Autopsy Round 4 = Collingwood 60-90 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I only watched the second half, but thought Mayne was one of our best.

Pendles Grundy Degoey and to a lesser degree Howe were all poor i thought as "bigger " names. Given pendles age we really shouldn't be relying on him anyway but what young mids do we have stepping up looking like a mid of that top tier bracket?

Thought Moore was wasted in def for another week as he gets dragged away from the play, largely taking away his strengths.

People keep saying Grundy was ordinary but won the taps the fact we can't capitalise on that is poor coaching nothing more nothing less, maybe the issue is the list managers deciding to value winning the taps at 1 mill a year. Also the JDG criticism maybe again it is our system can't utilise our good players. I for one thought Treloar was over rated (did think we treated him poor this year) but he is thriving at Dogs and actually hitting targets what does that tell us. Is it players or coaching?

He doesn't direct his taps well or mix it up enough that is where his part comes in, having a poor midfield or strategy is the other part.

Last night though he often looked a fumbly scared giant around mummy.
Grundy has lost his hard edge of his youth they over neutered him.

Last edited:
Quaynor was also way too loose on Greene. On of the goals was direct from a fast centre clearance and Quaynor was metres behind Greene. The kid is a goer but if he's going to play back, he needs to be a bit more accountable
Quaynor was a little unlucky on that occasion. Finlayson sharked Cox' tap and was heading in one direction toward the centre of the goals/forward line. Quaynor moved that way to provide support and Finlayson spotted up Greene who have moved across Finlayson's body toward the pocket and was open enough to hit up given the lack of pressure being applied from our midfield.
It's challenging as a defender when the midfielder streaming down has no pressure on them.
Quaynor also fills the role of being a sweeper in defence. We often have Roughead, Moore, Madgen/Mayne, Howe all flying and someone needs to stay down and provide ground support.

Greene is a bloody clever player and has taken Maynard to the cleaners before too with clever body work, despite Maynard being the stronger of the two.

Last edited:
Treloar was worth it. Beams was a disaster. Our time will come again. Give it 3 years.
3 years will require a huge turn around and change will have to start immediately. We would need to get games into the young players and decide what to do with the 30 year old plus players (e.g. does howe have any currency for a team in their window?). If we can't get back in the premiership window and complete a mini rebuild in three years, players like Adams, Grundy, Miochek will miss their window and Sidebottom and Pendles are done effectively. Even if we have an ace up our sleeve this off season (e.g. pettracca or the Bont) that's not gonna be enough to turn around this list in the short term. We're in a really bad position.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

Quaynor had a lot of good moments too in that first half, especially in the first quarter.

Green got confidence up and Quaynor started looking more lost as it went on.

Prob should of made the switch at halftime.

In reality should never have been on him. If Bucks wants to inject some run and carry into the midfield I would have thought Quaynor was a better option than Magden. Was a very odd match up and turned out to be a very bad one.

Agree mate. We have a huge cut, we keep
Throwing bandaids at it, at some point we need to get stitches to fix it

It's like repairing the soles of your shoes using $9 shoe glue from iga re.. what happens.. the s**t comes unstuck again.. and you're back to where you started and that re.. if you're going to get the job done right.. it's not even a Mr Mint job man.. go to a qualified shoe repair guy and leave that s**t for a coupla days to get the s**t right so you fully restore the s**t to it's former glory and that re.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Treloar was worth it. Beams was a disaster. Our time will come again. Give it 3 years.

Treloar was worth it, and he would still be a valuable contributor at the club for it not be the complete mismanagement of the salary cap.

Richmond, Geel played in last years GF and don’t have the salary issues we have had to deal with.

Richmond 3 out of 4 flags not having to salary dump - it’s amazing Hine and Guy are still employed at CFC.

Some people are suggesting that we have no salary cap room.How on earth do they know this.?We just cleared about one quarter of our playing list last year.Are they saying that we were three million dollars over the cap last year?

The rumours coming out of the club is its still tight but no longer bursting.

You need to remember we are paying 300k of treloars for 5 years and its been said (but debated by others) part of Phillips and Stephenson's, 150k is rumours.

Pretty poor performance tonight, wasteful in the first quarter and that set the tone for the rest of the night. I’ve been saying for a long time, that our goal kicking issues are not to do with our personnel forward of the ball but our decision making and skill delivering the ball in transition and into the fifty. Our skills and IQ are at under 10’s standards at times, there were some really comical sequences tonight.

This was another winnable game, no injuries diabolical...the umps had a shocker which on the balance of it all was not in our favour surprise surprise.

Mihocek - in a tough night for our forwards (on account of our delivery and the conditions), although Finlayson did well...I though Brodie was one of our better performers. Could have kicked straighter. But competed well, took some marks...plays like he’s a footballer.

Moore - Again solid down back plenty of intercepts and just so assured even in the wet. We were led to the ball at times, and that’s largely due to really bad turnovers up the ground. Can’tblame the defence for that.

Howe - I thought had a great game, seems to be getting confidence back into his body. We should see him flying high before long.

IQ - played better than Toby’s stats suggest. It’s a team game and you aren’t always responsible for the player you’re matched up on. Rotations occur throughout the play and you get drawn to help out and fill gaps. That’s ourteam defence that generally stacks up well. He rebounded well and he’s one of the few I’m happy when he’s got the ball.

Madgen - his stats are flattering, he was ok but not impactful and was one that fumbled and turned it over. He’s too slow and I don’t think he’s a premiership caliber player.

De Goey - has the talent, but doesn’t throw it around enough. Needs to run in straighter lines and be harder at the ball and man, pulled out of a contest in the second term which I don’t like. Needs to be more damaging with his disposal too. Still did some nice things, in a tough night for the forwards.

