List Mgmt. Trade and F/A - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah after his last month or two of AFL, I’ll concede on Weideman. Just not doing enough at senior level. Doesn’t get involved in the game.

At present I wouldn’t hand over an early 3rd for him

I wanted a ready made player because the thought of waiting till the end of 2022 to land a top 10 KPF talent... and then wait potentially years for them to develop... is an excruciatingly long time to wait for a decent full forward ☹

I want a ready made KPF as well. But need to be elite. Would love to target McKay as a free agent in 2023 when Carlton goes on yet another rebuild and the Pies are back in the finals.

But I do think the saying that KPF takes years to develop is a bit exaggerated. There are definitely more developing project talls as they're a rarer commodity and clubs are willing to take them late in the draft and be patient. No one's willing to take years to develop a project winger.

But a true top end KPF talent can also impact immediately. Just look at Thilthorpe, Logan McDonald, the King brothers, Naughton etc. They're developing just as quickly as other midfielders in their draft class. If we can earmark our top 5 pick next year for a KPF, can still play them immediately and have Cameron/Mihocek provide some buffer in the seniors.

I want a ready made KPF as well. But need to be elite. Would love to target McKay as a free agent in 2023 when Carlton goes on yet another rebuild and the Pies are back in the finals.

But I do think the saying that KPF takes years to develop is a bit exaggerated. There are definitely more developing project talls as they're a rarer commodity and clubs are willing to take them late in the draft and be patient. No one's willing to take years to develop a project winger.

But a true top end KPF talent can also impact immediately. Just look at Thilthorpe, Logan McDonald, the King brothers, Naughton etc. They're developing just as quickly as other midfielders in their draft class. If we can earmark our top 5 pick next year for a KPF, can still play them immediately and have Cameron/Mihocek provide some buffer in the seniors.

True many of the KPF kids can impact straight away... especially if they are already of a good size, already playing well against men in the SANFL or WAFL.

But some KPF still take time... look at H McKay. Was a 1 goal a game forward for his first three years on the list. Now has bloomed into an elite KPF. I don’t want to potentially wait til 2025 before we have an elite full forward again

I agree on Murphy but would have to see what Ruscoe can do as a defender before agreeing to retain him. He does not look up to playing as a forward.

Ruscoe might get his chance against Freo if Maynard is an out.

I know I'm going against the grain, but I just don't think Murphy has the attributes to play AFL footy, but I think Ruscoe does.

I think Murphy can still play a solid role at AFL level if they keep him in a wing / half back role which is only what we've been grooming him for pretty much ever since he came to the club. No more trying to get him to play as a hit up half-forward.

See this: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-and-f-a-part-3.1252351/post-70613189

Thought I'd dig this up whiskeytown. Don't think we even need to wait till trade period for this to be settled. He'll most likely be dropped for Ben Brown/Melksham and struggle to get back in for the rest of the year.

Not having a go and was a good debate. But we should never give up a first/second rounder for VFL form. They might make good moneyball trades with a pick downgrade in the 3rd round like Darcy Cameron, but first and second round picks should be reserved for best 22 players with proven AFL form. Same goes for Riccardi. Overrated on this board given he's a fringe player at GWS and only worth a gamble if we don't have to give up anything worthwhile for him.

I'm glad we have Graham Wright now to tighten up our trading negotiations.

Yeah you'd only bring Weideman or Riccardi in if they were coming for basically nothing in return. I don't think anyone apart from that one brave GWS poster was saying Riccardi would be worth anything of much value in return via trade, given where he sits on their list and how little opportunity he appears to have going forward.

Both of them are sitting in late 3rd / 4th round pick territory in the sort of "good will" deal a club does in letting a player who isn't really required go elsewhere for potentially more opportunity at AFL level.

I think Murphy can still play a solid role at AFL level if they keep him in a wing / half back role which is only what we've been grooming him for pretty much ever since he came to the club. No more trying to get him to play as a hit up half-forward.
I don't think they're playing him out of position, I think they like him and want to find a position for him. In defence, not enough agility for smalls or mediums or enough size for talls. Wing, doesn't offer or promise to offer anything in terms of transition. So they're giving him a crack up forward. I don't think he's got much chance of making it. You can't make a career out of incredibly courageous chest marks and I don't know what else he offers.

Yeah you'd only bring Weideman or Riccardi in if they were coming for basically nothing in return. I don't think anyone apart from that one brave GWS poster was saying Riccardi would be worth anything of much value in return via trade, given where he sits on their list and how little opportunity he appears to have going forward.

