Prediction 2021 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

In SuperCoach Sier looks a great option, in terms of youngsters hopefully Bianco, Ollie Henry, and Fin Macrae all get early debuts. Quaynor is also a good option and I feel will have a break out year this season. De Goey is set to play more midfield time this year as well.
Quaynor is too expensive to pick in SC so not worth the risk. De Goey could be worth the risk cos of the lack of top forwards in SC but hes kinda risky too cos of his injury history and mediocre SC scoring history. Sier is a great shout for a quality midprice selection.

Will Kelly and Nathan Murphy are other cheapos who are a chance, especially Will Kelly.

Hey guys, fantasy question here.

Just wondering if the Pies have any draftees from either 2020, or the last couple years who are doing well in the intra-club games/scratch match from this week. Would you expect them to be best 22?

Thanks in advance.
Sier as midpricer, Kelly Henry Macrae as rookies the 3 most likely.

Getting closer to the real stuff and most spots are picking themselves. This is purely about Rd 1 for me:

Def: Roughead, Moore, Howe (will make it), Crisp, Maynard, IQ and Noble

Rock solid top 3 in the league. It’s our foundation for being competitive and won’t be mucked around with.

Mid: Grundy, Pendles, Sidebottom, Daicos, JDG, Sier and Adams/ T Brown (not as confident as Howe)

The engine room. Elite on paper, but they give you a look. For me it’s the line that differentiates between competitiveness and success. When they’re on top it sets up our ground position and acts as a domino effect for the rest of our game.

Fwd: Mihocek, Cox, Elliott, JT and WHE.

More often than not this unit will struggle unless the midfield is “on” primarily because we don’t have the chemistry. It’s the cream line. I’ve seen plenty of comments on us struggling because of how weak this line is and they’re wrong. This line can have an off day and we still win as long as they’re putting in defensively. The last 2 spots will come from Henry/ McReery/ C Brown/ Ruscoe/ Cameron/ Kelly and is the line that will be dictated to by pre-season form. I would go Henry and Ruscoe, but I reckon the club will go Brown and Kelly/ Cameron (pending Kelly’s fitness). I think we move the ball much better without the extra tall and as a transition year I’d like to see kids that we don’t know much about getting an opportunity.

Utility: Madgen/ Wilson/ Mayne/ Murphy

Basically the mr fixit of the best team. Until Tuesday Mayne was a lock, but the doors ajar. The other three need to produce tomorrow to be a chance.

One last point. That team is as talented as the 2018 GF side (possibly top 4-6 on talent still). The clear difference being how we move the ball to give our weakest line a fighting chance. In 2018 we played like the 2020 EF fast, free flowing and direct. WC were only competitive due to Nic Nat’s complete destruction of Grundy. If we bring that 75% of the time or more we make the top 4...

Great assessment.

For mine the biggest weakness in our side is the two-way running from our mids and forwards. We are very hot and cold when it comes to chasing and applying pressure when we turn the ball over in the middle or up forward. When we bring really high intensity we can beat anyone but we don’t do it anywhere near consistently enough.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Great assessment.

For mine the biggest weakness in our side is the two-way running from our mids and forwards. We are very hot and cold when it comes to chasing and applying pressure when we turn the ball over in the middle or up forward. When we bring really high intensity we can beat anyone but we don’t do it anywhere near consistently enough.

Agreed. Watching the AFLW yesterday highlighted that. Great intensity Q1&2 = dominance, drop off in intensity Q3 = Melbourne rebounding strongly, ratchet the intensity back up in Q4 = dominance.

Hopefully moving on a couple of players in the off-season will redress that inconsistency in the senior AFL side. The 2 guys with pace didn't chase and IMHO were 2 of the 3 worst 2-way runners in the team, the guy who chased all day lacked pace and gave opponents too much space.

