Autopsy Round 2, 2021: Hawthorn defeated by Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if you're referring to me with the 5 changes comment. If so, I have already said that beating this Essendon side by one point is not worthy of being a "no changes" kind of effort.
Wasn’t referring to you specifically. Don’t even recall see your post, I mostly just skim through.

For the record, I was hoping for 1 or 2 changes this week too

I’m going to be watching our percentage rather than W-L this season as a reflection of how good our season has been. If we can get close to 100% I will be very happy. Tracking ok after two rounds with Richmond behind us.

It seems that Will Day has an ankle sprain and could miss 1 week.

Denver Grainger Barrass has a hyperextension of the knee but so far
nothing more serious is suspected..

Need to find a different mix in the midfield, Mitchell, O’Meara, worpel , shiels just don’t offer a point of difference. They just don’t have attributes that can help improve the mix in the middle. Lots to work on.
Agree. A major worry. Perhaps Cousins gets a crack.
Chad will get a look this week.

Hawks beat bombers by 1 point -

Big Footy: “no change. Everyone is great!”

Hawks lose to reigning premiers -

Big Footy - “too many passengers! We need to drop 5 players.”
Come on mate, I only saw bits and pieces because of my friends at Kayo and I've already burned my 28yr membership scarf - written to Jeff about Clarkson, dropped 105.456 players, changed the rules, blamed the umps, and have run out of bloody piss.

Wait till i get serious about it all.

The most annoying part, hitting mulipe keys at once on the keyboard while trying to post......bloody keybaords, you can't trust em.

Tiges well on the way to emulating Norm Smith's legendary Melbourne side of the 1950s (four in five years hasn't been done since then). Good luck to them I suppose - they have left us and most of the rest of the competition in their wake.

Big mistake not to address this issue in trade / draft week. Glaringly obvious we have too many of the same sort of midfielders
Need to find a different mix in the midfield, Mitchell, O’Meara, worpel , shiels just don’t offer a point of difference. They just don’t have attributes that can help improve the mix in the middle. Lots to work on.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarkson played a ruckman a kick behind play to try to disrupt Richmond going into attack. I think we will see that next week against the Cats, too, to try to make it hard for Hawkins and Cameron, if he's fit.

I posted it in the game thread but I will post it here now. Richmond are on top of their game plan and each player knows what role he is to play. It's what Hawthorn was like in 2013-2015. By contrast, the Hawks have a number of new players coming into the team still unsure of the running patterns and the leads up forward. Makes a big difference. When that is sorted out, we will take a big leap forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I don't expect that, but that's what I'd like to see.

TOB, Ceglar and Hanrahan need to be dropped because they are not good enough. Scrimshaw comes in regardless of Day's fitness. Two, maybe three changes need to be made.
Said it last week, got howled down, but will say it again this week. TOB tends to do JUST enough to keep his place in the side. Bobbed up, took a big mark and kicked a flashy and important goal last week, went back to his bad old ineffective self this week...

I was pretty happy with that all things considered. They jumped us early and their pressure was great and caused us to waste plenty of chances to pressure them better on the scoreboard. Despite that we still stuck with them really well considering we're a young team that many have pegged as bottom 4 and they're trying to win a 3rd straight flag.

A bit more composure with our forward entries and we may have given them a scare. Really impressed with our backline who were able to prevent Richmond from scoring as heavily as they could have given the frequency of forward entries they were getting down the corridor.

Also sick of hearing about how good an aerial team Richmond is. Any team could be considered that if they were able to get away with pushing and holding as much as they were today. O'Brien was infringed all day and barely got a call for it.

We need to be patient .

The synergy and team work the Tigers have has been built over seasons . We are 2 games in.
And it looked like it at times. We make the odd mistake and the good teams punish you.

Our endevour is great , cant fault it . I love the young guys keep taking the game on.
CJ is a beauty along with Brockman. We look so much quicker now across the field.

It feels like this group has spine and resolve in it too . Add Gunston, Wingard and Sicily ( next year ) and its looks pretty good to me.

We cant afford to give the Cats a start next week , they are flat trackers when you do .
Got to give it to them early and make them feel the scoreboard pressure because they will be expecting an easy W against us.

CJ, Brocky and Hardwick were good.

O'Brien, Hanrahan and Phillips were poor.

We need to improve talent in fwd half as it was non-cohesive today. Lewis, Gunston, Wingrard will obviously help in this regard.

The midfield needs injection of 2-3 new players and FA, trade or draft is the avenue to improve that part of team.

Our most obvious flaw is tthe midfield group, need speed and class addition.

I was pretty happy with that all things considered. They jumped us early and their pressure was great and caused us to waste plenty of chances to pressure them better on the scoreboard. Despite that we still stuck with them really well considering we're a young team that many have pegged as bottom 4 and they're trying to win a 3rd straight flag.

A bit more composure with our forward entries and we may have given them a scare. Really impressed with our backline who were able to prevent Richmond from scoring as heavily as they could have given the frequency of forward entries they were getting down the corridor.

Also sick of hearing about how good an aerial team Richmond is. Any team could be considered that if they were able to get away with pushing and holding as much as they were today. O'Brien was infringed all day and barely got a call for it.
Their pressure causes hack kicks into oppo F50 too. It's like nothing I've seen. They're all on board. And they love it.

For anyone that has access to the relevant data I would love to know what our scoring efficiency inside forward 50 has been like over the past 4 years.

We seem to get very little value from our repeat inside 50s which I personly believe is down to our bewildering tactic of long bombs to know one in particular.

Its all very well having a good backline (which we do) but geez we won't win many games kicking 7 goals!

Boy do we badly miss Wingard. He has speed and elite kicking skills. Those are two things the inside midfield is lacking.
Agree. Mitchell’s primary support act - Worpel, Shiels, O’Meara - add nothing that he can’t do, they just don’t do it as well as him. Wingard provides a point of difference in skill and speed.

Of those three others, something has to give. For me, we should persevere with the youngest. He can still significantly improve. The other two are completed products so they need to be redeployed or if incapable or unwilling, be dropped. The current midfield mix will not take us anywhere.

How good is to watch a game where Hawthorn loses and not notice a single umpire ?
It can be done.....

The umpiring seemed to favour Richmond. They got the softer free kicks. The one paid against Worpel when he was already lying on the ground and the Richmond player fell over him infuriated me in particular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back