Preview Sydney Swans vs Richmond Tigers, Saturday April 3 @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Rowbottom has been ruled out this week. If they don't rest Buddy, I take in we go in unchanged?

So:
Buddy in : unchanged
Buddy out : McLean? Hayward? Stephens?
My bet is Buddy out and Hayward in with Stephens as the sub. Max up the forward pressure and speed.

I hope Buddy is not out. It would seem nuts to bring him into the team last week, only to rest him the next week. I mean I get needing to rest him, but do it every 3 or 4 weeks, not every second week.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more enthusiasm for our chances against Richmond. I know they are good, but perhaps stars aligning we are in the infancy of a team our team capable of creating an era. Perhaps we have young players who will be legends of the game in times to come and were we to look back then on now we would shake our heads in not believing. Dream and believe your dreams will come real.

I hope Buddy is not out. It would seem nuts to bring him into the team last week, only to rest him the next week. I mean I get needing to rest him, but do it every 3 or 4 weeks, not every second week.

100% and I’m certainly no doctor but I’d imagine a run or 2-3 games is better for his fitness than resting every other week. A flight to Melbourne isn’t exactly strenuous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little surprised there isn't more enthusiasm for our chances against Richmond. I know they are good, but perhaps stars aligning we are in the infancy of a team our team capable of creating an era. Perhaps we have young players who will be legends of the game in times to come and were we to look back then on now we would shake our heads in not believing. Dream and believe your dreams will come real.

I’d say there’s a quiet confidence amongst most of us here but we’re hesitant to voice that confidence. I definitely can see us winning, but don’t want to get carried away because I’m trying to enjoy the game style and the young guys showing their skills instead of stressing about ladder positions, but they’re making it very difficult to do that when they keep winning big and building our hopes up.

I think we can win but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm so I don't get disappointed if we don't. It was easier emotionally when there were no expectations.

Some of us took a look at the betting odds and figure that we may be getting ahead of ourselves just a little bit. That said, win this and we are looking good for finals this year - something that a lot of us thought was nigh on impossible. These two wins and this style of play has got me f$&@/?$ excited every time the weekend approaches. Loving the footy.

It's just a personal feeling.
My point is that Hawthorn and Geelong had prolonged threats that got better and better, whereas Richmond have been playing a team, and that team disappears.

Richmond could of have had an incredible dynasty if Adelaide stuck around and challenged them over the course of their wins, but it feels a bit like other teams just weren't ready for Richmond. St Kilda and Collingwood were a genuine chance for multiple seasons in a row, GWS and Adelaide only got there once.

I just feel that Richmond have won off their consistency, their ability to stick around while others around them

Are you talking about how Sydney are going to be taking it to them? :p

100% and I’m certainly no doctor but I’d imagine a run or 2-3 games is better for his fitness than resting every other week. A flight to Melbourne isn’t exactly strenuous.

Yes, and he won't be able to properly get into a rhythm if he is being rested every second week. There is a reason why teams go worse after byes, so imagine every game Buddy plays essentially coming off a bye.

I agree. Ask Gulden who will win this week. He is closer to the team than us. And I believe him.! :cool:

Yes, and he won't be able to properly get into a rhythm if he is being rested every second week. There is a reason why teams go worse after byes, so imagine every game Buddy plays essentially coming off a bye.

Don’t need to convince me. He should play against the Tigers and maybe even Essendon although that would be a good game to rest him considering they shouldn’t be a threat.

I like 2-3 games on, 1 game off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst supporters in the AFL:

1. West Coast (by an ever increasing margin)
2. Norf
3. Richmond
4. Collingwood
I don't know... Hawks supporters were pretty dreadful there for a while, and the Doggies supports are dreadful to their own team....

I don't know... Hawks supporters were pretty dreadful there for a while, and the Doggies supports are dreadful to their own team....

You can't hold that against them. All fans are dreadful to the umpires.

Just had a look through the Richmond board, a equal dose of arrogance and salt in that place.
Not expecting Sydney to win, but will be a good yard stick to see where the team is at.

You find that with all teams. Just read this thread. Richmond has a team full of plodders, a shocking game plan but have fluked 3 flags from 4 cause the opposition is not like it was 10-20-or 30 years ago lol.

Undefeated against two pleb teams. Carlton are a rabble and Hawks were 40 points down against the Bombers before they pulled their finger out. Richmond were challenged hard by the Blues.

I think their game plan doesn't stack up with the rule changes as the Tigers excel in slowing the game down and their structures. Our quick ball movement will isolate their defenders.

Great point and I have heard this from a few people due to our tactic on manning the mark to allow our team defense to set up, that has been taken away due to the new rules. In actual fact we have the best defense in the league with the least points against. The big reason for that is that we set up defensively very deep as our coaches understand the game has now changed to a transition/turnover game. Swans have the worse defense of any side in the 8 by points against, also have major issues on turnover, a strength of ours. You have compensated for that with a great offensive game, yet the tigers have no issues scoring having the third best attack.

We also are top two for inside 50's but clear number 1 by a margin in stopping sides penetrating our inside 50. If I was a swan supporter I would be super excited to what Horse comes up with. Our strength naturally beats attacking sides, so i believe you will still attack, your kids seem to have a natural gift for it but I would not be surprised if your ball movement while still offensive focused changes.

Going to be a awesome game and fingers cross no injuries

You find that with all teams. Just read this thread. Richmond has a team full of plodders, a shocking game plan but have fluked 3 flags from 4 cause the opposition is not like it was 10-20-or 30 years ago lol.

