Steve Smith as Captain

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith was never a leader. He just did not look comfortable, and reminded me of Sachin Tedulkar when they tried making him captain. Smith should have been left alone to make a squillion runs and bowl his leggies. Australian cricket is in tatters. Justin Langer is the wrong choice for coach. He comes from the school where sledging and aggression was the way. Australian cricket needs to go back and play cricket and look like they are enjoying it. The results will follow. Dizzy Gillespie should be the next coach.

Smith was never a leader. He just did not look comfortable, and reminded me of Sachin Tedulkar when they tried making him captain. Smith should have been left alone to make a squillion runs and bowl his leggies. Australian cricket is in tatters. Justin Langer is the wrong choice for coach. He comes from the school where sledging and aggression was the way. Australian cricket needs to go back and play cricket and look like they are enjoying it. The results will follow. Dizzy Gillespie should be the next coach.
I agree with you but realistically when he was appointed the only other options were Haddin or Bailey. We can look back now and say it wasn't a good choice but at the time it was welcomed by most and even seen as a bit of a breath of fresh air.

Great idea, lets bring in a coach who has just been potting our players. Sarcasm.

Like it or Langer is almost certain to be the next full time coach. There isn't anything wrong with sledging, done right.

I agree with you but realistically when he was appointed the only other options were Haddin or Bailey. We can look back now and say it wasn't a good choice but at the time it was welcomed by most and even seen as a bit of a breath of fresh air.
That shows that it was really the only choice.

Bailey never played test cricket post the 13/14 Ashes and that was lead by Clarke.

I don't believe it was a bad choice anyway, he has made a terrible error but is the best there is.

Great idea, lets bring in a coach who has just been potting our players. Sarcasm.

Like it or Langer is almost certain to be the next full time coach. There isn't anything wrong with sledging, done right.
Gillespie's record is much better, and has a wider range of experience.

Everybody has potted the players, and based on the media reports Smith did not hesitate to throw Starc and Hazlewood under the bus.

I don't know if the so called bubble causes it or if this is just a special case, but Smith and Warner don't come across as particularly bright at all.

It's like their job is to play cricket, and everything else is taken care of for them.

The seem developmentally delayed as adults. I can't imagine having an intelligent conversation with them. Not everyone needs to be an Einstein, but surely leaders of men should themselves be (emotionally) men, not boys that haven't grown up?

Fox Sports are reporting that Warner has "Gone Rogue" - the bloke is not the sharpest tool in the shed but if he's been the "leader" of this I have grave fears for the remaining members of his "Crew" - they must all be dumb as dogshit

Fox Sports are reporting that Warner has "Gone Rogue" - the bloke is not the sharpest tool in the shed but if he's been the "leader" of this I have grave fears for the remaining members of his "Crew" - they must all be dumb as dogshit
It makes it all the harder the bowlers had nothing to do with it. It's hard to imagine them just giving Warner carte blanche to go to town on the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know if the so called bubble causes it or if this is just a special case, but Smith and Warner don't come across as particularly bright at all.

It's like their job is to play cricket, and everything else is taken care of for them.

The seem developmentally delayed as adults. I can't imagine having an intelligent conversation with them. Not everyone needs to be an Einstein, but surely leaders of men should themselves be (emotionally) men, not boys that haven't grown up?
Honestly, most of the really successful sportsmen I've met are a bit thick.

I am certain that it helps with their ability to remain clear-headed and task-oriented in pressure situations.

We are getting desperate I agree.
Well who else is there? Khawaja is too young, the bowlers are embroiled in this apparently (wouldn’t pick one anyway), Warner is a joke, Handscombe isn’t getting it, so now that leaves Marsh or Paine. Marsh I rate. Good solid character, defied the doubters during the Ashes, and can mentor Khwaja through until he retires.

Honestly, most of the really successful sportsmen I've met are a bit thick.

I am certain that it helps with their ability to remain clear-headed and task-oriented in pressure situations.

Interesting. Maybe they are also more coachable under modern academy methods?

Also think their overloaded schedule doesn't give them a chance to be a real person outside cricket and develop those skills. Maybe grooming captains from a young age isn't the way to go anymore, we'd be better having someone who's battled a few more years in the Sheild.

Langer and Gillespie are from the same team, same era. Dizzy may seem more laid back but to suggest he wouldn't have payed a very similar game is just silly. Langer has a more intense demeanour but he was always tough but fair, imo. He wouldn't put up with cheating or s**t attitudes.

Warner appeared in a T20 match, and a huge impact, and was playing International cricket before he had established himself in Shield cricket. He had a tough upbringing and admits he is not the sharpest tool in the box. Smith has been in a bubble since he left school at the age of 16 surrounded by yes people and whispers of next Australian captain in his ear.

Langer and Gillespie are from the same team, same era. Dizzy may seem more laid back but to suggest he wouldn't have payed a very similar game is just silly. Langer has a more intense demeanour but he was always tough but fair, imo. He wouldn't put up with cheating or s**t attitudes.

Agree but since retiring from cricket Dizzy has really developed as a person, and that is the biggest difference. i saw an interview Crash Craddock conducted on cricket legends, and his view on cricket and life was brilliant. Bancroft was a Langer protege, and apparently it is not the first time he has tried to rough up a ball. You only have to hear what players say about him who played under him at Yorkshire. They all loved and respected his approach.
CA should have paid out Lehman's contract, and then started fresh again. He will have no authority or respect from the players.

Agree but since retiring from cricket Dizzy has really developed as a person, and that is the biggest difference. i saw an interview Crash Craddock conducted on cricket legends, and his view on cricket and life was brilliant. Bancroft was a Langer protege, and apparently it is not the first time he has tried to rough up a ball. You only have to hear what players say about him who played under him at Yorkshire. They all loved and respected his approach.
CA should have paid out Lehman's contract, and then started fresh again. He will have no authority or respect from the players.
On this, people really do underestimate how pervasive ball tampering is and how it's seen as part of the game; I have heard on good authority it happens at grade cricket, some fairly inventive tactics used. Not saying it's right, but suggesting we hang Bancroft and those who mentored him when the cricket establishment allowed it to become 'part of the game' is over the top, imo.

On this, people really do underestimate how pervasive ball tampering is and how it's seen as part of the game; I have heard on good authority it happens at grade cricket, some fairly inventive tactics used. Not saying it's right, but suggesting we hang Bancroft and those who mentored him when the cricket establishment allowed it to become 'part of the game' is over the top, imo.

You are right ofcourse. Sad that the game has reached this sad state of affairs. Everyone needs to take a step back and have a good long hard look at the game, starting with the ICC and CA.

Warner appeared in a T20 match, and a huge impact, and was playing International cricket before he had established himself in Shield cricket. He had a tough upbringing and admits he is not the sharpest tool in the box. Smith has been in a bubble since he left school at the age of 16 surrounded by yes people and whispers of next Australian captain in his ear.
The Smith stuff you claim as fact is absolute rubbish -

I am not writing Steve Smith off as Captaining Australia again there is nowhere to be seen anyone who looks remotely like our next Captain. He gets his punishment ...fine... Reset culture change and this young man can prove everyone WRONG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back