Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

we’ll just see how he goes in the coming weeks i suppose.. and

geez, sorry, didnt know we werent allowed to comment on stengle anymore.. i’ll be sure to run it past you before I do next time..

Please do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats two very good weeks in a row for Seed, he has been one of our best this year so far

He always plays better when his contract is up for renewal.

Should cash in now and see if someone will give us a decent pick for him.

sh*t Vader - you are a broken record on Fog. He does some good work off the ball unlike others.

far from our worst

Hate to admit it because I love what Fogarty brings once ball is in hand, but Vader is bang on with this.

-He doesn't read the play anywhere near well enough to play midfield.
- Once the ball is out of his 10m radius he isn't interested and gos into not-my-problem mode.
- He looks lost as to where he needs to position himself on field when not in the play. Always seems to be looking around aimlessly instead of watching the play and working into a decent spot.
-Needs to understand that with his size, he is supposed to present as a marking option all over the ground not just up forward.
-Doesn't use his size in any meaningful way, I,e blocking, enough around stoppages.
-He is making the Crouch bros look like the hardest 2 way runners in the comp.
-Still looks very unfit and I wonder if there are deeper underlying issues with the lad. Shouldn't have been cramping up after today's performance.
-All up, his possession count coupled with the above, leaves us a man short in midfield rotation.

Last edited:

I thought he was pretty decent, but I was in the back row!
I was in the middle tier. First game at Adelaide Oval, in Adelaide to see family. Is it always this noisy? Maybe I am getting old.

The one thing I noticed at the game was how McHenry does all the fundamentals as best he can. He leads to make an option. If he gets there first he tried to win the ball. If he is under pressure he tries to have the ball bobble in the direction of a teammate. If he is clearly going to get there second he still goes as hard as he can to try to make the difference between a clean possession vs a slightly pressured possession. If he is not going to be a receiving option then he clears out to leave space. When he pushes up to a clearance he tends to hit it on the move.

I remain bullish on him, more so after seeing him live. I just think that if he keeps doing the fundamentals well then eventually the weight of numbers will start to be in his favour.

If not for ridiculous umpiring, we'd have gone down by a whole lot more. Had a lucky day to be gifted a 2 goal loss.

Definitions for Miserable

(adjective) causing or marked by an atmosphere lacking in cheer
(adjective) feeling unhappiness
(adjective) of low quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He always plays better when his contract is up for renewal.

Should cash in now and see if someone will give us a decent pick for him.

Like a lot of players seem to do
It will be interesting to see what we do with him, does he stay or does he go.
I don't think we will be short of delistee's and the end of the year, that might just save him if he keeps playing well.

I was in the middle tier. First game at Adelaide Oval, in Adelaide to see family. Is it always this noisy? Maybe I am getting old.

The one thing I noticed at the game was how McHenry does all the fundamentals as best he can. He leads to make an option. If he gets there first he tried to win the ball. If he is under pressure he tries to have the ball bobble in the direction of a teammate. If he is clearly going to get there second he still goes as hard as he can to try to make the difference between a clean possession vs a slightly pressured possession. If he is not going to be a receiving option then he clears out to leave space. When he pushes up to a clearance he tends to hit it on the move.

I remain bullish on him, more so after seeing him live. I just think that if he keeps doing the fundamentals well then eventually the weight of numbers will start to be in his favour.
You watch things way close than me then!
Was happy with Neds game, doesn’t mind getting on his bike.
Tbh I thought it was reasonably quiet today, although it was my first game for 8 months or so, so maybe I’ve forgotten.

Liked except the clearing out part. I see him constantly running into the marking forwards leading path,dragging his man with him.
Love the enthusiasm but someone has to tell him he's not a 6'4 tall forward.

Liked except the clearing out part. I see him constantly running into the marking forwards leading path,dragging his man with him.
Ned being a fisherman I imagine him:
Getting to a spot grabbing his rod, casting, realizing he hasn’t got bait on, reeling it in, putting bait on, putting it down, no bites in 5 seconds, anchor up, roar to next spot, rod goes overboard as he forgot to put it in the holder.
Grabs another rod casts in, s**t no bait on that one, reels it in, bait on, drops it down, no fish in 3 seconds, winds up, next spot....

Fair. I like when McHenry is first leading into space on the wing right after a defensive switch of play. Not so much when we are zig zagging up the line, would be better to have someone like Fog making those leads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good
Our effort is now consistently at the level required for AFL football. Our midfield is cobbled together with ex-defenders, a journeyman and a bunch of kids. Our skills were miles off today, effort alone is not going to win us too many games but it took a last qtr masterclass from Mundy, and a lesser extent Fyfe, to get Freo over the line.
Seedsman - i've never rated him but kudos to him for getting his career off the scrapheap.
Doedee & Smith - generals down back, leading as senior players should.
Butts - Taberner got a couple cheapies today but Butts improvement has been amazing. Less than 10 games (!) and handling the best key forward each week.
McHenry, Berry and Rowe - all showing good signs. I wanted Ned out after last weeks lack of discipline, he's gonna make blues but he does bring great energy.
Kelly was awful last week, much better today.
Sholl and Laird good.

Bad
Schoenberg was off with his ball use today
Tex looks sore
Only playing1 KPD, we've gotten away with it the last couple weeks, please bring in Murray or McAsey to free up Doedee.
Ryan taking uncontested mark after uncontested mark.