Great point and I have heard this from a few people due to our tactic on manning the mark to allow our team defense to set up, that has been taken away due to the new rules. In actual fact we have the best defense in the league with the least points against. The big reason for that is that we set up defensively very deep as our coaches understand the game has now changed to a transition/turnover game. Swans have the worse defense of any side in the 8 by points against, also have major issues on turnover, a strength of ours. You have compensated for that with a great offensive game, yet the tigers have no issues scoring having the third best attack.

We also are top two for inside 50's but clear number 1 by a margin in stopping sides penetrating our inside 50. If I was a swan supporter I would be super excited to what Horse comes up with. Our strength naturally beats attacking sides, so i believe you will still attack, your kids seem to have a natural gift for it but I would not be surprised if your ball movement while still offensive focused changes.

Going to be a awesome game and fingers cross no injuries
You guys are still the bench mark, and will be until proven otherwise.

Hope to scare you guys, but can't hope for much more.

Good luck, let's hope its a fun game (as opposed to last year)

You guys are still the bench mark, and will be until proven otherwise.

Hope to scare you guys, but can't hope for much more.

Good luck, let's hope its a fun game (as opposed to last year)

Cheers mate and thanks for taking my point for what it is, a respectful oppo view. For the record I have tipped that game will be decided by 4 -6 goals to either side, i dont think its going to be a low scoring scrap with a 5 point win. IMO you will test your system against us and throw caution to the wind, makes the swans super dangerous and if we dont play to the level we will get done by 5 goals. If we can punish you on the turnover and convert we should win by that margin.

IMO its the perfect game for you so early in the year with the soft kill bombers coming next for you guys. Will allow you guys to instill learnings and belief so you will be stronger for it as the year goes on.

Cheers mate and thanks for taking my point for what it is, a respectful oppo view. For the record I have tipped that game will be decided by 4 -6 goals to either side, i dont think its going to be a low scoring scrap with a 5 point win. IMO you will test your system against us and throw caution to the wind, makes the swans super dangerous and if we dont play to the level we will get done by 5 goals. If we can punish you on the turnover and convert we should win by that margin.

IMO its the perfect game for you so early in the year with the soft kill bombers coming next for you guys. Will allow you guys to instill learnings and belief so you will be stronger for it as the year goes on.
I agree that it's the perfect game for us, if we get done badly gives us enough time to figure out why.

At the risk of being "that guy" who "accepts" losses, I will be happy if we lose this one, providing that we see:

- Continued fast, attacking and composed footy with as many uncontested marks, precision kicks and honoured leads as we can manage against an incredibly tough opponent who won't always allow us that. (In other words: don't let Richmond's superiority discourage us from playing the way we want to play, even if it doesn't always work.)

- Some tempo footy, as I think that's what's impressed me even more than the ball movement etc in recent weeks. It's just been our ability to slow things down when our opposition has the momentum, absorb their pressure and then know when to flick the switch back into offensive mode. It's a real sign of maturity that I didn't expect to see. Doing it against the very best would be incredibly encouraging.

And the bonus would be:

- The kids continuing to play well. They will hit a slump at some point, but if they can keep up their good performances and come out of a game against the reigning premiers knowing they played well, that will just give them an extra surge of confidence when they might need it. The initial spark of being fresh and new will wear off, and it will be up to the young fellas to continue to create that excitement for themselves. If the kids can stand up against the best, with arguably the best of them on the sidelines, then that will probably be the biggest take-away from it, and an invaluable lesson for them.

Prediction: Richmond by 25, though I think it will feel closer than that for most of the match.

Biggest single season jumpers in the last 10 yrs:

Lions 15th to 2nd
Pies 13th to 3rd
Tigers 13th to 3rd
crows 14th to 2nd
Bombers 18th to 7th
Eagles 16th to 4th

And the 5 yrs prior to that:

Crows 12th to 1st
Norf 14th to 4th
Port 12th to 2nd
Dogs 13th to 3rd
Pies 15th to 5th

Swans 16th to ????? ('20-'21)

Stuff them Tiges! I believe. :)

We do have the benefit of a soft draw this year after finishing 16th last year. Last year everyone played each other only once. The fixture is designed to make it easier to rise up the ladder than to stay up there.

Hypothetical.

We beat Richmond but then have a letdown against Essendon and get done by 30 at the SCG.

We show encouraging signs but lose to Richmond, then smash Essendon next week.

What’s a better result? And before anyone says winning both, that’s obvious. I’m just curious as to what people would prefer of the two.

Hypothetical.

We beat Richmond but then have a letdown against Essendon and get done by 30 at the SCG.

We show encouraging signs but lose to Richmond, then smash Essendon next week.

What’s a better result? And before anyone says winning both, that’s obvious. I’m just curious as to what people would prefer of the two.
Definitely scenario 2.

Win the ones you should, perform well and learn from the games you are not expected to take the four points in.

What I most impressed about watching the swans, and what I hope we bring into this week, is our ability to stand up when it matters.

3rd quarter when the game is in the balance against the lions, we gain dominance and win the game in that quarter.

3rd quarter with 5 minutes to go, Adelaide have had a period of dominance, 29 points the difference, if they score a few more goals then it's game on in the last. Instead, we have 7 scoring shots, 3 goals 4, and the game is over there and then.

We end games when we have to. The Tigers will have periods of dominance, what I want to see is us rising up to the pressure, even if we don't win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back