Autopsy Round 21, 2021: St.Kilda v Sydney *PRIDE GAME* *COFFIELD 50TH*

Remove this Banner Ad

Spoke to someone at the club regarding Allison, asked about the drafting strategy behind it. Was told he was incredibly raw, but showed some serious traits of being an excellent CHB as a junior and its starting to show now. Apparently his ability to out position an opponent one on one is elite.

That’s exciting if true.

If we’re going to turn him into a back can it please be a Darcy Moore type.

I still can't agree that Billings adds any boost to our team. Byrnes and Connoly were both pretty poor last night but I can't see that Billings would have done anything above what either of them did.
He probably would have been about the same as Byrnes was, who had arguably his worst game of the season. And while Leo barely touched it, Billings just wouldn't bring that dash and dare he showed us glimpses of last night.
Bring on a late 2nd rounder for him imo.
Hopefully we re sign him. His form was excellent early in the year before he did his foot pick 30 for billings would be stupid trading.

Roo has had zero influence on my opinion of Seb

Felt the same way his whole career.

The one thing you can’t knock with Ross is effort. And I’m always surprised by his quickness for someone I have been watching for nigh on 10 years.

That clanger at the end was more about no one presenting I thought.

Dunstan looked tired last night. Like he could really benefit from a week off.

Don't agree, early this year he was getting his 28 possessions a week and he uses the ball really well. He's not damaging but he's very solid. Byrnes and Leo both looked like young players that got a bit lost. Byrnes dropped his marks and looked a bit heavier in the legs than he has all year. I'm his biggest fan but he looked young and inexperienced like Connolly. If we want to play finals we need quality depth. If a kid can push him out we are going very well, I was happy for him to go for a top 10 pick but suggesting that you'd take a late second for him is just crazy talk.
Yeah his early season form was decent but both Byrnes and Leo have gone past him and their best is now better than his best. This is just my opinion though. Billings has not shown any elite skills for the 2nd half of this season, in fact I'd have him on about par with Ross this season. Give me youthful exuberance ahead of lazy, soft outside football Billings has dished up this year.

Team adjusted for trade period and personal bias.

Outs:
Ross
Dunstan
Billings
Hanners

Ins: much better draft/trade hand
The last thing we need to do is lose 2 genuine regulars. We will most likely lose Dunstan though. Hanners isn’t going anywhere. Why would he.

I’ve loved watching Byrnes and Connolly recently but last night both had flat games and given we need our best players in I would be happy for them to make way for returning players.

Having said that I believe both will feature prominently in future development.

Yeah his early season form was decent but both Byrnes and Leo have gone past him and their best is now better than his best. This is just my opinion though. Billings has not shown any elite skills for the 2nd half of this season, in fact I'd have him on about par with Ross this season. Give me youthful exuberance ahead of lazy, soft outside football Billings has dished up this year.
That is such a biased call. Connelly hasn’t played a game better than an average billings game. Matter of fact would be dropped if we had other options. Byrnes has been good but billings best is way better than his best at the moment. They eventually could go past billings but neither are close yet. And why can’t all 3 play next year. We will be better with all of them. Luckily the club know how much his foot impacted him after about round 5.

Hopefully we re sign him. His form was excellent early in the year before he did his foot pick 30 for billings would be stupid trading.
Happy to put this out there. If we do end up trading Billings, which is no certainty and I actually expect him to re-sign. There is zero chance we get a 1st for him and unlikely to get a high 2nd either.

Happy to put this out there. If we do end up trading Billings, which is no certainty and I actually expect him to re-sign. There is zero chance we get a 1st for him and unlikely to get a high 2nd either.
Agreed and that is why we would be crazy to lose him. Same with Ross.

That is such a biased call. Connelly hasn’t played a game better than an average billings game. Matter of fact would be dropped if we had other options. Byrnes has been good but billings best is way better than his best at the moment. They eventually could go past billings but neither are close yet. And why can’t all 3 play next year. We will be better with all of them. Luckily the club know how much his foot impacted him after about round 5.
Agreed and that is why we would be crazy to lose him. Same with Ross.
They will be handy depth players for sure. Just depends on whether Billings is able to accept that's really all he is these days and will need to take a pay cut and accept his spot in the team isn't guaranteed week to week anymore.

