Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Total overreaction to the pitch scratching , silly thing to do , a bit childish but probably in line with hus personality.

The guy should not captain Australia in any capacity again though .

I dont get this constant defense of Steve Smith and his personality.
The sandpaper affair proved that he is an egregious cheat.
And now we see him changing the batting mark of an opposing player. International players of his level know you just don't do that.
Great player and batsmen, but morally deficient

I think Justin Langer needs to realize that Australia had already batted twice and there was no reason for Steve Smith to be scratching out a guard or even be anywhere near the pitch, i get defending your players and all that, but the optics were wrong on so many levels. Everyone does things under pressure that don't make a lot of sense next time try scratching a mark in the ground for first slip when your team is in the field. Just to keep to the thread topic no Steve Smith should not be Captain again just let him focus on being Steve Smith.

And now we see him changing the batting mark of an opposing player. International players of his level know you just don't do that.
Im not defending him at all , in this instance the whole 'cheating' thing is way overblown.
He should never captain again though.

Simply mark your gaurd again which isn't hard, most bats scratch away every 2nd ball wasting time doing it anyway and tell him to p!55 off if he comes over again.

Next thing he'll be cheating because he has to touch his thigh pad 13 times before he faces every ball .

Can you explain how you do this on a turf pitch in the time Smith was shadow batting?

I think Justin Langer needs to realize that Australia had already batted twice and there was no reason for Steve Smith to be scratching out a guard or even be anywhere near the pitch, i get defending your players and all that, but the optics were wrong on so many levels. Everyone does things under pressure that don't make a lot of sense next time try scratching a mark in the ground for first slip when your team is in the field. Just to keep to the thread topic no Steve Smith should not be Captain again just let him focus on being Steve Smith.

Justin Langer is full of s**t.

Steve Smith is a convicted cheat, and while this wasn't as bad as the sand paper stuff, it's definitely dodgy. When the heat was on his true colours came out.

Total overreaction to the pitch scratching , silly thing to do , a bit childish but probably in line with hus personality.

The guy should not captain Australia in any capacity again though .
hows it an overreaction? he was deliberately scuffing the pitch between breaks for no reason, other than 'shadow batting'.

there is nothing more sacred than the pitch, and when oppo players end up on the pitch a bit after bowling a ball everyone cries cheat. yet when smith deliberately scuffs the pitch for no reason its ok?

I still question the backlash against Smith.

Essentially he was punished for being the only cricketer to come out and be honest when it came to ball tampering.

I don't really want him to captain because I don't think he's great at it but overall, the sad reality to come out of sandpaper is sportspeople learned that lying is going to be better for your career then coming out with the truth.

Justin Langer is full of sh*t.

Steve Smith is a convicted cheat, and while this wasn't as bad as the sand paper stuff, it's definitely dodgy. When the heat was on his true colours came out.

As much as it burns to say this but....

He's not only a cheat on the field but tbh also quite an arrogant person to fans off the field when I have met him from experience.

Tbh, I don't really like the bloke despite his "Superstar Status" on the field with his stupid movements while batting. He only saving grace is he can make runs more consistenly than his mates.

He just seems like a complete cheat, an arrogant person off field and should never ever become the captain of Australia ever again :huh:

SIMPLE AS THAT

hows it an overreaction? he was deliberately scuffing the pitch between breaks for no reason, other than 'shadow batting'.

there is nothing more sacred than the pitch, and when oppo players end up on the pitch a bit after bowling a ball everyone cries cheat. yet when smith deliberately scuffs the pitch for no reason its ok?
The overreaction is calling it 'cheating' , the act itself was silly and the type of thing you see in under 14s.

Like i said before mark your gaurd again like batters do every second ball and tell him to nick off , then the umps can deal with it .

Its in a completely different league to intentionally marking or scuffing the deck on a good length .

Essentially he was punished for being the only cricketer to come out and be honest when it came to ball tampering.

I don't really want him to captain because I don't think he's great at it but overall, the sad reality to come out of sandpaper is sportspeople learned that lying is going to be better for your career then coming out with the truth.
He was only honest after they got caught so he gets no credit from me. Has he admitted how long they were doing it for as there were rumours for a while about the aussies before they got busted in SA.

He was only honest after they got caught so he gets no credit from me. Has he admitted how long they were doing it for as there were rumours for a while about the aussies before they got busted in SA.

And to back up what Maybe Tomorrow quoted, the only real reason that Steve Smith was ever positioned captain of the Australia was because he scored runs more consistently then his peers and that he was from NSW where all the bias comes from. If he was born anywhere else around the country, he wouldn't have been captain at all full stop. He was poor not just in tactical evolution of the game but also culturally and sportsmanship as well.

