Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Suprised it got ticked off, I felt certain JOM or Gunner were going to get it, but this is the will of the playing group.

I’m all for it if they get behind him, because he’s an absolute warrior and actually is fully deserving of the captaincy.

Congrats Big Boy. 👊

Absolute rippa. For just a minute, take you supporters hat off and put your playing hat on. If McEvoy was your captain, what would you think ? Personally, I'd love it. Strong and clearly has great leadership.

Let's remember that Hawthorn chooses a captain from the inside, and not from a fan poll. Not criticizing those who don't like it, but I think the players have to be trusted on this one.

The more I think about this the more I LOVE it. Don't get why people think it's a stop gap.

Big Boi is not a stop gap. Ok, he may only captain for 2 years. But he is obviously the best leader. Why would we put someone else in as leader just because they are younger and will do it longer? That is a recipe for mediocrity.

Ben will set the standard for work rate, integrity and leadership. Then it is up to other leaders to meet and surpass those standards.

Plus, very happy for the lad. True family club man.

Congrats big man. Was surprised at first but then started thinking about character and person. One of the best, highly regarded and is always bandaged up 😄.

Cornes has already started. Just said how can you choose a captain that isn’t an automatic walk up into the best 22! This shows how little the bloke knows about footy and our club. What a knob!

Look i think the club needs stability and think this would have been a good time to lock in O'meara, Mitchell or Gunston for the next 5 or so years but no questioning Big Boy is a good leader. Hope it is the right call.

Shout out to Worpedo making the leadership group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither was Vandenberg. Did that make him a bad choice?
Vandenberg didn't come after another stop gap, he came after Crawford who captained the club for a number of years.
Obviously the players and committee know best and I am not privy to internal discussions.
Just externally, in my view, JOM or TOM make more sense

Congrats big man. Was surprised at first but then started thinking about character and person. One of the best, highly regarded and is always bandaged up 😄.

Cornes has already started. Just said how can you choose a captain that isn’t an automatic walk up into the best 22! This shows how little the bloke knows about footy and our club. What a knob!

How on earth did he figure this? Does he still think this is 2014 when McEvoy got sent back to Box Hill a couple of times. Odd call from an odd man.

I really don't love another interim captain who will do 2 years at most. That said - I think this is paving the way for Jaeger to be captain after that with Worpel his VC - which I really like the idea of.
Ned, you're back!

I agree, not thrilled with another 2 year Captain. Should have been Jaeger or Gunston. Both are ready.

i know a lot of people will be disappointed with this due to his age but i can't think of a more inspirational leader that gives his all for the HFC. Remember when we were getting pummelled in 2017 and he was in tears after the game? Bleeds Brown and Gold and will provide a great precedent for whoever takes over long-term.

I get the feeling that he will be teaching someone like JOM, Sicily or Worpel who will take over in 2 years with the view to them being our next premiership captain. We need someone to steady the ship after the debacle that was Stratts and Rough and if JOM/Sic weren't ready this year, they sure as hell will be when BB is done after learning from him.

The more I think about it the more I like it. Club is in safe hands.

Vandenberg didn't come after another stop gap, he came after Crawford who captained the club for a number of years.
Obviously the players and committee know best and I am not privy to internal discussions.
Just externally, in my view, JOM or TOM make more sense
I reckon you can only choose for the immediate to medium future, not long term, or to be there for the mythical future flag. There is no guarantee that ANY chosen captain will be there for a flag. Long term Crawf wasn't, short term Vanders wasn't.

The captain is part of a continuous, long-term process about the team and culture

It’s worth 2 extra wins I’d say

Maybe the pecking order among the 24-27 year olds isn’t so clear cut. or it’s going to be sicily next. Be happy there’s been no shortage of options recently

Haven't read anything about your pre-season training, will McEvoy be back in the ruck this year?

From all reports it looks like Ceglar will be 1st ruck based on how we've lined up and his performances.

Back