Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Riley Collier-Dawkins

Votes: 36 13.4%
  • Jack Graham

Votes: 26 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Few weeks ago I was completely done with him and thought he had no place anywhere in our senior side but his last two weeks have been excellent
Just gone back to basics with great pressure in the forward line and working his ass off by getting into dangerous positions

Does anyone know why we aren't flying straight to Perth? It seems ridiculous that we move hotel from Olympic Park to the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and train at the SCG, when we could of flown straight to WA and got acclimatised to Perth, the time zone, Optus stadium etc.

Either:
  • the RFC has made the decision, which would be plain dumb
  • the AFL has made the decision, which is more evidence that they are sticking it to us for the Marvel comments and/or hate us
  • WA has made it the only option, which would be fair enough, but there's been no comment in the media about this
The bombers are on the ground there and feeling very good about their form at Optus and WA in general....and we're flying in the day before giving us no advantage, for reasons that no one has explained.

point 2 AFL decision

He's not depth. He's still best 22. And he's still required until someone forces him out.
The dave astbury hyenas have been coming at him for ten years 🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020 .....in 2021 needed him for ruck duties he was a contributor, played sore he was a contributor, we flogged him last year thru need... and the niggles caught up with him, he came back and was a rock, same scenario this year. can see miller getting a go soon as have hugo, martyn and mansell have. some people have short memories dave finals performances have been minimum fuss but still magnificent. dimma no doubt will rest him and freshed him up for the pointy end of our campaign.

Last edited:
Yeah have to agree with those changes, it's a weird look for us though hey, down to one small forward (Aarts) and he's the slowest of the bunch.

But I think we're at the point where the small forward pressure isn't working as well and we now just need our best footballers playing. Can't keep carrying guys who aren't getting the footy and also aren't applying much pressure.

Based on that your changes are correct. Deep midfield, plenty of mids who can rotate forward.

I'd play Caddy a combination of forward and wing, rotating with Edwards, and play Pickett in the guts.

Yeah agree with the small forwards call. I think the edge we found in 2017 when we had Riewoldt as the sole tall forward, and Rioli, George and Butler using their pace to outwit defenders, is sadly now over. The ability to keep the ball locked in your forward 50 now that kick ins get an extra 15m is way harder. Scoring is much more about attacking off intercept marks and rebounding, that’s when we play our best footy. Apart from our small forwards ability to apply pressure, it’s only really Aarts who crumbs and gets front and center. I almost think we’ve killed the attacking nature of players like Rioli and overcorrected their game around defense.

Anyway, yesterday’s setup looked so much better. We’re less predictable with the extra tall and it means Jack can get up the ground and use his smarts around the ball rather than crash packs. I’d give George a spell, move Bolton and Edwards through there as smalls. And then get Caddy rotating as the third marking option when Chol goes in the ruck.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don't think there's any room for him unless you want to drop Caddy, but it's sad Pickett won't be able to play his first AFL match at home in Western Australia this week.
reckon pickett is a certainty to play with shedda 50/50....hugo will be the one to make way and george under the microscope too.

Would not be surprised to see Toby out. His knee early looked ordinary. Clearly got a jab to play on, but often the swelling that occurs afterwards leads to games missed - with the bye round following, if there is any aftermath from that clash then rest him, he is so so important to us. Chol to ruck, with Pickett & CCJ providing the back up

OUT: Toby, Castagna
In: Pickett, Sheeds (if available) - if not, a Rioli - not positive which one tho

Does anyone know why we aren't flying straight to Perth? It seems ridiculous that we move hotel from Olympic Park to the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and train at the SCG, when we could of flown straight to WA and got acclimatised to Perth, the time zone, Optus stadium etc.

Either:
  • the RFC has made the decision, which would be plain dumb
  • the AFL has made the decision, which is more evidence that they are sticking it to us for the Marvel comments and/or hate us
  • WA has made it the only option, which would be fair enough, but there's been no comment in the media about this
The bombers are on the ground there and feeling very good about their form at Optus and WA in general....and we're flying in the day before giving us no advantage, for reasons that no one has explained.

Is there a reason they are not playing this game in Darwin like last year? Thought that was a great thing for the national game and with the MCG being out of action, seemed like an obvious back up. Could obviously be logistical issues (ie ground not ready etc)

Someone's gotta do it.. AFL own most of the media so who else is gonna say it
Watched ABC TV for a couple of minutes.
They had a sports talk show on called Offsiders.
Caro was on.
She is always running down teams, bagging clubs and their administration.
Never a positive word for our great game.
No responsibility just toxic pus.

