Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

I am not writing Steve Smith off as Captaining Australia again there is nowhere to be seen anyone who looks remotely like our next Captain. He gets his punishment ...fine... Reset culture change and this young man can prove everyone WRONG.
Like he really needs that pressure. I seriously doubt he will Captain Australia. Just hope he comes back and makes a mountain of runs.

Last edited:
Please elaborate..
Smith was never surrounded by yes people and was never anointed as a future Test Captain at a young age - like all of them he’s worked extremely hard to get where he is/was - nothing was handed to him on a platter - no one pushed his barrow - I spent a session with him 3 or 4 years ago with some young spinners - he torched them but was respectful and thankful for the hit - I would contrast that against his predecessor

Smith was never surrounded by yes people and was never anointed as a future Test Captain at a young age - like all of them he’s worked extremely hard to get where he is/was - nothing was handed to him on a platter - no one pushed his barrow - I spent a session with him 3 or 4 years ago with some young spinners - he torched them but was respectful and thankful for the hit - I would contrast that against his predecessor
I heard his name being bandied when he was 19. Clarke was a flog. Smith is not a big head or a spoilt brat, far from that. He is a respectful person, BUT he has lived in a bubble, and ultimately it cost him. He has struggled under the pressure, and clearly was not ready. Prior to his appointment, CA did psychometric testing on all of the players and the tests revealed that Tim Payne was the best person for the job. Injury and poor form cost him an opportunity.

I heard his name being bandied when he was 19. Clarke was a flog. Smith is not a big head or a spoilt brat, far from that. He is a respectful person, BUT he has lived in a bubble, and ultimately it cost him. He has struggled under the pressure, and clearly was not ready. Prior to his appointment, CA did psychometric testing on all of the players and the tests revealed that Tim Payne was the best person for the job. Injury and poor form cost him an opportunity.
I once used to move in circles pretty close to the top - with people who did - my mail over time has proven to be pretty accurate - I can categorically state Smith was NEVER mentioned as an annointed one unlike Clarke & Ponting - there was a real concern in NSW circles that his technique might get found out at higher levels

I once used to move in circles pretty close to the top - with people who did - my mail over time has proven to be pretty accurate - I can categorically state Smith was NEVER mentioned as an annointed one unlike Clarke & Ponting - there was a real concern in NSW circles that his technique might get found out at higher levels
Well they were not the only ones....A lot of so called experts got that one wrong, including me. Never rated him, as I have often been reminded. The thing that always kept Smith in the eyes of the people that count, was his immense work ethic. Finally a very classy act was the tweet he sent to the parent of a 9 y.o who was upset about what occurred.

https://www.instagram.com/deborah_knight/

The reason we picked Steve Smith as Captain is pretty simple.

In late 2014 Clarke was a cripple and soon to retire. Watson was also nearing the end and also a national joke. Rogers and Haddin even older than Clarke.

We missed out on a generation of batsmen in terms of establishing themselves in the team - Shaun Marsh, White, Bailey, Khawaja etc.

Of the bowlers Harris and Johnson were nearing the end and Johnson especially not Captaincy material. Lyon still had pretty limited confidence.

So the two options were Smith and Warner.

The reason we picked Steve Smith as Captain is pretty simple.

In late 2014 Clarke was a cripple and soon to retire. Watson was also nearing the end and also a national joke. Rogers and Haddin even older than Clarke.

We missed out on a generation of batsmen in terms of establishing themselves in the team - Shaun Marsh, White, Bailey, Khawaja etc.

Of the bowlers Harris and Johnson were nearing the end and Johnson especially not Captaincy material. Lyon still had pretty limited confidence.

So the two options were Smith and Warner.
Well said the cupboard really was bare so it was a case of giving it to the best player

He really needed a solid VC to help with while he developed into the role

Gazza as captain, anybody?

He can be a 2-year stopgap.

Lyon isn't the sharpest guy going around, not captaincy material. Him dropping the ball on AB highlighted that earlier in the series.

The only reason Warner gets exposed is because he is louder and more egotistical - Lyon is actually worse than Warner by a long shot.

Lyon isn't the sharpest guy going around, not captaincy material. Him dropping the ball on AB highlighted that earlier in the series.

The only reason Warner gets exposed is because he is louder and more egotistical - Lyon is actually worse than Warner by a long shot.

Worse based on what? And worse in what way? What’s he done apart from the ball dropping thing with AB?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Meedya would have a field day with the romance of Lyon as captain, even if he'd be a poor choice. From groundsman to Captain Straya. I can see the headlines and awkward puns already.

The way he drops his head and starts throwing darts every time things aren't going well.

He needs to be captained by someone who will build him up and use him effectively to maintain his confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back