I disagree with some of the assessments that seem to be mainstays.
Given his very limited exposure I can't see Kelly as a selection early in the year. To my mind, they will build him through the VFL, and see where is after a few games.
The concussion issue may see Mayne handled very cautiously.
The issue with our midfield does not seem to be two way running to me. The very limited scores that opposition teams typically kick against us says to me that the midfield defends well. There does seem to be something wrong in their structures at centre bounces. Opposition sides seem able to isolate someone at the tap too often. With equal numbers in there, It would seem that other teams have some set plays that achieve this, and that we don't have counters often enough. 4 or 5 big wins there decide a lot of games.
The constant sniping at the Brown brothers doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Callum clearly has a problem with his kicking penetration, but his in close skills don't seem to attract the kudos that they might. His brother is very young at present.
The push for De Goey to be a midfielder seems overblown. He can be a devastating forward, of a fairly rare type. I would rather he play forward more than midfield most of his on field time.
I agree with the positive assessments of our backs, but am unsure whether the new rule might reduce their effectiveness.
I continue to see Cox as a possible game breaker for us. Probably not every week, but pretty often. If he is marking well, opposition teams have to distort their backlines to try and stop him.
Elliott has shown that although he can play in the midfield, he is a far better forward, even with his diminished leap.
Hoskin-Elliott does not deserve the flak he cops. He is a very good player.
Daicos looks very assured in his evasive skills now, and has the look of an elite player.
Sidebottom is a problem. His much discussed susceptibility to tagging has to be included in the planning on how he is positioned on the field. I would suggest that he be used much more flexibly, with forward, wing and midfield time distributed much less predictably, and with swifter changes.
Overall, I don't see us starting with a radically different team to the one used last year. I can see that the personnell are likely to change a lot as the year wears on.

COLLINGWOOD

B:
Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe

HB: Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor

C: Josh Daicos, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne

HF: Callum Brown, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott

FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

I/C: John Noble, Ollie Henry, Tyler Brown, Brayden Sier

Collingwood’s best 22 on paper still remains very strong despite the departure of a number of stars from Nathan Buckley’s 2020 team. The club would’ve been mighty impressed with Ollie Henry’s dazzling display against Geelong during the practice matches, which could lock him in for a Round 1 spot. Talls Trey Ruscoe and Will Kelly will be in the club’s thoughts as they ponder how best to structure up close to goal. Despite not playing in the practice game, Jordan De Goey, Taylor Adams and Chris Mayne all seem likely to run out against the Western Bulldogs later this month.

Great assessment.

I think this is actually because we are too defensive in our running patterns nad positioning. Our smalls hang back to position themselves defensively to cut off the outlet and lock it in, rather than getting to forward line ground balls. It often means that intercept is won too easily by opposition defenders and they have the time space and numerical advantage to share it around and find someone in the clear.

I think this is actually because we are too defensive in our running patterns nad positioning. Our smalls hang back to position themselves defensively to cut off the outlet and lock it in, rather than getting to forward line ground balls. It often means that intercept is won too easily by opposition defenders and they have the time space and numerical advantage to share it around and find someone in the clear.

It's a bit chicken - egg for me. I think a lot of the hesitance in running hard forward is the teams propensity to put the footy onto the chest of an opposition player. Fix some of that transition and F50 entry stuff and the rest will flow.

Round 1 Side
FB Howe - Roughead - Maynard
HB Quaynor - Moore - Crisp
C Dacios - Adams - Noble
HF Sidebottom - Mihochek - W H Elliot
FF Henry - Cox - Elliot
FOLL Grundy - De Goey - Pendlebury
Bench Madgen - Sier - Ruscoe - Kelly

It's a bit chicken - egg for me. I think a lot of the hesitance in running hard forward is the teams propensity to put the footy onto the chest of an opposition player. Fix some of that transition and F50 entry stuff and the rest will flow.
Yeah I'm doing a bit of guessing, particularly as I saw no live games last year and only a couple in 2019, but when I saw a couple of games live in 2019. It really struck me that blokes who were in position to get front and centre, pulled up well short of the contest. It looked instructional to me and I found it really frustrating. But maybe I don't really get modern running patterns.

