Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt they collapsed but it’s so much easier to force that to happen when you convert chances and send the ball back to the middle. I know the scientific sports types aren’t a fan of momentum as a concept but in the game of Aussie Rules when 6-6-6 is enforced it’s so much easier to score than when the ball is camped in your half with 36 players.
Momentum is an intangible thing that affects players mentally so it is hard to track with numbers, but it would be difficult to say it doesn't exist after watching that game yesterday. It saps the opposition of confidence, makes them frustrated and everything becomes more difficult. I remember being in big wins and feeling like I could have easily played another game, and big losses where it felt like I was running a 20km half marathon in gumboots.

The sign of great teams are those that can overcome momentum swings away from them, I reckon. Our 07-11 team was like that - I never really thought we couldn't turn it around.

was our functional forward line.

Cameron in released Hawkins and Rohan, made our forward line more dynamic and predictable for our midfielders to kick to.

How many entries got easily rebounded by Melbourne, North, Hawthorn etc.
Hawkins really plays like a midfielder when the ball is on the ground. Good positioning, quick reactions, clean hands, brilliant disposal, amazing vision - I almost prefer him crumbing than our smalls.

I admit i am one of them... I was very happy with Stanley performance ... BUT lets see if he backs it up... we need consistency
And that goes with Rohan as well.. As CONSISTENCY = TEAM PEFORMANCE
Consistency needs to come from the MC too. I see no reason to drop either of them before the bye now. Give them the game time they need to build it up

Absolutely, but I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that McGovern went off, they imploded, and then our scoring slowed once they had a chance to regroup at half time.
We had already kicked four in a row and controlled most of the second half of the first quarter by the time McGovern went off injured. He might have stopped it being a fifteen goal drubbing, but we still would have won by ten imo. Their midfield were abysmal.

I think Cameron helps explain why we scored a lot, I don't think it explains speed of ball movement.

Surely players 'looking up' and having two rather than one key forward target makes a large difference to ball movement. Cameron's inclusion also stretches opposition defence and allows Rohan to choose between mark, staying down for the crumb, or defending the rebound, adding another layer to our attack. In a curious sense, we 'gain' a third (Rohan). It's a significant change to our forward line (where ball movement is directed), which provides new options when in possession. I'd say this will affect tempo.

Last edited:
I admit i am one of them... I was very happy with Stanley performance ... BUT lets see if he backs it up... we need consistency
And that goes with Rohan as well.. As CONSISTENCY = TEAM PEFORMANCE
Rohan was consistent. He had ten possessions up to half time and only got another three for the rest of the game.:cool:

I think Stewart is better. He can also compete and dominate in the air unlike Enright. Stewart needs to keep his current form going for another 4 seasons and he will end up with more all Australians then Enright.
That’s bullshit. You have a very poor memory.

yeah that was near me - idiot was sitting the row in front, some WCE nuffy who looked like they'd be better off supporting Collingwood considering the missing teeth

They were pretty disrespectful throughout the ANZAC Ceremony before yelling out - there was other WCE fans sitting behind them who moved as they wanted nothing to do with the idiot

Surprised he was given 2 warnings before being booted on the 3rd outburst - not sure what time he started drinking yesterday, but I've seen people at the cricket drinking all day not be that drunk, and yet this guy was still being served during the 1st quarter
I heard him on the radio. Husband was at the game and sitting nearby. Told me about it later in the day. Screaming out during the Anzac ceremony should be instant bootable offence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely players 'looking up' and having two rather than one key forward target makes a large difference to ball movement. Cameron's inclusion also stretches opposition defence, and allows Rohan to choose between mark, staying down for the crumb, or defending the rebound, adding another layer to our attack. In a curious sense we 'gain' a third (Rohan). It's a significant change to our forward line (where ball movement is directed), which provides new options when in possession. I'd say that definitely will effect tempo.
With Scott saying in his presser he wants to squeeze Sav in when he is good to go I wonder if he is playing with fire. It seemed like a really good balance yesterday between talls smalls and mediums.

However despite Blicavs' early stuff ups, we still need him to mark up on the taller KPF's and I really don't want to see Henry as our second ruck - so there is probably a case for him.

Sorry but you've got this completely wrong, and haven't even considered a third option - personnel.

I said this after our game against Hawthorn, having Hawk alone in the forward line, meant that our game was such that we had to protect our defense from quick rebound (because we had barely any genuine forward and oppo defenders could easily just sag off and rebound at will), and simultaneously try and pinpoint pass it to Hawk, without any other defenders intercept marking.

Flash forward to this round, and our forward line is completely different.

I've long said that Rohan as a 3rd or 4th tall, is a completely different player. When he's 2nd banana, he just has to stand around and occupy his defender (who is usually their 2nd tall) whilst not being able to get a run and jump at the ball himself. Yesterday, with Cameron and Hawk in the forward line, his role became completely different. Instead of getting Barrass or McGovern, he gets Sheppard instead - who is more an elite small defender, rather than a tall intercept one. When it wasn't Sheppard, it was Cole or Rotham - again no match for Rohan's speed and jump. Hence, Rohan gets a jump at the ball and also gets up the field and takes marks and gets involved, because he's not so worried about keeping his own defender accountable. Happened several times yesterday, that he would run and jump third man up, and had barely anyone on him because the other defenders were so worried about Hawk and Cameron - that's an example of how he can be so different in one round without coaching changes.

Next, Cameron in, means Hawk doesn't have 2 defenders on one, so each defender is completely accountable given how talented both KPF's are. Without one sagging off, it also has the flow on effect of keeping the small defenders accountable for each one of our small forwards in Dahl, Close and Miers. One on one, they're given a chance to crumb, effect pressure, lock the ball in, and generally play the game they want to, rather than being so worried about their oppo defender and protecting their midfield and defense downfield.

