Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

MCL he said for tay

Well that's better than it could have been if correct.

Trouble is, Taylor is responsible for an uncomfortably high percentage of our centre clearances for the year. We really don't have a replacement for that.

Well,people keep saying our salary cap is tight.My point is,how could it be with all the players we cleared out last year.
It’s possible if the retained players are getting more money this year due to backloaded contract commitments falling due. My guess is we are right on the limit of the post COVID cap now. Which is why we had to ditch Phillips and part of Adz in the first place.

I did watch and agree with you but correct me if I am wrong but a Ruckmans primary role is to win first use (tap) so bulk of his value salary would have been based on this, if we can’t capitalise it is our fault. As for the other things yep we certainly overpaid but could have always been something that was going to be suspect, when was last time a ruckman was a truely dominant player as in game winner

Respectfully, we didn't pay Grundy $1mil because of his tap work. They paid him that much because they didn't view him as just another ruckman.

If you listen to Buckley he refers to Grundy as an elite modern prototypal ruck. They are not just tap ruckmen.

Did you watch Tim English this weekend? That kid is playing the way Grundy should be.

When Grundy was performing he was effectively an extra midfielder for us. Unfortunately other teams have figured us/him out.

Some people are suggesting that we have no salary cap room.How on earth do they know this.?We just cleared about one quarter of our playing list last year.Are they saying that we were three million dollars over the cap last year?
The fact that it is public that the ~$2-300k shortfall we are supposed to be paying Treloar this year was not able to be met by the Club and that we are making up for it next year or over subsequent years suggests that our cap remains tight this year at least.
We may be also paying out Beams and Langdon (supposedly he walked as he'd already taken a year for no contribution) this year, which is impacting this and they will drop out.
But certainly, despite dropping the wages of Stephenson, Phillips, Treloar, Shaz, Varcoe, Reid, Dunn etc and replacing them with no senior talent from other clubs, it seems that the payout still required for Treloar and uplift in Moore/Grundy/Daicos/Checkers' salaries have left us still incredibly tight in 2021.
If we pay Treloar his average 5 year shortfall payment say $2-300k and make good on this year's underpayment of a further ~$100k, it may not suggest we have a lot of free space in 2022. Hard to arrive at the conclusion that we end up with $800k shortfall to pay Petracca/Merrett etc from that position at least, depending upon how Beams and Langdon payouts dropping out but possible.

Let’s bite the bullet and trade JDG off to North while he still has some value.
Hah! After what we did with Treloar and Stevo, you expect the geniuses in charge to be able to get anything higher than a mid 20’s pick?

On another note, Grundy’s renaissance lasted one game looking at tonight’s performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few years ago, I suggested Greene was better than De Goey.

I think I’m right.

DeGoey is overrated. Never plays 2 good games in a row yet wants a million a year. He is lazy. He lost me after the GF when he couldn’t be ****ed running with his man with a few minutes left in a close game to win a premiership. If that wont make him wanna chase then nothing will.

Nothing to show for 1st round picks from 2015-2019 (5 drafts). It has really come home to roost.

And people really got sucked in by that successful trade period.

What about 2017? Apparently ifStephenson wasn’t available we might’ve taken Murphy with that pick. Murphy isn’t even getting a game.
Where’s the time trial king Rantall? Where’s Bianco?

Scouting and list management has made a meal of this list through poor selections, poor trading, bad contracts.

Yep said it a few times and you have been one of a couple to agree.

Alot of pain to come in 3 years time.

Howe Pendles Sidebottom Roughead all gone

Crisp and Adams be just over 30

Absolutely no young talent, majority of the kids we have are no good, yeah get angry guys, probably the same blokes who keep talking about Murphy.

Where ****ed.

Fin, Daicos and Henry will be the only ones around come 3 years time.

Good luck Graham.

Last edited:
Pies were poised to over run the Giants early last qtr, and then, nothing. A few inside 50 passes that were not marked, and an inability to exploit advantages at stoppages, and a general ennui across the board. Giants showed a stronger will and better organization when it mattered. A pathetic surrender in the end. The Vichy regime needs to be fully replaced at the earliest convenience.
My gut feel is had the mark been correctly paid to Grundy and he converts it's game on and likely a different outcome. From memory it could have put us within 1 goal or so and certainly with the momentum.

The rot started back when Eddie shafted one of the most respected administrators in football to bring back his mate Gubby Allen. We followed that up with 3-4 other decisions that will undermine our club for at least half a decade.

Our only hope of a quick rebound is if the 2020 draft class absolutely kill it and we nail free agency.

In my opinion we are missing the following pieces to be a top 4 side (in order of importance) -

- 2 elite midfielders
- A genuine small crumbing forward
- A true CHF
The rot started with the succession plan that just accelerated it.

Grundy, Moore, Degoey, checkers, daicos etc all got pay rises.
This. Saved $600K on Treloar which a huge chunk would have went to Grundy’s pay rise and Moore’s new contract as well.

Then you need to factor in Ned Guy being steamrolled in upcoming contract negotiations for some of our elite youngsters like the Brown brothers and suddenly there isn’t any money left for a second rate hack from the bush.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back