Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever you think about his captaincy, this is a depressing way to end one's captaincy.

(Not saying it isn't warranted, mind.)

Hopefully some sanity will eventually prevail once the hysteria dies down; I'm looking for the following;

1. Smith & Warner removed from leadership positions - the latter permanently
2. Lehmann's tenure as coach conclude at the end of this Test Series (brought forward)
3. Langer installed as Coach (Ponting isn't an option)
4. Paine installed as Captain
5. For the next five years - upholding the Spirit of Cricket MUST be first and foremost in any Australian Team - playing hard but fair must take a back seat for a time - too much damage has been done to the game

He's an average captain and cheat to boot. Aussies should have given him the flick earlier, maybe then you wouldn't have seen the day your reputation is left in tatters.
I assume you think the same about Martin Crowe when he led a pre-meditated ball tampering tactic in Pakistan in 1990?

I assume you think the same about Martin Crowe when he led a pre-meditated ball tampering tactic in Pakistan in 1990?
Don't care, back then it was acceptable and easy to get away with. If you hear cricketers from that time speak of it, they talk it like it was the norm with every team doing it. Obviously in today's world it's not with how people view pushing the rules and the cameras all over grounds to catch players in the act.

I don't know if it's related, but I do remember a former NZ player talking about tampering with the ball to get a level playing field.

McCullum did the same thing in 2016 against Aus to get the ball to reverse, but they weren't able to get much so it wasn't really an effective method. It only happened when defending a pretty low score in the last Test and seemed more like a way to level the playing field after Aus had found a way to consistently reverse the ball when it had rarely reversed in NZ.

Last edited:
Gerard Whately has just said that he thought CA wouldve appointed Cam White or another senoir player to oversee Smith's captaincy in his early days.

Also remarked how the appointment of Clarke over Katich was the start of a team taking the wrong "track".

Don't care, back then it was acceptable and easy to get away with. If you hear cricketers from that time speak of it, they talk it like it was the norm with every team doing it. Obviously in today's world it's not with how people view pushing the rules and the cameras all over grounds to catch players in the act.

I look forward to being able to say in 20 years time that Cape Town 2018 doesn't count, as attitudes will have undoubtedly shifted between now and then.

Gerard Whately has just said that he thought CA wouldve appointed Cam White or another senoir player to oversee Smith's captaincy in his early days.

Also remarked how the appointment of Clarke over Katich was the start of a team taking the wrong "track".
Goes back longer than that. Every captain in recent times seems to have taken a poor element of the captain they played under. Ponting could be an incessant sledger and petulant as well.

And does anyone think Katich was a chance of being made captain? Clarke had been groomed for that position from day one.

Last edited:
Goes back look ne'er than that. Every captain in recent times seems to have taken a poor element of the captain they played under. Ponting could be an incessant sledges and petulant as well.

And does anyone think Katich was a chance of being made captain? Clarke had been groomed for that position from day one.
I know Haydos strongly recommended that Clarke not be made Captain shortly after retiring. Don't know about Katich being a shout but I think there were two competing camps in CA on Clarke's captaincy.

Goes back look ne'er than that. Every captain in recent times seems to have taken a poor element of the captain they played under. Ponting could be an incessant sledges and petulant as well.

Gee, lay off Mr Ponting , he was a extremely competitive cricketer, who set high standards,
He was 'blindsided by the NSW news mafia Ben horne , jimmy maxwell ,Lawson, all NSW ch9 common tators, etc etc
For michael Clarke to could b capt ( he even admitted he was not a good VC ) need punter , looking old

Goes back longer than that. Every captain in recent times seems to have taken a poor element of the captain they played under. Ponting could be an incessant sledger and petulant as well.

Clarke did seem the chosen one from as early as 2003 when he went as a spare batsmen to the West Indies.

Clarkeys teams were more along the lines of a bit of sledging but no whining about went against them. This series in South Africa our team has complained about basically everything in a way I can’t remember an Australian side doing.

