Training Training Thread - News & Live Reports II

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that you bring this blokes name up in relation to Campbell.

Majak is the poster child for late bloomers.

Daw seemed to give more around the ground, in saying that I also realize that had some very average moments in 2020.

End of the day, I like the different look he gave in the ruck and then his ability to follow up.

Suspect a number of primarily ruck first players have lacked for opportunity at their best position due to Goldy’s consistency in games played.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

If big Maj hadn't had the issues and subsequent injuries he did over the last few years he was developing into a real weapon. Good enough to play a real role in defence, pinch-hit forward, and was as good as any second ruckman going around.

History will probably see Daw as another player who didn’t realize the potential he had.

His one excellent season though was amazing to watch, first time i’d seen opposition teams tag one of our key backs.

Also one of the few players we have had in a while that made non-North supporters watch our games.

Don’t mean to irritate particularly but Majak could do few things, which I think you have rather fulsomely described....,
What about like Everything Else which he could not do!
One of the Worst footballers on our list ever, without a doubt
Probably one of the worst posters on our list (even accounting for Rad Roo)

Thank you, praps you could explain why Daw is no longer on our list

On the wrong end of 20 and injury ****ed. The reason was pretty bloody clear.

He was literally rated as one of the best intercept defenders in the league at one stage. One of the worst footballers on our list ever.... give me a break.

Sure, obviously not a natural footballer because of his background....but he didn’t learn how to play
I can’t really see why this is controversial..... he could jump, he could mark very well
I am just saying he had no awareness, and in my book he was an appalling footballer
Not a personal insult, he was just another athlete trying to play Aussie Rules, he couldn’t

Sure, obviously not a natural footballer because of his background....but he didn’t learn how to play
I can’t really see why this is controversial..... he could jump, he could mark very well
I am just saying he had no awareness, and in my book he was an appalling footballer
Not a personal insult, he was just another athlete trying to play Aussie Rules, he couldn’t

You're actually fairly correct, except for him being an "appalling footballer".

He couldn't and didn't learn how to play? An appalling footballer?

You don't make it as an elite intercept defender if you don't understand (at least) the basics of defensive zoning, timing your run, and reading the flight of the football. You also don't make it as the defacto second ruckman if you don't have some basic understanding of midfield setups, as well as the nous and skill to actually beat your opponent.

Absolutely his aptitude for the game were originally based purely on his athletic profile and not his skill and knowledge of the game, his background was absolutely a hurdle and he was a late bloomer when it comes to putting all the pieces together, but to say he was an appalling footballer is flat out wrong. Then going further and saying he was without a doubt one of the worst footballers on our list, ever, is mind blowing.

If he was so s**t he also wouldn't have just got asked by Melbourne to train with them. List sizes were reduced last year and the league had a massive player turnover, and even still barely any of those delisted players have been given the opportunity to play with other clubs. We delisted what, 12 in the end? Only TWO of them are training elsewhere currently.

If he is an elite intercept defender, well hey we could do with one of them.... but no, we delisted him That makes no sense, at all
He literally snapped his lower body in half, followed by several smaller setbacks, and then when he returned and wasn't at the level he was prior to injury we were having one of the worst seasons in our entire history and proceeded to delist over 1/4 of the aging list in an attempt to completely rebalance our age demographics. If we retained him he would have been our 5th oldest player.

Don’t want to derail this thread anymore buuuuuutttttttt it would of been interesting if Tom and Majak were both out of contract who they’d of kept.

Possibly neither, of those delisted they were either perceived to not be up to it or needed to go based on reducing the list age profile.

Both Tom and Maj fit that 28+ group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think fitness and availability would have played into it and role modelling. Tom has been pretty durable since joining the club and by all accounts is a great role model, team man. That’s not a sledge at Maj, Tom just comes across as someone who is a bit of a nurturer and i think that plays into supporting development of the younger guys and even Goldy.

If he can go forward, take a grab, and use that big one wood to bomb some goals, then he's a worthy inclusion.

Ultimately, Tom must give us something on a consistent basis that is more than just a relief ruckman.

I'd be playing Xerri ahead of him, but if he gets the nod then best of luck to him. It's not as if he hasn't put in the hard work and application, and ruck is a position which produces very late bloomers. He needs to play with more campaigner, because Xerri certainly has that.

No one is denying he is sensational back-up and a great clubman etc etc it’s a noble task being back-up and never having opportunity to get a game unless the incumbent gets injured.

I just have visions of that Hawthorn game at the G a few seasons back.

No one is denying he is sensational back-up and a great clubman etc etc it’s a noble task being back-up and never having opportunity to get a game unless the incumbent gets injured.

I just have visions of that Hawthorn game at the G a few seasons back.

Think I might've been sitting next to you that day. The horror - Scott was comprehensively out-coached after putting us behind at the selection table.

Possibly neither, of those delisted they were either perceived to not be up to it or needed to go based on reducing the list age profile.

Both Tom and Maj fit that 28+ group.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

We would still need backup for Goldy. It would only leave us with Xerri, who has barely played a game, let alone a full game in the ruck at AFL level.

If both Campbell and Maj got the chop, we would have had to of recruited a mature age player as backup.

I personally think Campbell would have got another year, if he had of been out of contact. He is the most like for like compared to Goldy, has played purely in the ruck in recent years and he stays on the park.

Potentially at the end of this year, we might look at poaching a 21-22 year ruckman with Goldy nearing the end. Be nice to have another ruckman in that age bracket and not having all our hope resting on Xerri.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tom Campbell would easily be chosen over Majak if a ruck cover was needed and both out of contract.
You've got a guy with huge injury concerns who isn't a main ruckman vs someone who's won the best VFL ruckman award before and hasn't dealt with a career of consistent injuries.
If we run campbell in the forwards as 2nd ruck rotation then fine but he isnt the same player he was under BS and its idiotic to think so.
He's gotten a lot more mobile and his presence on field is always felt. Sure he may be a little clunky and awkward but Goldy in recent years has been smashed by the double ruck combo and isn't getting younger so if we're aiming him to be almost a 100% game time player then a 2nd player to ruck which allows him to move forward isnt a bad idea. Its not like we're blessed with massive depth in the Tall Forward department either.

We would still need backup for Goldy. It would only leave us with Xerri, who has barely played a game, let alone a full game in the ruck at AFL level.

If both Campbell and Maj got the chop, we would have had to of recruited a mature age player as backup.

I personally think Campbell would have got another year, if he had of been out of contact. He is the most like for like compared to Goldy, has played purely in the ruck in recent years and he stays on the park.

Potentially at the end of this year, we might look at poaching a 21-22 year ruckman with Goldy nearing the end. Be nice to have another ruckman in that age bracket and not having all our hope resting on Xerri.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just looking at how aggressively they cut into the list of players in the back half of their careers, they may have looked at a backup ruck option who was younger.

Anyway, Tom stays available and good luck to him. Being ready to go is something several talls on the team have struggled with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back