Like I quote, a great performing player doesn't always equate to being a good leader on/off field and it is demonstrated by this muppet of a clown several times now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And to back up what Maybe Tomorrow quoted, the only real reason that Steve Smith was ever positioned captain of the Australia was because he scored runs more consistently then his peers and that he was from NSW where all the bias comes from. If he was born anywhere else around the country, he wouldn't have been captain at all full stop. He was poor not just in tactical evolution of the game but also culturally and sportsmanship as well.

Like I quote, a great performing player doesn't always equate to being a good leader on/off field and it is demonstrated by this muppet of a clown several times now.
Does the bias come from CA generally who are based in Victoria and whose vast majority of staff are Victorian or from the selectors who at the time of Smith's appointment were 2 Western Australians, a Queenslander and a South Australian and are now a Western Australian, a Queenslander and a Tasmanian?

I would agree but he wasn't honest. He initially said in the first press conference on the footage that they were using a piece of tape to try and clean dirt off the ball. Odd lie and I'm still adamant that this 'rogue' action was why Cricket Australia brought the hammer down moreso than the tampering itself.

Does the bias come from CA generally who are based in Victoria and whose vast majority of staff are Victorian or from the selectors who at the time of Smith's appointment were 2 Western Australians, a Queenslander and a South Australian and are now a Western Australian, a Queenslander and a Tasmanian?

I just feel like some selections seem a joke sometimes like you should have never played Warner if he was injured and should have put Harris in at the beginning or take Starc out and replace him with Neser for example.

I believe that the national selection table should be changed so one representive from each state should be represented so there is no complete bias at all.

Like my parents would say, the team is mostly just a boy's club and if you ain't popular you ain't going to get picked it that XI it was simple as that and sometimes you can see that with the selections.

LMAO:

Steve Smith looks “really, really angry” and Cricket Australia should step in to make sure that he’s OK, according to former ODI star Shane Lee.

Smith was fired up when he celebrated a drought-breaking century in the third Test against India and was later seen scratching at the crease while fielding; leading to a claim of cheating that left the champion batsman “shocked and disappointed”.

Lee said that he was struck by Smith’s 100 celebration at the SCG.

“I’m really really concerned about some of our behaviour. Steve Smith scored a fantastic hundred in Sydney and the way he reacted afterwards, I thought, there’s a real anger there,” Lee said on his Afternoon Sport podcast. “It’s disturbing.”

The poms go the hardest over any minor slip up from our lot, could you imagine if warner had smashed a blokes skull in then our press decided not long after he is now a rehabilitated mature leader(because he grew a beard i guess?) then he goes after some random in the crowd just for getting called ed sheeran?

That would be the end of warners test career if he responded to english crowds abuse the way stokes did in SA and warner and smith unlike stokes did actually cop real abuse not some powder puff line about looking like a singer.
I hope Smith scores 800+ runs in next year's Ashes series, to compound their misery.

This is it in a nutshell for me. He and his team had already batted twice, there was no need for him to be there and surely he can put his shadow batting away while the opposition are batting. What he did isn't illegal. I'd describe it as uneccassary and that's it.

This is it in a nutshell for me. He and his team had already batted twice, there was no need for him to be there and surely he can put his shadow batting away while the opposition are batting. What he did isn't illegal. I'd describe it as uneccassary and that's it.

To follow up what 010203 quoted, the problem with Steve Smith is that he is a very arrogant, selfish and competitive person who always wants to bat and never wants to lose or get out otherwise we will cry like a little baby does.

You just need to look over in New Zealand in how Kane Williamson acts as their star player and captain and compare the pair between those two players. You didn't seem Williamson cry like a baby cause they lost the world cup in England by the smallest of margins, did you.

I know who I would have as my star player and captain and it isn't Steve Smith anymore. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think Kane Williamson is a tax evader and a holocaust denier.

Yay, baseless accusations are fun!

Lol :tearsofjoy:

the fact is the only fans of Steve Smith outside of his cricket would be children cause of the sheer amount of runs he scores.

Like I said before, I have met him before and he just seems a very arrogant cricketer who think his cool cause he can make some runs in front of his peers.

Last edited:
I need to say, reading various world forums over Smith etc., people hating him, wanting his banned, he's a filthy cheat etc.. He has made some big mistakes and decisions but is a GOOD HUMAN who would not hurt anyone and spends time helping others. The world is corrupt, run by Evil Corporations, self centred-short sighted governments (ours included), I see Tony Blair is being paid huge sums to advise on Covid wtf- he's a war criminal, our environment is trashed by the greedy, people commit shocking crimes - BUT, the most anger I see on line (Trump aside) is for Smith and the like. They are mostly rich boys throwing a ball and hitting it with a stick- great fun - BUT GET THE feck over it people. He wont be captain anyway, the STUPID rules that allowed him to play with the marks (legally) need to be changed (get the feckn AFL to do it - they love changing feckin rules) - oh and enjoy the fecking 4th Test everybody!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back