• Horne-Francis

Votes: 227 92.7%
  • Callaghan

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 5 2.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If this is your no1 pick apart from Daicos then the waters are shallow. Though I think people get fixated on one or two players and this wil be the draft where a number 35 was the no1 pick, and you top 20 could end up at finishing neat the tails end, itā€™s that sort of year and the during covid. Personally I really think Hobbs from Ballarat unless he lacks pace and marking ability is the real no 1
1629353256499.gif

If this is your no1 pick apart from Daicos then the waters are shallow. Though I think people get fixated on one or two players and this wil be the draft where a number 35 was the no1 pick, and you top 20 could end up at finishing neat the tails end, itā€™s that sort of year and the during covid. Personally I really think Hobbs from Ballarat unless he lacks pace and marking ability is the real no 1
Welcome back Brett

Look. I get why you're sceptical about high end draft picks. Since your team last finished top 4 (2000) you've had Livingston, Walker, Murphy, Kennedy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Weitering, Dow and Walsh as Top 5 National draft picks. And then traded in top 5 picks like Judd, McLean, Plowman, Pickett and Setterfield. And what have you seen any of them achieve for your club?

So youā€™re claiming Hobbs should be pick 1 and you havenā€™t seen him play? If you had of seen him play you would know if he ā€˜lacks pace and marking ability.ā€™ I think what youā€™re really trying to say is that you have NFI.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

So if he slides to number 2 after we pick Horne and GWS take Hobbs with the collingwood pick, you'd be expecting for Carlton to get him in 2 years when he lands on the GWS reject pile like your recruiters have sourced the rest of your team then?

The best players in the comp have never gone the same order as they were drafted and it is very rare that the player taken with the first pick was the best of the lot. That isn't the purpose of the draft and it isn't why #1 or the top end of the picks have such a high value. They are valuable because there is much less risk with stand-out juniors becoming very good AFL players, if developed well, than there is of picking out the player in the 30-40 range that is going to bolt. Having an early draft pick tends to be a risk averse position, if you don't want that access to the best available then clubs can trade it down for multiple later picks then you can go for the shotgun approach to list management and hope you hit something.

If Horne was available last year, he probably would still have been in the top 3 taken. He is similar to Fyfe and Danger in that he isn't an elite kick, but he has that kind of power quality and is very capable going forward. Who knows if that translate well at AFL level or how it gels with our group or if our game plan would suit him or not. It will be up to our recruiters and list managers to determine if they think he can reach his potential with us or not.

I like Hobbs, not sure where he will end up, but after taking Phillips and Powell last year I don't think we will get another inside mid given LDU and Simpkin are capable of getting the contested possession and clearance either.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look. I get why you're sceptical about high end draft picks. Since your team last finished top 4 (2000) you've had Livingston, Walker, Murphy, Kennedy, Gibbs, Kreuzer, Weitering, Dow and Walsh as Top 5 National draft picks. And then traded in top 5 picks like Judd, McLean, Plowman, Pickett and Setterfield. And what have you seen any of them achieve for your club?

Lol careful, youā€™ll be on arson charges after that.

Let's hope we get some form of national champs this year. It will be a really good indicator of ability against his own age group. It will also be a good opportunity for JHF to show his wares as a midfielder rather than a half forward.

He better light it up at the champs because, if he doesnā€™t, this thread will implode.

He better light it up at the champs because, if he doesnā€™t, this thread will implode.
I'm literally waiting for you guys not to pick him just to see the amount of damage control this board will do. It will break the website. šŸ˜‚

I'm literally waiting for you guys not to pick him just to see the amount of damage control this board will do. It will break the website. šŸ˜‚

Nothing will beat when you didnā€™t get pick 2 for Crouch last year. Could hear you crying from your mumā€™s basement all the way from Victoria!

Nothing will beat when you didnā€™t get pick 2 for Crouch last year. Could hear you crying from your mumā€™s basement all the way from Victoria!
I said band 1 for crouch dude which ended up being pick 2 because we were bottom. Was he worth pick 2? No but thats how band 1 works when you're bottom. We would of got more for him if we traded him when he won the bnf in 2019.

I said band 1 for crouch dude which ended up being pick 2 because we were bottom. Was he worth pick 2? No but thats how band 1 works when you're bottom. We would of got more for him if we traded him when he won the bnf in 2019.
You should have traded matt crouch before he spend the year out with injury too.

Brett Cummings honest questionā€¦ will you be most disappointed when:

(A) Adelaide didnā€™t get band 1 for Crouch
(B) Adelaide didnā€™t select Hollands or McDonald
(C) Adelaide miss out on Horne-Francis
I'd rather pick 2 last year than horne this year. We got totally ****ed over with crouch and it was our list management's fault.

I would just like to say let's cool down a little until we see more from Horne at Nationals.
History tells me NAB League form way superior to SANFL League from longer term recruiting so i would like to see Horne against his peers some more..

Interesting SANFL League stats to compare in their draft year:

Jason Horne (15 games):

Disposals: 15.5 (at 73% DE)

Goals: 0.7 per game

Tackles: 3.7 per game

Dylan Stephens (13 games):

Disposals: 18.1 (at 79% DE)

Goals: 0.6 per game

Tackles: 4.5 per game

I personally love Horne and expect him to be at Roos - but I would certainly be listening to offers from Crows and looking at Nationals for some more comparable form.
We have seen Horne in one game this year with the AFL academy where Daicos and him had midfield minutes - Daicos had 26 and Horne 12.

in my mind picking daicos at 1 is a no brainer!... not in a million years do the pies not match. Fk em!

Back