Is there a reason they are not playing this game in Darwin like last year? Thought that was a great thing for the national game and with the MCG being out of action, seemed like an obvious back up. Could obviously be logistical issues (ie ground not ready etc)

NT locked Victorians out and are being a bit more strict than WA.

Last edited:
Dunno about that their wins have been against Saints, Pies, Dockers (H), norf and Eagles. Eagles away is their only decent win. They've also been beaten by Carlton and Hawthorn. They are a team on the up but we should beat them comfortably.
We should but I still think it’s their best opportunity to beat us in a long time.

Cotch brings a unique intensity to the midfield but Cotch's body needs management. 7 games out of 11 gives Ross/RCD types a chance. Which is great when we win. Crows & Giants games: all good. Not so good: Cats & Lions. Prestia, Edwards and Lambert are a bit injury prone too and our depth was exposed in our losses.
Win or lose the flag, questions about the careers of Houli, Astbury, Cotch, JR need to be asked. CCJ had a great game, see if he backs it up. Miller & Nyoun haven't played any senior footy but are close I reckon. And the guys could replace Astbury
No questions don't have to be asked. If he can play he plays and that's as simple as it gets. He plays as long as he feels he is up to it. You really don't get how important he is to the team. Ask any player and they will tell you. We have also saw rcd can play alongside him anyways. Some of you guys see a guy turn 30 and have a little niggle and your eyes light up hoping they will retire.
Jack has also been playing well this season too , unusual why he is bought up . Be careful with the handling of legends at a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jesus Christ you're a sh*t fan. 3 time flag winner worst player in the comp. You have no clue.
Some people on here think everyone o our list should perform week in week out like Dusty on Grand Final day. Players have roles to play for the team. Like you say 3 premierships says he's doing something right.

Yeah have to agree with those changes, it's a weird look for us though hey, down to one small forward (Aarts) and he's the slowest of the bunch.

But I think we're at the point where the small forward pressure isn't working as well and we now just need our best footballers playing. Can't keep carrying guys who aren't getting the footy and also aren't applying much pressure.

Based on that your changes are correct. Deep midfield, plenty of mids who can rotate forward.

I'd play Caddy a combination of forward and wing, rotating with Edwards, and play Pickett in the guts.
Even without Castagna and Rioli, we can still roll players through the forward line who have some toe. Besides Aarts, all of Bolton, RCD, Pickett, Edwards, Graham and Chol have enough pace to put pressure on, and Martin and Caddy have enough forward savvy to make up for any lack of pace they might have.

In saying all that I would not be surprised at all if Castagna retains his spot.

Can't have such a poor start like yesterday better teams will bury you , again in the beginning of the 4qt .Worrying for me is that this year when teams get a run on they score a few to many goals usually we control the damage with little affects that's a area we need to address.

Have to stay with the extra tall for me looked so much better been a trend this year talls having a major impact.

The fact though Georgie got shifted up the ground at all is telling. As i said in another post, we never see that with Dan. Dimma does trust Georgie to fill in holes as the game ebs and flows and that has tremendous value

I think if R-S though can come in and be in direct competition with Dan & Georgie, that is a massive win for us. Both boys look too comfortable with their spot and role and need some hungry eyes vying for their spot. Ralph-Smiths best chance of keeping a spot comes finals time is as a forward who can provide Dan/Georgie like pressure, + rotate up the ground. He is proving to be a great utility for us - looks very likely to be our "finals sub"

It's early, but has talent the kid and stays involved Rioli and George need to lift simple as that.

Even without Castagna and Rioli, we can still roll players through the forward line who have some toe. Besides Aarts, all of Bolton, RCD, Pickett, Edwards, Graham and Chol have enough pace to put pressure on, and Martin and Caddy have enough forward savvy to make up for any lack of pace they might have.

In saying all that I would not be surprised at all if Castagna retains his spot.
Couldn’t agree more we have so many options to play that small forward role
Edwards,
Bolton,
Lambert (when fit),
Baker,
Stack,
Graham.

Acknowledge the role George has played but as Dimma has always said we are a system based side, and someone is injured/ dropped another player comes in and does the job.

Back