Finally, it means that our defenders and midfielders can be on the front foot more, because it means that they're less worried about having to protect their D50, due to the ball slingshotting out from no pressure from the forwards. Hence, that's why you saw more attacking footy from the both the mids and defenders, because they knew that even if it got turned over forward of centre, there was enough pressure being put on around the ball from the forwards and mids, that it allowed them to get back to their man without getting caught out the back.

I always said that I'd reserve my judgement on our earlier games, because of the complete decimation of our forward half - and it looks like (much to mine and all Cat's supporters delight) that this was indeed the case.

It seems that they spent all pre-season training a certain way, with a certain game plan, and that game plan was completely thrown out the window, when they didn't have the personnel to effect it. Now that they do, they can play the way they've been training, because they have the right personnel to do so.

I also think that's why Scott was getting so annoyed last week, because he knew they were capable of this, they just didn't have the players to do it. Ask yourself this (given your own logic statements) - what's more likely, changing a gameplan that you've practiced for months over the summer, in one game overnight...or having the personnel to effect said gameplan, and this changing the way you play?

Either way, it doesn't matter now, as Cameron is in, and that is the best I've seen us play since 2011!

Great post. In the past it often felt like we had to work hard for goals even when our midfield was on top, now it seems like our forwards are a closer match, much more well rounded, Cameron's natural ability for scoring from a groundball is abnormal for a KPF, the flow in effect of everyone being moved down a position just means less intercepted kicks and spoils to a boundary throw in, less congestion in our F50 and more opportunities for our small forwards.

Last year we were heavily reliant on F50 marks, it was a weakness that killed us in the GF. I hope our forward line can continue even under less dominant midfield supply

I don't get why people have been so down on him. It's been obvious for a while what he's capable of and tall youngsters always take time and run a bit hot and cold.
He's great when he is taking marks and going for the footy, I think he gets into trouble when he tries punching the footy. So many times when he tries to spoil he never kills the ball and it leads to goals. I hope the coaches have just told him to back himself in and mark the footy every time.

Absolutely, but I don't think it's entirely a coincidence that McGovern went off, they imploded, and then our scoring slowed once they had a chance to regroup at half time.

You can have more confidence kicking the long ball in when there's a couple who can contest above the shoulders, it always looks faster when you can straighten up.

Hawkins really plays like a midfielder when the ball is on the ground. Good positioning, quick reactions, clean hands, brilliant disposal, amazing vision - I almost prefer him crumbing than our smalls.

He's way better can hold his ground and fend off opponents, that's where size can be an advantage even at ground level.

Holmes looking every bit a Top 10 pick at the moment - maybe even Top 5 - , so I'd say that covers us for one year, haha
Kids coming in and starring in the VFL is a very good tell tale sign for the future. I still remember watching a VFL game featuring (I think) all of Ablett, Johno, Bartel and Kel in their first year at the club, young skinny 18 year olds genuinely taking the piss against seasoned state level and AFL listed players. I should’ve known right them where they were headed. Holmes has been named in the best few every game so far, future looks exciting. Nice little departing gift from Wells we hope.

Last edited:
With Scott saying in his presser he wants to squeeze Sav in when he is good to go I wonder if he is playing with fire. It seemed like a really good balance yesterday between talls smalls and mediums.

However despite Blicavs' early stuff ups, we still need him to mark up on the taller KPF's and I really don't want to see Henry as our second ruck - so there is probably a case for him.
The only way I think Sav can fit into the team is if he is willing to chase and tackle which he has shown in the past he can do. 3 talls can work as Tigers and Eagles have done it in recent times. You just need someone to sacrifice and work hard defensively too.

Kids coming in and starring in the VFL is a very good tell tale sign for the future. I still remember watching a VFL game featuring (I think) all of Ablett, John’s, Bartel and Kel in their first year at the club, young skinny 18 year olds genuinely taking the piss against seasoned state level and AFL listed players. I should’ve known right them where they were headed. Holmes has been named in the best few every game so far, future looks exciting. Nice little departing gift from Wells we hope.
even better it was tigers who gave us the pick to get him

The only way I think Sav can fit into the team is if he is willing to chase and tackle which he has shown in the past he can do. 3 talls can work as Tigers and Eagles have done it in recent times. You just need someone to sacrifice and work hard defensively too.
Who comes out, I wonder? Dalhaus probably, although he was ok yesterday despite not hitting the scoreboard.

They could do a shuffle and drop Atkins and move Touhy back. With Simpson and Higgins to come in, Holmes knocking down the door and Evans looking capable, the small forwards will need to be on top of their games to nab one of the three spots (maybe two more on the bench).

Clark also needs to do something special to squeeze into the backline/wing permanently. Barring injury I can't see any of Narkle, Constable, Jenkins getting another run this year. Zuthrie probably a few more to cover Kolo.

It's like the sunshine peeking through the clouds right now. A lot of upside and good problems to have.

Who comes out, I wonder? Dalhaus probably, although he was ok yesterday despite not hitting the scoreboard.

They could do a shuffle and drop Atkins and move Touhy back. With Simpson and Higgins to come in, Holmes knocking down the door and Evans looking capable, the small forwards will need to be on top of their games to nab one of the three spots (maybe two more on the bench).

Clark also needs to do something special to squeeze into the backline/wing permanently. Barring injury I can't see any of Narkle, Constable, Jenkins getting another run this year. Zuthrie probably a few more to cover Kolo.

It's like the sunshine peeking through the clouds right now. A lot of upside and good problems to have.
They would never do it but i'd be fine dropping Bews cause his kicking is so bad, move Tuohy back down there and that frees another spot up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back