Maynard, Roughead, Howe
Quaynor, Moore, Crisp

Grundy, Adams, Pendlebury
Daicos, Sier, Noble

Henry, Mihocek, Sidebottom
Elliot, Cox, De Goey

Ruscoe/WHE, T. Brown, Madgen, Kelly

I think we'll see two of Ruscoe, WHE and Henry, with young Ollie clearly being the front runner for a spot atm. Coaching selection probably go WHE over Trey in that instance but it is interesting to note that the three are quite unique to each other. If JDG plays more Mid than FWD maybe all three could work as quite a dynamic forward line, however I think first up they'd be wanting a Sier or T Brown to be a solid mid and then shuffle JDG in and out as needs be rather than him be a full time mid who drifts forward right from the get go.

The back 6 is rock solid and Noble pushing up the ground and Madgen on the pine means a lot of room for flexibility, whether that's Crisp pushing up the wing and Noble going back or Madgen allowing one of Howe/Moore/Rough to be moved around as needs be if we're in a pinch.

It's a solid side imo that at it's best can match it with any side. Hopefully we can get a clean run with injuries this year, though I think we've said that every year since 2012.

Back line everyone pretty much agrees, it selects itself , although I would love to see Moore forward, doubt the Coaching staff would be as bold

B Maynard Roughead Howe

HB Quaynor Moore Crisp

C Daicos Adams McCrae

HF Henry Mihocek Sidebottom

F Elliott Cox De Goey

Foll Grundy Pendlebury Sier

Inter Noble Ruscoe Cameron WHE

Emerg Mayne Kelly J, Thomas T,Brown McCreery

Great assessment.

I'm glad someone mentioned this, I've had back and forth discussions on this issue ever since we've regressed to stagnant ball movement after the GF. There's been examples of this in many games where we move the ball well (because of two way running), yet in the same game we get a stark contrast.

The in season game against wc was a good example, had em on toast qtr 1 then dropped off a cliff. So the question in my mind is the why.

It is either instruction or our ideal game cannot be maintained game long, let alone consistently through season. Or the playing 22 are not on the same page.

In 2018 we had a very difficult game to defeat, we outnumber at contest, and run to outnumber on the receive after the possession win. And run to defensive position when without ball (guarding the right piece of grass) - two way running.

Going by Nathan's presser after the EF win, it seems the panel and the MC find our ideal game is fluent ball movement. So what's getting in the way of that. Greater footy minds on this board would know better than I.

We've all had discussions on this problem, we were never too defensive in our running patterns (guarding space without ball and / or outnumber in contest to win ball and outside with ball) in 2018.

Pendles admitted as much in an on field presser against the dogs in 2019, admitting in 'slowing the game down'. Ended up in not ideal results, left our receivers too far and wide hence the stagnant ball movement which allowed opposition to submit us to turnover and now we seem to be stuck in that mindset. Hence the chicken and egg, averse to risk maybe? Because of 'poor' transition?

We've had glimpses of ideal game but too far and few between, for mine it's one these:
  • Instruction (unlikely given Nathans pressers after those free flowing games)
  • Inability to maintain that 'two way running' to ensure outnumber and defensive structure on the right piece of grass and cut off oppos offensive game.
  • The 22 (and the whole squad in general) are not on the same page - or not quite.
One of the last two, how to fix it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back line everyone pretty much agrees, it selects itself , although I would love to see Moore forward, doubt the Coaching staff would be as bold

B Maynard Roughead Howe

HB Quaynor Moore Crisp

C Daicos Adams McCrae

HF Henry Mihocek Sidebottom

F Elliott Cox De Goey

Inter Noble Ruscoe Cameron WHE

Emerg Mayne Kelly J, Thomas T,Brown McCreery
love that team but you can put your house on it that their will be no ruscoe or McCrae, instead theyll be buckleys ass sniffers in mayne and J Thomas

love that team but you can put your house on it that their will be no ruscoe or McCrae, instead theyll be buckleys ass sniffers in mayne and J Thomas

I would be willing to say the same, although i do like Mayne as a player, we need to start playing younger players, we can't keep relying on older players.