Biggest issue with this side is they seemed to think talking a good game meant half the battle was already won, i don't really care who sledges and who doesn't but you need to also bat and bowl well and we haven't.

Since the tea time incident in the first test we have looked rattled and our cricket has been awful, the idea of the talk is to get your opponents off their game but it's not some magic wand to cover for your own piss poor on field play and our lot seemed to have a gigantic hissy fit when the bluster and bravado didn't break SA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest issue with this side is they seemed to think talking a good game meant half the battle was already won, i don't really care who sledges and who doesn't but you need to also bat and bowl well and we haven't.

Since the tea time incident in the first test we have looked rattled and our cricket has been awful, the idea of the talk is to get your opponents off their game but it's not some magic wand to cover for your own piss poor on field play and our lot seemed to have a gigantic hissy fit when the bluster and bravado didn't break SA.

SA have been strong mentally and on field and shown their class

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cam would not have been chosen as he was not from NSW
Aaron finch Cam white and esp George Bailey were all hung out to dry as capt's( not born in NSW)
after Clarke ,esp George ,34, who is still the best captain in Australia, should have been made capt of test team ,He already was 1 day and t20 capt.and stevie could have been his VC, and learnt from the master. They were all seen as a threat by the NSW news mafia ( george only payed 5 tests, and with a longer stint at it would have finished with great ave.
but we end up with smith and warner holdind all duties

It goes back a lot longer than that, some might say even pre- 1900. Not to tar every Australian captain with the same brush, but gee some people are ******* naive.
I know Haydos strongly recommended that Clarke not be made Captain shortly after retiring. Don't know about Katich being a shout but I think there were two competing camps in CA on Clarke's captaincy.
Haydos says a lot of things, none of which have any value whatsoever.
Aaron finch Cam white and esp George Bailey were all hung out to dry as capt's( not born in NSW)
after Clarke ,esp George ,34, who is still the best captain in Australia, should have been made capt of test team ,He already was 1 day and t20 capt.and stevie could have been his VC, and learnt from the master. They were all seen as a threat by the NSW news mafia ( george only payed 5 tests, and with a longer stint at it would have finished with great ave.
but we end up with smith and warner holdind all duties
The NSW cricket mafia definitely conspired to make Finch, White and Bailey not good enough to play more than a few tests. What will these evildoers think of next? Hang on, Finch has barely even been a shield regular for most of his career.

It goes back a lot longer than that, some might say even pre- 1900. Not to tar every Australian captain with the same brush, but gee some people are ******* naive.

Haydos says a lot of things, none of which have any value whatsoever.

The NSW cricket mafia definitely conspired to make Finch, White and Bailey not good enough to play more than a few tests. What will these evildoers think of next? Hang on, Finch has barely even been a shield regular for most of his career.

I like how the NSW haters are using this as a reason to hate on them.

Maybe we should just separate as a nation from NSW as protest to this whole mess

In some ways a lot of our other blokes are lucky all this happened, instead of a sharp focus being on the indifferent bowling, the batting collapses and the continued poor fielding all the focus is on ball tampering.

How they must wish the attention was on their average cricket skills in this series as opposed to the shitstorm going on now. Strange situation when it comes to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully some sanity will eventually prevail once the hysteria dies down; I'm looking for the following;

1. Smith & Warner removed from leadership positions - the latter permanently
2. Lehmann's tenure as coach conclude at the end of this Test Series (brought forward)
3. Langer installed as Coach (Ponting isn't an option)
4. Paine installed as Captain
5. For the next five years - upholding the Spirit of Cricket MUST be first and foremost in any Australian Team - playing hard but fair must take a back seat for a time - too much damage has been done to the game
Why isn't Ponting an option considering Bancroft came from the Langer stable?

Need to get runs to be considered, completely paranoid example.

This whole debacle exists with or without NSW. Standard VIC mentality, pathetic.

Smith and Warmer are s**t aussies, full stop.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back