The one thing you can’t knock with Ross is effort. And I’m always surprised by his quickness for someone I have been watching for nigh on 10 years.

That clanger at the end was more about no one presenting I thought.

Dunstan looked tired last night. Like he could really benefit from a week off.
Complete disagree. Ross picks and chooses when to put effort in. Will sprint for a cheapie but won't bother to chase and tackle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They will be handy depth players for sure. Just depends on whether Billings is able to accept that's really all he is these days and will need to take a pay cut and accept his spot in the team isn't guaranteed week to week anymore.
If they are with us they will be more than depth. They will be regulars as they have been for years And he will be offered less than previously. I’m pretty he would know that.

I'm with you happy to move Billings on, and free up some salary cap and a draft pick and offer Ross no more than $400k if he doesn't want that show him the door. Billings - Ross and Dunstan will take us no where last 6/7 years has shown that, be brave back some youngest in and bring in a couple of players

If they are with us they will be more than depth. They will be regulars as they have been for years And he will be offered less than previously. I’m pretty he would know that.
I don't think they'll be regulars. Billings has really stagnated this year so if players like Byrnes, Leo, etc, keep improving, not to mention Gresh, Clarke, Hanners maybe etc all to come back in I don't see how he expects to have a solidified spot in our team every week. He's been in the system for 8 years and this is his ceiling. We aren't a top 4 team yet so need guys who are going to elevate us to that next level not solid, ordinary players like Billings. But he is a great player to have as backup for injuries.

I'm with you happy to move Billings on, and free up some salary cap and a draft pick and offer Ross no more than $400k if he doesn't want that show him the door. Billings - Ross and Dunstan will take us no where last 6/7 years has shown that, be brave back some youngest in and bring in a couple of players

Last time I looked there is 23 in a side. Blaming 3 players for taking us no where is crazy stuff. Every premiership side would have players with less ability than those 3.

I don't think they'll be regulars. Billings has really stagnated this year so if players like Byrnes, Leo, etc, keep improving, not to mention Gresh, Clarke, Hanners maybe etc all to come back in I don't see how he expects to have a solidified spot in our team every week. He's been in the system for 8 years and this is his ceiling. We aren't a top 4 team yet so need guys who are going to elevate us to that next level not solid, ordinary players like Billings. But he is a great player to have as backup for injuries.
Billings isn’t going to get 500k as Bach up. Same with Ross. Back up is either kids or 300k players. And he certainly isn’t an ordinary player but premiership sides have a number of ordinary players in them. I will keep saying it. His foot has stuffed up a great start to the season.

Last time I looked there is 23 in a side. Blaming 3 players for taking us no where is crazy stuff. Every premiership side would have players with less ability than those 3.
It's not a talent issue, it's a play style issue. Billings can average 28 touches by running around by himself on a wing/forward flank. It's the fact he has no defensive pressure, his so called elite skills have dropped right off and he just takes the easy option every time. He isn't bad by any stretch and he certainly could be part of a premiership side but the issue is he doesn't make us better than what we've been the past decade. Leo or Byrnes have the potential to actually elevate us to that next level.

Hi early season form is seemingly always better than his late season form. Makes you forget when it comes to trade period that he's not always a meek bedwetter.

Get rid of him.

It's not a talent issue, it's a play style issue. Billings can average 28 touches by running around by himself on a wing/forward flank. It's the fact he has no defensive pressure, his so called elite skills have dropped right off and he just takes the easy option every time. He isn't bad by any stretch and he certainly could be part of a premiership side but the issue is he doesn't make us better than what we've been the past decade. Leo or Byrnes have the potential to actually elevate us to that next level.
If Billings is so good there would be Clubs chasing him, but no one else wants him either
Has no hurt factor

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back