Ugly
Frampton - everyone can see it, why not the coaches?
McAdam - as posted elsewhere one good qtr in the last 8. That attempted mark in Eddie's pocket in the last...gtfo. If he's not fit rest him.

Ned being a fisherman I imagine him:
Getting to a spot grabbing his rod, casting, realizing he hasn’t got bait on, reeling it in, putting bait on, putting it down, no bites in 5 seconds, anchor up, roar to next spot, rod goes overboard as he forgot to put it in the holder.
Grabs another rod casts in, sh*t no bait on that one, reels it in, bait on, drops it down, no fish in 3 seconds, winds up, next spot....

Absolutely nailed it mate LOL.

I don't think McHenry is dumb, I actually rate his football IQ. His problem is massively overthinking each encounter, almost as if his brain is ahead of his body.

You can see him often do stuff like missing a forward handball to a player, where the ball is to that player's advantage but they just haven't gotten to that space by the time McHenry has disposed of it.

I think he gives away frees when tackling because he's not focused on executing the basic tackle correctly. He's already thinking of winning that HTB call and where to dispose it.

The fact he's often in the right spots but doesn't have the clean execution yet is promising if he can slow down, compose himself and fix his execution

I hate being proven right. As soon as they announced an unchanged line-up I knew they screwed up. Our best 22 was not world beating good teams. This means 100% we need to make changes. Rowies first question tomorrow to anyone from the Crows should be why are we not proactive at the selection table. I'm so pissed off, I knew we'd lose games we shouldn't because of the lazy selection strategies.

Berry, Rowe, Frampton need to be dropped. No question. There is no good from games like this when you screw up selection, back a group of players in who don't deserve it. Golden tickets are the worst culture to create because pressure drops off. Gradually since the Geelong game our pressure as decreased every week. How the actual f*** was that acceptable. We beat a deplorable north Melbourne last week. Selecting the same squad until losing is dumb. Where's the search to improve.

Losing today's game is unacceptable. That's a cross for Nick's 100%.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Seriously you are wanting to drop Berry and Rowe and keep McHenry in team for next week .

Geez Matty, relax mate... its a rebuild.

we’ve got the forward and defence set and we’ve got some promising young mids that need a little time to develop.. now all we need to do over the next two years is add an elite mid or two..
I can feel another intercept defender in our plans.

Hate to admit it because I love what Fogarty brings once ball is in hand, but Vader is bang on with this.

-He doesn't read the play anywhere near well enough to play midfield.
- Once the ball is out of his 10m radius he isn't interested and gos into not-my-problem mode.
- He looks lost as to where he needs to position himself on field when not in the play. Always seems to be looking around aimlessly instead of watching the play and working into a decent spot.
-Needs to understand that with his size, he is supposed to present as a marking option all over the ground not just up forward.
-Doesn't use his size in any meaningful way, I,e blocking, enough around stoppages.
-He is making the Crouch bros look like the hardest 2 way runners in the comp.
-Still looks very unfit and I wonder if there are deeper underlying issues with the lad. Shouldn't have been cramping up after today's performance.
-All up, his possession count coupled with the above, leaves us a man short in midfield rotation.

I'd agree with most of that, he's not a midfielder and never will be. We are playing him there as we have room in our rotations and it gives him game time.

Last edited:
I reckon McAdam is trying to play "tall" because Frampton is useless up forward.
Imo McAdam is realising that not only does he belong at AFL, but he can excel.

He just hasn't got to the development point of knowing his limitations and consistently excuting in what he is good at.

I'd agree with most of that, he's not a midfielder and never will be. We are playing him there as we room in our rotations.

Yeah, I'd prefer we just sit him on a flank and let one of the mosquito fleet take his spot in the rotation.

With Tex and Lynch now hobbled, he must take this chance to become our prime lead up fwd. Matters not if the delivery is crap and sails over his head. He needs to show work rate and keep working to good positions. It will come.

I don't think McHenry is dumb, I actually rate his football IQ. His problem is massively overthinking each encounter, almost as if his brain is ahead of his body.

You can see him often do stuff like missing a forward handball to a player, where the ball is to that player's advantage but they just haven't gotten to that space by the time McHenry has disposed of it.

I think he gives away frees when tackling because he's not focused on executing the basic tackle correctly. He's already thinking of winning that HTB call and where to dispose it.

The fact he's often in the right spots but doesn't have the clean execution yet is promising if he can slow down, compose himself and fix his execution
My post wasn’t suggesting he’s dumb if you meant me, more he’s just 100 miles an hr

A lot of people are really going to explode going through a rebuild.

We're a bottom 6 side beaten by a decent young team who are better than us.

We've improved on a lot of areas since last year from a coaching point of view and this has resulted in some wins against some average teams.

We came out on fire in round 1 and have slowly gotten worse since, while being just good enough to get over the bottom teams.

The young players are showing promising signs, yet are being exposed at times. This is to be expected.

We still don't have that elite talent coming through the midfield, which is why (broken record time) we need to target high end picks this year (talking top 5 at least).

I'm happy with the coaching so far. The game plan and structures are there. We now just need the cattle and more experience (i.e. Patience).

Imo Nicks nailed the presser. He's one of the few coaches we've had that I feel expresses the post mortem honestly and correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back