Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Finlayson can’t get a game for GWS until tonight and rips us a new one. What is it with him? He’s really not that good of an AFL player, but every time he plays against us, he’s a hall of famer.

watch us throw a Mil a year for 7 years at him...

It’s been well commented that we lack depth through the middle, but we don’t rotate enough through there as it is.
All of JDG, Daicos, Pendles, Sidebottom, Crisp, Adams, Sier, Greenwood should be running through there. McRae too when he comes in. Even C Brown and Thomas should have a short stint in there occasionally.

My enthusiasm is waning fast. I didn't expect finals this year, but we need to try and be competitive and provide supporters hope going forward.

If we're going to get something out of the year we need to start changing things whether it's personnel or game style. I've already conceded in my mind that barring a total collapse, Buckley will be seeing out of the year. I want him moved on, but mid-season changes don't happen often in this day and age.

McCreery was a limelight. Battled hard at every contest and gave a good account of himself on debut.

If nothing changes on the coaching front, we need start playing our kids and see what they can produce. Time to see if Murphy deserves the hype he received a few years ago? Start blooding the likes of McCrae, McInnes, Ruscoe, Rantall, T. Brown etc. It's better than the same old players being selected on average form.

Tonight was embarrassing. We had three day extra break, home ground advantage and an opposition with a decimated injury list and that's the best we could produce on the night?

Our problem isn't qualifying for GFs it's winning them on the day. On average we are in a GF every 3 years. Collingwood knows how to get back into contention. Anyone who thought we were a chance this year or next is deluded.

I love this argument of the 'every 3 years' whilst forgetting on average, if we wanna use that argument you could argue we win a flag once every 30 years seeing how we've won that many in 6 decades.

Last gf 2018 - yep 3 years then 7 before that, 2 in a row then 7 before that, then 12, then 9.

So no we don't make the gf only to lose every 3 years, we do it on average over 129 years.

We have to rebuild. Not winning a flag with this list. What do you think was going to happen? You drop down to go back up. Look at the dogs, swans. Just suck it up. If we'd snagged one in 2018/19 you wouldn't be upset with where the list was at.

Just suck it up eh? So that excuses the club for it's debacle of list management? Do you just suck it up when someone wraps a cricket bat around your head? 'No wuckers mate, I'll get up again, let me buy you a beer'

Don't know if you're aware but our ruckman recently signed a 7 year 7 million dollar deal, the same ruckman that wins every hit out known to man but 1 to advantage per game - yeah that bloke. So yeah the club hasn't learnt anything.

Oh and by the way we didn't 'snag' one recently, and even if we did doesn't change the fact the club couldn't organise a kick in a stable let alone a list.

But hey I'll just suck it up, nothing to see here, carry on Collingwood doing what you do best, bask in your unwarranted profile.

We have to rebuild. Not winning a flag with this list. What do you think was going to happen? You drop down to go back up. Look at the dogs, swans. Just suck it up. If we'd snagged one in 2018/19 you wouldn't be upset with where the list was at.
Oh come on, ifs and buts and fairy tales. 2 flags since 1958 that’s the real number. I’m so tired of making finals and getting close and anyone who is is kidding themselves.

I wouldn't get too carried away - Stevo had one good game in a weird bruise-free encounter against Port first up and has been ordinary since.

Treloar has been just ok for the doggies - yes he has done a few nice things each game, but he is hardly what you would call killing it based on his first 5 games.

If you're going to come into another board asking a question for which the answer is bleedingly obvious to anyone paying any sort of attention to AFl then at least get the facts around your premise straight first.
Treloar been “just okay”? 27 and 3 goals last week. 29 and 10 tackles yesterday. 4 games into the season at a new club coming off no pre season games. Harsh critic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How I would love rumours of an announcement of an imminent resignation coming from the club right now.. then watching the conference on a Wednesday or whatever.. would make my yr.

The last of the favourite sons being gifted a coaching gig with bugger all experience you'd think. But never say never at Collingwood. They'll always be someone in there that will try and promote a senseless tradition.

Last edited:
I love this argument of the 'every 3 years' whilst forgetting on average, if we wanna use that argument you could argue we win a flag once every 30 years seeing how we've won that many in 6 decades.

Last gf 2018 - yep 3 years then 7 before that, 2 in a row then 7 before that, then 12, then 9.

So no we don't make the gf only to lose every 3 years, we do it on average over 129 years.
Put another way - we've lost 2/3 of the GF we've played in. We haven't won back to back flags for 80? years.
Let's stop the cr#p about being the "greatest sporting club in Australia".
PS - last back to back- 85 years ago :(

Last edited:
Having slept on that abomination - I now feel worse.:(

A lot of the problem is in the heads of the players. We seem to be in a collective ‘couldn’t give a stuff’ slump.

The atrocious skills on display last night - in the same conditions against similar opposition when we are up in confidence - that doesn’t happen. Nowhere near as bad.

Personnel change may help, gradually bringing in new (or semi-new) blood. If they show something, it could give the team a lift. But if they don’t...

As someone else posted, this latest version of ‘rot’ started with the limp effort against Geelong in last year’s final, then rolled on through our off-season. Heaven help us in 2021.

I said tackling can be overrated and I didn't see any evidence of his electric pace before adding:
Very gutsy and did a very clever handpass in the middle at one stage but I didn't see anything to get excited about.

And this comment made you circle on back to the idea of banning negative posters?

You are making a fool of yourself posting such drivel.

And btw, why the hell shouldn't supporters be negative about a performance like that?

You took the opportunity to take a pot shot at a kid who was one of our bright lights.

There are about a million things I would criticise before having a go at first gamer.

There is nothing wrong with criticism, but you chose to have a crack at a first gamer who had a game leading 8 tackles, kicked a goal and who was having a crack.

It's pathetic.

A lot of the problem is in the heads of the players. We seem to be in a collective ‘couldn’t give a stuff’ slump.

This is what it feels like. And to me, it makes it feel like coaching is a lot to do with it. The coach has lost the players.

This is the key.

In hindsight, the Grundy contract was the red line.

When he insisted on seven years at the size, we should have facilitated a move to Adelaide for 2 first rounders. It was time to send a signal to our players and their agents. We have want people playing for their teammates and the club, not for the largest contract they can get by forcing our hand. If that's what you want, we will assist you in getting out subject to a fair deal from your destination club.

We held our nerve with Daisy. What happened to that Collingwood?
I agree. In most cases when you trade out the guns (like Dangerfield, Ablett to Suns etc) the other club gets something significant in return.
I don’t think the management of DeGoey and Grundy and even Beams have born as much of the blame for our salary cap issues as they should have. Players at clubs like Geelong and Hawks have taken less for more success but we were held to ransom and it’s had a massive flow on effect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back