This would be my selection

B Maynard Roughead Howe

HB Quaynor Moore Crisp

C Daicos Adams Sidebottom

HF Henry Mihocek Ruscoe

F Elliott Cox DeGoey

Inter Noble Madgen WHE T Brown

I would love to see Will Kelly and Macrea in the side, hopefully they get a chance in the Richmond game.

Without having seen the full practice game, I will have a crack at what side I think we should pick for round 1.

B Maynard Roughead Howe

HB Quaynor Moore Crisp

C Sidebottom Adams McCrae

HF Henry Mihocek WHE

F Elliott Cox De Goey

Foll Grundy Pendlebury Daicos

Inter Noble Sier Cameron Thomas

Emerg Mayne, Kelly, Greenwood, T Brown

Without having seen the full practice game, I will have a crack at what side I think we should pick for round 1.

B Maynard Roughead Howe

HB Quaynor Moore Crisp

C Sidebottom Adams McCrae

HF Henry Mihocek WHE

F Elliott Cox De Goey

Foll Grundy Pendlebury Daicos

Inter Noble Sier Cameron Thomas

Emerg Mayne, Kelly, Greenwood, T Brown

Sub in TBrown and Greenwood for Adams and Macrae and looks about right.

Howe Roughead Maynard
IQ Moore Crisp
Daicos Pendles Tyler B
Elliott Mihocek WHE
Henry Cox Sidebottom
Grundy Adams DeGoey
Kelly, Noble, JT, Sier
emg - Murphy,CB,Cameron Ruscoe
DeGoey, Sidebottom & Elliott rotate thru the midfield & fwd line each centre bounce

Last edited:
COLLINGWOOD

B:
Brayden Maynard, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe

HB: Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, Isaac Quaynor

C: Josh Daicos, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne

HF: Callum Brown, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott

F: Jordan De Goey, Mason Cox, Jamie Elliott

FOLL: Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

I/C: John Noble, Ollie Henry, Tyler Brown, Brayden Sier

Collingwood’s best 22 on paper still remains very strong despite the departure of a number of stars from Nathan Buckley’s 2020 team. The club would’ve been mighty impressed with Ollie Henry’s dazzling display against Geelong during the practice matches, which could lock him in for a Round 1 spot. Talls Trey Ruscoe and Will Kelly will be in the club’s thoughts as they ponder how best to structure up close to goal. Despite not playing in the practice game, Jordan De Goey, Taylor Adams and Chris Mayne all seem likely to run out against the Western Bulldogs later this month.

Id play literally Thomas or W.Kelly over Cal Spud Brown. Even any of the rookies or new draftees. Rather see McInness on a wing with ollie henry on a flank and mayne off the bench,

Id play literally Thomas or W.Kelly over Cal Spud Brown. Even any of the rookies or new draftees. Rather see McInness on a wing with ollie henry on a flank and mayne off the bench,
Reef is injured. But when he does play, he'll split his time forward until he can time fully in the midfield.

COLLINGWOOD
RD 1 V Bulldogs (2020)

YES this was last year's team.

FB Maynard Roughie Howe

HB Crisp Moore Noble

C T Brown JDG Daicos

HF WHE Mihocek Sidey

FF Elliott Cox Thomas

R Grundy Pendles Adams

I/C Madgen Mayne, C Brown Tom Phillips

Stick IQ in for Tom P
and this won't be far away.

The new wave may get a start in Rd 1 with Henry and Kelly if they do well v Tiggers on Friday
but the rest may need to get some game time in the 2's.

My round 1 team :

Maynard Roughead Crisp
Howe Moore Quaynor
Daicos Pendlebury Noble
De Goey Kelly Mihocek
Elliot Cox Hoskin-Elliot
Foll: Grundy Adams Sidebottom
Inter : Tyler Brown Sier Henry Thomas

Emergencies : Madgen Ruscoe C Brown greenwood

What I want come round 22

Maynard Roughead Crisp
Howe Moore Quaynor