Autopsy Round 6 2021: Hawks comeback from 32pts down, defeat Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Easy call as his eyes never looked back at the incoming ball. That is one thing he needed to do which the umpire would’ve been looking for.
Personally thought it should have been play on. Though I don’t really like the front on contact rule. I thought himmelberg hit ball first. And didn’t really make any contact after that.

Ive seen the front on contact rule abused so often with players jumping under the ball into a defender who is actually playing the ball and getting a free kick. Should at least get a hand on it in order to be payed a free kick as well as the defender not hitting ball first.

Last edited:

Viddiot

All Australian
Apr 2, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
One thing I've taken out of the post game presser with Clarko that I love.

At half time, we were screwed. We could have stayed that way, like West Coast vs the Flogs.
But the coaching group kept our boys up and about, kept us mentally in the game.

Clarko acknowledged our 1 Quarter fade outs must be rectified. He mentioned our flat spot came at the wrong time (last quarter) vs Melbourne so we were unable to make it right.

He's not disconnected or in some dream land. The way the lads are staying in the contest shows they are playing for the coach and the club.
What I've realized in reflection today is that it's not one or two weak links in our side. When we have bad quarters it's because we collectively go missing.
If we can use the middle of the year to learn to put 4 consistent quarters together we can go as far as anyone else. We're only a game behind challenging for the 8.

One thing I've taken out of the post game presser with Clarko that I love.

At half time, we were screwed. We could have stayed that way, like West Coast vs the Flogs.
But the coaching group kept our boys up and about, kept us mentally in the game.

Clarko acknowledged our 1 Quarter fade outs must be rectified. He mentioned our flat spot came at the wrong time (last quarter) vs Melbourne so we were unable to make it right.

He's not disconnected or in some dream land. The way the lads are staying in the contest shows they are playing for the coach and the club.
What I've realized in reflection today is that it's not one or two weak links in our side. When we have bad quarters it's because we collectively go missing.
If we can use the middle of the year to learn to put 4 consistent quarters together we can go as far as anyone else. We're only a game behind challenging for the 8.
He's certainly got the playing group behind him.

I take my hat off to TOB - he was pivotal in us getting back into that game

I have never been his biggest fan but gee if he can play like that at CHB he is first 18 no problem plus makes some room for Jeka to have a crack

WillowSF

All Australian
Jun 2, 2009
California
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I take my hat off to TOB - he was pivotal in us getting back into that game

I have never been his biggest fan but gee if he can play like that at CHB he is first 18 no problem plus makes some room for Jeka to have a crack

I like Tim O’Brien and congratulations on a great game but he’s not a key position player. He just doesn’t have the body or strength. I see him rotating between half back and half forward as needed. He’s also been in our system for a very long time and has not been able to find consistency. I hope I’m wrong but at 27 I doubt he’s going to get much better at Hawthorn. Could be good at a contending team like Port.

The Cleaner

Team Captain
Oct 6, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes!

We must finish bottom 2 for the next 3 years! That's what football is all about!!!!

Winning is for losers!

If only exclamation marks delivered silverware.

Who even said "bottom 2 for next 3 years"?

Scrapping out a narrow win over last year's wooden-spooners at home has inflated some estimations of where we're at. A dicey free kick gets paid the other way at the end and the same names are doom-merchanting - just as they were mid-Match Day thread.

We're not currently a mid-table team, and shouldn't expect to be at this stage of development. A vast list turnover still looms ahead. Any future sustained success will be underpinned by successful draft intakes of the next few seasons - just as it was in our recent dynasty. We sure ain't doing it with this group and a cup of magic beans.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Today we had a moment when Finn came on, Lewis and Kosi were working well in the forward line, and I thought “all is as it should be”.

Of course Finn came on and did nothing, that’s what second-gamers do. But I hope he’s in next week. Look at Kosi after a few games on the trot. Lewis will be the same if we persist. That moment where he rushed his shot on goal - it’s just something that will improve with more games.

Can’t wait to see Brockman, Reeves, Downie, DGB in this side. We already know what Day can do.

