Review GBU Round 5 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that Clarkson and Nicks were on 360 and Clarkson said he thought Brayshaw was the most important to tag because he doesn't know how to deal with it yet, and Nicks was sitting there listening to the best coach in the league say that and then let the kid run around like a Headless chook racking up another BOG.

When are we going to start planning for the opposition and their weakness instead of backing in our own game plan every week. Every club out there knows if you can blanket Tex and have a defender that runs off him they are right in the game as it's our favourite Avenue to goal, shut that down and we look a little lost.

"Matthew Nicks Post-Match: R5" on YouTube

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The melts on this board from the usual posters are expected, but that wasn’t a poor performance today. Won centre clearances, got smashed in stoppage clearances but generally defended quite well until late in the 4th. ROB, Seed and Laird all good through the middle, Doedee and Smith continuing their good seasons down back. Sholl wasn’t too bad. Hamill tries to take the game on. Berry played his best game.

Just need to move on from Frampton though. While his marking was slightly better, he just isn’t a scoreboard threat at all and can’t make the distance from 40 metres. Berg’s strong game yesterday has to see him come in.
Did you watch the last quarter?

That's what happens when you replace Sloane with Fogarty. Today Fogarty played mostly in the midfield - he blew up in the first quarter, and barely touched it after that. The ball wasn't delivered on a silver platter, and - surprise, surprise - he didn't get near it on the occasions when he went forward. 3 goals from 5 disposals last week means nothing, given how bad North Melbourne are. Today is the reality of where Fog is at.
s**t Vader - you are a broken record on Fog. He does some good work off the ball unlike others.

far from our worst

It's hard to be too critical of the players today really. We lost this game yesterday when we announced the team.

Mchenry played an interesting game. Got far more involved then usual and the longer it went on, the more comfortable he got. Nailed a set shot from 35 he wouldn't have made the distance a few weeks ago. Saying that, he needs to really become a clean player. To be so fumbly at his height is not going to cut it.

I was expecting a horrid year from Seedsman but he has been excellent. I was wrong.

On SM-A205YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
We didnt lose the game at selection at all.. we lost the game because we lacked polish moving our ball into our forward line and we got towelled up in the midfield. Sloane wouldve been handy but hes injured..

so who do you think couldve come in from the SANFL side and made a winning difference?

and to your comment on mchenry.. he missed a set shot from 35 out against the suns on a greasy night in adelaide but he nailed one from 35-40 out the week before against the swans.. and another today.. maybe the one agaisnt the suns was a poor drop due to a greasy ball?..

Thought Seedsman was excellent again this week, has been very solid this year, must of taken on board what was asked of him at the end of last year.
We arguably have 2 of the better wingman in the AFL at the moment.

Spent most of the day playing behind as well, and hasn't done any ground level work off the talls since the Geelong game.
Coincidentally, Frampton's best game.

I reckon McAdam is trying to play "tall" because Frampton is useless up forward.

He has not even generated ground ball for the small forwards in the last three games.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Keays had an average game from where I sat. Mainly an uncontested player who doesn’t use the ball well.

In this game he had 31 touches but only 10 of them were contested. Just 2 clearances despite a full game in the midfield.

267 metres gained so that’s 8.6 metres per disposal. Which were mainly handball receives and uncontested marks. Went at 61 percent DE.

I get that we need him for his run and hustle with Sloane and Crouch out but when he is our no 2 midfielder we are always going to struggle vs the likes of Mundy and Fyfe.

After watching the SANFL and today I am somewhat concerned. The real changes that are needed are off field. I have a real problem with some of the players we have taken at the draft and our lack of trading quality in. Change is needed now.
Has Worrell got potential to give us something up forward in the long term ? He's 196cm tall has a great kick and has good speed and lateral movement for a tall? I like Newchurch also and believe the space in an AFL game will suit his run.

Keays had an average game from where I sat. Mainly an uncontested player who doesn’t use the ball well.

In this game he had 31 touches but only 10 of them were contested. Just 2 clearances despite a full game in the midfield.

267 metres gained so that’s 8.6 metres per disposal. Which were mainly handball receives and uncontested marks. Went at 61 percent DE.

I get that we need him for his run and hustle with Sloane and Crouch out but when he is our no 2 midfielder we are always going to struggle vs the likes of Mundy and Fyfe.
I thought he was pretty decent, but I was in the back row!

Has Worrell got potential to give us something up forward in the long term ? He's 196cm tall has a great kick and has good speed and lateral movement for a tall? I like Newchurch also and believe the space in an AFL game will suit his run.
Yeah I like Worrell a lot as a player. I think he can be a swingman. He's seems out of favour with Nick's though. Newchurch reminds me of a young Charlie Cameron. I think he has a lot of potential. His pace can be a serious weapon on an AFL field. Just needs to increase his tackling numbers and get involved a bit more but he doesn't need many touches to have an impact. Pedlar is gonna be a very good player and once he gets his fitness levels up he should be an automatic first 22 each week. Just want to see a bit more from Thilthorpe to give us reason to play him. Liked the look of Cook too. Good size, good pace and skills. Couple of preseasons and he should be a really good half forward.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back