List Mgmt. 2020 Trade and List Management Thread III

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we want 14? That is going to be pushed down with bidding, but picks in the second/third round will be used to pay for the majority of the academy signings. Ideally, we want to grab as many second/third round picks as we can and hope clubs like Dogs, Swans and others who will be cashing in picks to pay for academy players and have those picks consumed will draw up the remaining picks that haven't been used to pay for players.

In that regard it would benefit us to make sure all the academy players get bid on as high as possible to maximise the number of points required. If Pick 14 drops down 3 or 4 places and picks in the second round get pulled up 5 or 6 places as picks are cashed in then how much of a benefit is there really getting into the mid to late part of the first round?
Yes this is an important aspect to consider, but I think the balancing point will be about pick 40 (i.e. at about pick 40 there will have been ~10 academy players selected and ~10 picks burnt), but after that picks will come in rapidly with picks that started the draft in the 50s and 60s being used on players in the 40s.

So, in my view, is it would absolutely be worth trading up to 14. It might drop 3-4 spots, but a pick in the 20s might drop 7-8 spots. Time will tell if that's close.

20 and 38 for Higgins and 28 is a fair deal.

Geelong will be shi**y ofcoarse because they would have expected us to bend over and lube ourselves up.
Very close to the Lake trade. Lake was two years younger and helped win 3 flags. Higgo could do similar for the cats.

Lake and pick 27 for 21 and 41.

I’m not sure this is enough but would our pick 11 and future 2nd for pick 5 from Gold Coast be enough.

As Siluns have stated they want picks for next year and hopefully snag Phillips.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Afl media ask for a royal commission every time he is tackled.
I really don’t know whether I’ve had my head in the sand for years and it’s been going on for ages, or the media has become psychophants to a few clubs..... it’s totally bizarre.
Have always thought the interstate clubs to be bleating about bias etc, but maybe they have a point. It’s become *ing ridiculous the blatant expectation that certain clubs “bend over and let the others through”.
what the fk has become of our competition? Seriously.

SIX CLUBS are chasing the Western Bulldogs' pick 14 as the club puts it on the trade table.

The Dogs are fielding offers from rivals for the first-round pick, which they are keen to offload for more draft points to secure Next Generation Academy gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan.

However their plans could be altered depending on what happens with Josh Dunkley and the Dogs midfielder's insistence he wants to be traded to Essendon.

Adelaide, which has a very strong draft hand, North Melbourne and Collingwood are among the clubs who have asked about the Bulldogs' top pick as they try to improve their draft position.

However the Dogs may actually delay a decision on the early choice until closer to the draft, with clubs able to trade picks up until a week before the NAB AFL Draft. They then can do deals during the draft with live trading.

Because of that extended trade window, the Dogs could hold the selection and see who becomes more desperate for the selection as the draft edges closer and more is known about where draftees are likely to head. - Callum Twomey
Deal with us or we bid. Simples

I hate this Higgins deal.

Not one pick in top 20 and wow, gives us a pick near 40.

People are underrating his ability.

Take a breath.

It’s about as fair a deal as I’ve seen for a North player this silly season. Turns our second into a late first and gives us another pick in the top 40... for a 33 year old.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Take a breathe.

It’s about as fair a deal as I’ve seen. Turns our second into a late first and gives us another pick in the top 40... for a 33 year old.

Breath but yeah.

A 33yo who is in our best 3 players mate. To me it's unders but it seems happening so ok

I hate this Higgins deal.

Not one pick in top 20 and wow, gives us a pick near 40.

People are underrating his ability.

I'd much rather picks inside 20 too, but the deal is a reasonable one all things considered (I would still like better, but you can't be unanimous winners in every trade), and there's no reason we can't ontrade to better picks.

Breath but yeah.

A 33yo who is in our best 3 players mate. To me it's unders but it seems happening so ok

Will he be playing in 5 years time?

For all we know, Brady and Luff have a player in mind at pick 20 who won’t be available at 28. Who will not only potentially be playing in 5 years time, but be quality.

We all love Higgo, but if he can help our rebuild by getting more talented kids through the door, the short term pain for long term gain is worth it IMO

I’m not sure this is enough but would our pick 11 and future 2nd for pick 5 from Gold Coast be enough.

As Siluns have stated they want picks for next year and hopefully snag Phillips.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Touch and go. It's probably an early to mid 20s pick. Given there is talk of a big 5 it probably isn't quite enough.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Ok then.

But if we are giving away Brown and Higgins for near nothing, when we already lack top end players, Cunners back who knows, then this strategy better work.

It could be a complete disaster.

Near nothing is an exaggeration if referring to that deal.

Just out of curiousity, what is the alternative? The fact that we had one of the oldest lists in the competition and finished 17th, has caused the Footy department to pursue a pretty significant transformation to bring in youth.

Adding only 1 or 2 top 30 picks every year (note we only have 3 this year because we traded our first last year) is a slow arduous process as we have seen the last couple years. Given that the club wants to turn things around quickly, they need to get more picks in that top 30 bracket over the next couple drafts to speed up the process. The only way to do that unfortunately is to trade players with value that they believe won’t be around/in their prime when we are in our next window.

Ok then.

But if we are giving away Brown and Higgins for near nothing, when we already lack top end players, Cunners back who knows, then this strategy better work.

It could be a complete disaster.

I'm surprised you're still of this mindset, tbh. Your expectations, given the circumstances, are unrealistic.

I'm surprised you're still of this mindset, tbh. Your expectations, given the circumstances, are unrealistic.

Yes maybe so just keep him? He's bloody contracted.

After next year sure he's gone but we are getting nothing anyway for a class player.

Again. I'll leave it as clearly that's not happening.

I have no idea what our offer is and what Jed is asking for.

North want Jed to stay, but aren’t willing to pay him absurd coin (see Ben Brown).

Just because we have cap space, doesn’t mean we should overpay players. Sets a horrible precedence.
Let’s just overpay the Tyson, Polec, Pittard types instead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back