Both of them are sitting in late 3rd / 4th round pick territory in the sort of "good will" deal a club does in letting a player who isn't really required go elsewhere for potentially more opportunity at AFL level.
The problem with Weideman is that he can only play as a pure FF, he needs to be coming out of the square to be effective. Unfortunately for him McDonald is doing that job and probably Brown before the weed. I don't think he's a star but if he came really cheap it could be worth a punt.

Maybe one to keep on the back burner, but with McKay now signing for 2 years on big money, Carlton's cap must be getting tight. They're paying good money to Charlie Curnow, who hasn't played since 2019. If Curnow manages to make a comeback, maybe we could look at him at the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Murphy has Potential and is viewed as a utility in the Goldsack role (Wilson as well)
They are both early 20's had multiple preseasons and bridge a gap to the kids
Either can replace Mayne as wing/HB starting next season
Just don't see it with Ruscoe, Crocker Mk 2. only chance is maybe as a defender

These are some typical comments on Weideman from posters in the BF Melbourne game review thread v Collingwood.

Weid is done. Ship him off. He's hopeless.

Anyone still think Weideman should be in the side ahead of big bustling Ben Brown?

Never want to see weedman in the red and blue again. TBF hasn't been sited for weeks anyway.

The obese campaigner playing full forward for Nar Nar Goon 3rds should be in the side ahead of Weed.

Weed ain't doing anything. What the hell are his total stats for the year. Will look like one game for Tmac.

I've got no doubt Weid's time is up. Terrible delivery today but you can't keep putting up doughnuts and expect to survive.

The loss doesn't fall on Weideman's shoulders bla bla. Be that as it may, he's now played five games for a grand total of 39 disposals, three goals and nine tackles.

Then there are the delusional ones who think he's worth a 2nd round pick and one special poster that wouldn't trade him unless it was was a pick inside the top 25 coming back their way. The same group are rating Maynard as being worth a 2nd round pick at best, or even just a straight swap for Weideman. High-level comedy at its finest. 🤣

Then there are the delusional ones who think he's worth a 2nd round pick and one special poster that wouldn't trade him unless it was was a pick inside the top 25 coming back their way. The same group are rating Maynard as being worth a 2nd round pick at best, or even just a straight swap for Weideman. High-level comedy at its finest. 🤣

If we do trade Maynard as a straight swap for Weid. Im done with this club and its player/list management

This is just my observation - but I think his forward role is more of defensive one. Play him the rest of the year and see how he develops.

CCJ is the guy I would be chasing - been developing nicely in the VFL and has looked promising at AFL level.
No chance of the Tigers letting him go.
They’ve been developing him to be the replacement for Riewoldt. He’s most likely Richmonised with their culture and loves it there.

Pfffft. Maynard for Weideman. Catch the Melbourne supporters off guard after an unexpected defeat, and in their anger they give a true assessment of the player. Not one person in the game thread said a positive word about him.

Gonna be a long off season for some.

I’d hate to lose Maynard, in fact there’s 42 other players on the list I’d trade before him.

However, he’s entering his prime, still contracted in a position that’s one of the easier ones to fill. You’d get a good return for him, pick up the phone and enquire about Jordan Clark for a 1/3 of the price, salary and asset wise. Use the return and salary cap relief to try get into the Cerra sweep stakes.

This is the future now, I hope our clubs doing the same and has the contingencies in place

Gonna be a long off season for some.

I’d hate to lose Maynard, in fact there’s 42 other players on the list I’d trade before him.

However, he’s entering his prime, still contracted in a position that’s one of the easier ones to fill. You’d get a good return for him, pick up the phone and enquire about Jordan Clark for a 1/3 of the price, salary and asset wise. Use the return and salary cap relief to try get into the Cerra sweep stakes.

This is the future now, I hope our clubs doing the same and has the contingencies in place
I'd be disappointed that Maynard wanted to go.

No chance of the Tigers letting him go.
They’ve been developing him to be the replacement for Riewoldt. He’s most likely Richmonised with their culture and loves it there.
You may well be right - we would have to pay overs to get someone like him out. But if I were CCJ would I be willing to take another couple of years playing second fiddle given Riewoldt still looks like he has a couple of years ahead of him. Or he could come to Collingwood to be the No 1 kahuna up forward from day 1.

If I were him, I would be looking to maximise my opportunities to play every game - that may not be at Richmond.

I'd be disappointed that Maynard wanted to go.
Me too. But you couldn’t blame the guy, half the supporters on this board don’t even sound like they want to support the club.

Imagine working for an employer that has sacrificed your best years over things you can’t control, but you trust, who knows what he’s been promised, why he extended or agreed to get paid to help out the club only to see us paying other clubs, getting small returns for players and sacrificing his future by already conceding the next 3 years.

It could also have nothing to do with that, I just think this is just sport now. And of course, be completely factually incorrect from a questionable media performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back