not sure how you can't see the difference between that, and deciding to contact a teammate and getting them to help you leave a scene.

And lets talk about Adelaide Media and their way of spinning things

He said: “It was definitely getting raucous. It started about 11am and continued until about 7pm. Then I heard a car crash and it was pretty loud. It sounded like someone had been doing doughnuts (car spinning). I thought: ‘that doesn’t sound good’.”
Notice the statement from the 'witness' about hearing things.

And then the Advertiser reporters comments from the same article
Witnesses [*reported seeing him*] driving erratically, swerving and “doing doughnuts” along George St, Norwood, 5km east of the CBD, leaving a trail of destruction.

Can't even keep it consistent to the quotes in their own story.

He was also doing a u-turn on a narrow street.

A distressed Monfries, who was keeping a low profile on Sunday, was seen on the street inspecting his car with an unidentified friend, who is said to have told a young female neighbour to “get back inside”.
They leave out that she was out taking photos of him... and she's was also a neighbour that had constantly tried calling the police over spruious noise complaints.

Last edited:
Can you get fired from an AFL list? For something that involves breaking the law, I imagine so... but I have no idea. Would they list the kinds of felonies that you could get fired for - or would that just be covered under some blanket "bringing the club into disrepute" kind of thing.

My guess is they would have to do something that prevents them from fulfilling their part of the contract. So basically jail time because they'd no longer be able to attend training or matches.

Imagine if a big sponsor said "He goes or we go" when some player acted up - you'd have to see, "Well, see you later, old mate" wouldn't you?
19 year old Jay Schulz's drinking lost Richmond their major sponsorship with TAC in 2005. He wasn't traded until the end of 2009.

That ended a 16 year relationship.

[TLDR: I'm not saying fire Lachie, but I'm just wondering what someone in the AFL has to do to get fired].
Probably a bit to do with who the player is, and how expensive it would be to pay out their contract.

For example Carlton did sack Laurence Angwin for lying to them about taking ecstasy in 2004.

I'm surprised there has been a four day delay in the WBs making a press statement. I would have thought the last thing the WB would want is for this
matter to be dragged out. No doubt they have been trying to persuade Hunter to take his medicine. Good luck with that given despite claiming he was sober
he left the scene of the collision before the police arrived and he has already burned Gowers and Smith. Imagine the additional fallout if there is any suggestion Hunter contacted Gordon before he left the scene of the collision. Investigation into the phone records of Hunter, Smith, Gowers and Gordon could prove interesting.

Mark Stevens also reported it'll be 2 or 3 weeks for the suspension.

He's pretty much always on the money with Dogs news so that'll be what he eventually cops, you imagine with a $5000 (ie maximum) fine. Without looking at the financial side, a few weeks off once football returns does feel very light.

What are the laws about having to call the cops to a car crash? How severe does a stack have to be before the cops must be called and the stackers have to wait for them? Surely, if a minor bingle has a happened and no one was hurt, the cops don't have to be called, right?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Hunter thought it was ok to leave the scene and, after reading the following quickly, maybe he was, I dunno. I guess hitting 4 cars isn't a minor accident. :p "Property" is just house, etc, and not motor vehicles, right?

"In Victoria, section 61 of the Road Safety Act 1986 requires that if you are involved in a traffic accident, under certain circumstances you must report it to the police. These circumstances include:
  • if a person or animal is injured or has died,
  • if anyone’s property has been damaged as a consequence of the accident, or,
  • if the other party involved in the accident does not stop, or refuses to provide you with their details.
The police will not necessarily attend the scene of an accident. They generally only attend when there have been injuries to people or death caused by the accident.

Non-Reportable Accidents:
People involved in minor accidents that do not cause injuries or property damage and have successfully exchanged details with the other parties involved in the accident do not have to report it to the police. If their car is roadworthy, they can continue on driving.

Last edited:
Maybe Hunter thought it was ok to leave the scene and, after reading the following quickly, maybe he was, I dunno. I guess hitting 4 cars isn't a minor accident. "Property" is just house, etc, and not motor vehicles, right?

"In Victoria, section 61 of the Road Safety Act 1986 requires that if you are involved in a traffic accident, under certain circumstances you must report it to the police. These circumstances include:
  • if a person or animal is injured or has died,
  • if anyone’s property has been damaged as a consequence of the accident, or,
  • if the other party involved in the accident does not stop, or refuses to provide you with their details.
The police will not necessarily attend the scene of an accident. They generally only attend when there have been injuries to people or death caused by the accident.

Non-Reportable Accidents:
People involved in minor accidents that do not cause injuries or property damage and have successfully exchanged details with the other parties involved in the accident do not have to report it to the police. If their car is roadworthy, they can continue on driving.

You're kidding right?

"Star..."

LOL!
Not sure why you'd be surprised by calling Hunter a 'star'. The bloke is/was a vice captain of his club, best and fairest winner from 2018, been 3rd in a best and fairest in a premiership year and a premiership player. He is clearly a star, definitely not a superstar.

North supporters will be North supporters I guess.

2-3 matches is weak as piss by the Bulldogs if true.
The legal consequences will be much worse financially and losing the VC might also affect his income as well. Let the police sort him out, we all expected the token 2-3 game punishment and education so the club looks like it's doing something.

The legal consequences will be much worse financially and losing the VC might also affect his income as well. Let the police sort him out, we all expected the token 2-3 game punishment and education so the club looks like it's doing something.

It's also the equivalent of 3-4 matches given the shorter season. Off the top of my head not sure there have been too many longer club suspensions for this type of incident.

It's also the equivalent of 3-4 matches given the shorter season. Off the top of my head not sure there have been too many longer club suspensions for this type of incident.

North gave Kayne Turner four games for straight up drink driving. Didn't crash into anything.

Not sure why you'd be surprised by calling Hunter a 'star'. The bloke is/was a vice captain of his club, best and fairest winner from 2018, been 3rd in a best and fairest in a premiership year and a premiership player. He is clearly a star, definitely not a superstar.

North supporters will be North supporters I guess.
So what you're saying is that he's only rated inside the club, part of the circle jerk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back