Cox - has some real X factor about him, his little taps, back heels and the like are really impressive for man who’s foreign to our game. I like when the ball is in his hands. Needs to be stronger at the ball in the air and hang onto more marks, he’s getting to the right spots at least. Better delivery will help.

Sidey - plenty of stats not much impact. Turned it over too much for a player that is highly paid and credentialed. We were let down by our top line players tonight.

Pendles - was shocking tonight, it’s not by standards I’m measuring here it’s the relative salary cap space he takes up for his output tonight. Seemed to be carrying a foot injury, still no excuse for disposal.

Grundy - one of his worst games for the club I think. Improved late as he out ran his fat opponent. Was stiff not to be paid a mark in the last. Was clearly frustrated as evidenced by his slide tackle on Adams.

Adams - not his best game, but let’s hope he recovers. Not a confirmed rupture by the way he was testing it a 3/4 time.

Thomas - in a game like tonight when everybody is down I look at effort, and Thomas gave that. 6 tackles is a good return. Nice goal too.

WHE - he improved on last week which wasn’t hard. Showed us what can happen when he gets the opportunity to deliver into 50...we need to orchestrate more of these situations, that’s hard when we can’t clear the ball from stoppage properly. Makes it tough for a player such as Will. He competed well tonight, the focus should not be on him it should be on the higher paid players...those who are responsible as leaders and prime movers.

Maynard - haven’t seen much of his run and carry, not sure what happening there. I reckon we should have thrown him on ball when Adams went out. We needed to mix things up. It’s a more sophisticated game in the middle and perhaps it doesn’t have that awareness as a defender. something to think about in the future though, we can’t be beaten that badly with the silver service we get from the ruck.

Noble - shocking, a candidate to be dropped. I’ve been on that for a number of weeks.

McCreery - a shining light on ‘debut’. Tackled well, played his role to a tee. Great one hand grab in the last. Loved his aggression. We need more of that, perhaps the senior players can learn from him! 8 tackles

Sier - was ok, not prolific. If his injury is soft tissue I would delist, he doesn’t work hard enough.

Brown - runs into dead ends, he tries to take the game on at least...tries to make a play. Good effort, 4 tackles.

Mayne - I like him in our side, I know many don’t. He brings that selfless gut running that is so important in the modern game. Was one of the cleaner players on the night. 80% DE!!

Daicos - we need to manufacture more uncontested ball for him, he’s one of the smart users...similar to Pendles in that way.

Roughhead - didn’t really get a read on him during the game. Somebody was responsible for Finlayson...Howe got him late.

Greenwood - he always needs a few games to work himself into some form...typical of a low skilled player. He toils hard, but was not at his sharpest.

Crisp - disposal was disgusting.

Treloar was worth it, and he would still be a valuable contributor at the club for it not be the complete mismanagement of the salary cap.

Richmond, Geel played in last years GF and don’t have the salary issues we have had to deal with.

Richmond 3 out of 4 flags not having to salary dump - it’s amazing Hine and Guy are still employed at CFC.
Rich players take pay cuts, Grundy asks for
Millions. Says enough

You took the opportunity to take a pot shot at a kid who was one of our bright lights.

There are about a million things I would criticise before having a go at first gamer.

There is nothing wrong with criticism, but you chose to have a crack at a first gamer who had a game leading 8 tackles, kicked a goal and who was having a crack.

It's pathetic.
You have to be joking. This forum is becoming a farce. He was the subject of a number of posts commenting on his game. His tackling was one of the features of his game many mentioned.

Being a football forum for opinions and discussion I provided a very beige observation that his tackles were not the result of run down from behind tackles which make a defense nervous.

We were told he had genuine pace. For pointing this out we have a group of nannies outraged and warning me I am an example of the negativity we are now looking to censor or block.

Go and get a life. I have made countless positive statements about individuals and the team.

If I was told by the club we have a new high flying aerialist and on debut he took 8 marks, all of them on his chest, I would make the same observation. There are regulation tackles and then there are tackles which rattle the defenders into panicked, rushed kicks, just as there are regulation marks and speccies.

I hope Beau isn't as sensitive as the negativity police on this forum.
When he does run someone down with his electric pace I will be the first to say well done. Until then, I will continue to give my opinion on a player's match day performance.

And who the hell do you think you are telling me who I am allowed to criticize? You say there were many others you would criticize before Beau. So there are rules about who is a suitable target for criticism and who is off limits?

Were you offended by the harsh critiques of Henry's first game? Were they justified?

And one final comment in my response. Explaining the fact that there are different types of tackling is not a criticism of anyone, just a factual observation.

Last edited:
Brayden Maynard was an animal last year. What on earth has happened to him? He's a shadow of what he was last year.

Needs a run on a ball or a change in role, has gone stale.

We have boring coaches that flog a dead horse rather than be proactive.

Paying an underperforming ruckman one million per year (for seven years) whilst looking good for the bottom four. Only at Collingwood.

This club is tragic.

Perhaps it was the rain streaming down his face and through his hair, but Grundy looked pale, thinner and unthreatening. His opposition could have known by staring into his eyes, 'I can take this man tonight', as indeed he did. It is our destiny. week after week, to watch 7 million dollars slip meekly away through the Herculean efforts of opposition second string ruckman, some of whom may be required to play only twice a year just to combat the man they have made their b*tch in Grundy. Then the greats of the competition in Nic Nat and Gawn will truly work him over. Grundy needs a rocket up his arse, though perhaps a lot, lot more to ever again achieve the heights of 2018.
He needs a ruck coach and some midfielders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back