Need to try a new group of players on-ball. Would love to see Morrison at centre bounces.

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Can’t wait to see Brockman, Reeves, Downie, DGB in this side. We already know what Day can do.
These are the guys I want to see playing ASAP.
No more Cousins or Howe unless one of Tom/JOM/Worpel are injured.
We just don't need either one.

It's not easy coming into a new club, and recruits from other clubs are easy scapegoats, but I can't see what Hartigan contributes.

MJA33

All Australian
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You have to give our recruiters some credit, Kosi, Lewis, Hanrahan, and Moore which is a lot of our forward line and were not high picks (Jeka to come too).
Yes add in Morrison, Hardwick even Sicily. The media have a go at us for “not going to the draft” by not having used 1st round picks over the years. However they give us 0 credit for what we have actually picked in the draft from later picks and developed into solid AFL players.

Last edited:
Easy call as his eyes never looked back at the incoming ball. That is one thing he needed to do which the umpire would’ve been looking for.

Honestly it doesn't even matter IMO if his eyes were always on the ball anyway as completely ignoring the front on rule, he still chopped the arms anyway and that's a free whether front on or coming from behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sorry Scrimshaw not even in the same league as birch at this stage long way to go for the young man. Birch was one of the best half back flankers we have had​

Birch was a star and clearly well ahead of Scrimmers at this point in Scrimmers career. Let's hope he becomes half as good.

However Scrimshaw is already a far superior player above his head than Birch in terms of marking. Birch was the shortest 6 foot 3 player ever lol.

Is anyone else not overly impressed with Mitchell's game at the moment? I know he gets plenty, but I just think he is wasting stacks of it and his possessions slows us down. Either does a nothing sideways kick, or handballs to a player in traffic.

I actually thought Omeara, Worpel and Cousins worked well together in the last and probably won it for us. Mitchell's disposal and decision making is still way off 2018 form and is having those games opposition supporters love to heckle him bout. High possession, little impact.

Overall I agree we aren't getting bang for buck for the amount of times he gets it. Gives it to players under pressure a lot and also calls for it himself when in poor positions, putting himself under pressure. Which isn't to say he doesn't have some good stuff too as it would be hard not to with the amount of the pill he gets.

He made a lovely spot of of Breust at one point which set up a goal. We need more of that composure and distribution.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
I like Tim O’Brien and congratulations on a great game but he’s not a key position player. He just doesn’t have the body or strength. I see him rotating between half back and half forward as needed. He’s also been in our system for a very long time and has not been able to find consistency. I hope I’m wrong but at 27 I doubt he’s going to get much better at Hawthorn. Could be good at a contending team like Port.
I seriously doubt any other team would want him.

Birch was a star and clearly well ahead of Scrimmers at this point in Scrimmers career. Let's hope he becomes half as good.

However Scrimshaw is already a far superior player above his head than Birch in terms of marking. Birch was the shortest 6 foot 3 player ever lol.

Can't really criticize him for his play on Thilthorpe either, he was playing way under height and not his role.

He should have adapted a bit and went the spoil instead of the mark because he kept trying to intercept it even though he was over matched for height.

Yes Scrimshaw is better overhead but Birch' run and carry and laser left boot would be so valuable in this day and age.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
You have to give our recruiters some credit, Kosi, Lewis, Hanrahan, and Moore which is a lot of our forward line and were not high picks (Jeka to come too).

Let's give some credit to the recruiters if that forward line turns into the forward line that ends up being a competitive finals team, let's not jump the gun at this stage when we're a bottom 4 side with a pretty poor forward line.

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Three things I liked about this weekend:
1. Grit - despite having an injection of youth, we don't give up as a general rule. Coming back from 32 points down is great.
2. Kosi - who doesn't like it when a forward gets loose and kicks a handful of goals?
3. The form line - it doesn't feel so bad to lose to Melbourne by 50 points last week after they beat Richmond the week after.

What needs improvement:
1. Three quarter efforts and opposition runs on goal.
2. The funny AFL scheduling that has us starting games before 1pm.
3. Not having Kayo to watch the game live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back