List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton are roughly where Melbourne were 3 years ago. Lots of early draft talent and underperforming acquisitions It can turn around quick.

That doesn't mean I want it to of course.

Biggest difference is that Melbourne supporters don't expect anything. Carlton supporters are furious they aren't already winning flags, and are baying for blood. Melbourne had room to persist with the system they'd been setting up, Carlton will have to make big changes (possibly sacking the coach) to sate the masses.

Doesn’t move the needle
Not disagreeing with you, just thought it was interesting, thought they need another inside mid unless they think Cera can help with that

Biggest difference is that Melbourne supporters don't expect anything. Carlton supporters are furious they aren't already winning flags, and are baying for blood. Melbourne had room to persist with the system they'd been setting up, Carlton will have to make big changes (possibly sacking the coach) to sate the masses.
As evidenced by their desire to win trade week every year, they’re relying on the tactics that got them flags in their ‘glorious’ past, footy is different now

For some people, there's still an association between Carlton and success. I've certainly never experienced it myself, but I hear they used to win premierships, quite frequently in fact. They took their off-field advantages for granted and assumed they were just brilliant because they're Carlton and they're great, and since the AFL introduced equalisation it's been failure after failure.

Or maybe he's just hoping to fleece a rich but poorly managed club. He'll get AA squad spots for playing just a good average season in a team that mostly loses, he'll appear on every footy panel show as often as he wants, might even get a nice gig as the visy ambassador. If you don't care about winning a premiership, Carlton can deliver you basically everything else.

Take it from someone who has.....you don't want to.

Not disagreeing with you, just thought it was interesting, thought they need another inside mid unless they think Cera can help with that
They’d be misusing cerra if they did

I disagree they have 4 stars and a lot of overpriced shlubs sure there are a few talented youngsters but they haven’t nearly got as much drafted talent as melb did

Yeh I heard this about Richmond too.

Martin might be head and shoulders above them all but McKay, Walsh, Weitering, Cripps are a pretty good nucleus to compare to the Richmond one circa 2016.

It's not like I want Carlton to be anything but an abject failure. But it's strange in football how people run down opposition lists like they're eternal piles of s**t when the fact is they've stockpiled as much early talent as anyone and it'll just take the right list maturity and coach to spark the match.

"The Blues and Magpies are understood to be interested in the hard-running ball-carrier who has played on the wing and has also shown he can push forward to hit the scoreboard."

Paper bags are back!

Their list has 3 A-graders in Walsh, McKay and Weitering, a few B+ types such as Cripps, Williams and probably now Cerra. Outside of that there isn't much. That's their problem
forgot charlie curnow too.
when fit he's a more than capable 2nd key forward.
Agree they have a lot of holes in their system though.

Martin might be head and shoulders above them all but McKay, Walsh, Weitering, Cripps are a pretty good nucleus to compare to the Richmond one circa 2016.

It's not like I want Carlton to be anything but an abject failure. But it's strange in football how people run down opposition lists like they're eternal piles of sh*t when the fact is they've stockpiled as much early talent as anyone and it'll just take the right list maturity and coach to spark the match.
McKay, Walsh, Weitering & Cripps vs Reiwoldt, Martin, Rance & Cotchin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're awfully quiet at the moment.

Usually at this time of year we've got our hand down the pants of every player agent in the land and journalists are watching their "North Melbourne are chasing" / "North Melbourne missed out" copy write itself.
Its a welcome change

It's not like I want Carlton to be anything but an abject failure. But it's strange in football how people run down opposition lists like they're eternal piles of sh*t when the fact is they've stockpiled as much early talent as anyone and it'll just take the right list maturity and coach to spark the match.

have they though?, Richmond brought in pretty much role players that complimented their game plan and the entire squad bought in to that game style, there was some small amount of trading in (at the start) but they solidified the core first.

carlton conversely have just recruited high priced flavours of the month and paid a significant premium. 900k for a flanker who they thought might play midfield. For 900k you get a premium midfielder than you know can play midfield. You’ve got McGov, Williams,Saad, Martin on premium wages who are flankers that portion of the cap should be spread around the midfield first (as they do have good bookends). They simply haven’t been paitient enough and again not fleshed out the core first

have they though?, Richmond brought in pretty much role players that complimented their game plan and the entire squad bought in to that game style, there was some small amount of trading in (at the start) but they solidified the core first.

carlton conversely have just recruited high priced flavours of the month and paid a significant premium. 900k for a flanker who they thought might play midfield. For 900k you get a premium midfielder than you know can play midfield. You’ve got McGov, Williams,Saad, Martin on premium wages who are flankers that portion of the cap should be spread around the midfield first (as they do have good bookends). They simply haven’t been paitient enough and again not fleshed out the core first

I don't think they've blown their shot at all mate.

The only bust out of that lot really is McGovern. Williams, Saad and Martin all offer talent on their lines and once they're in the Carlton system are unlikely to go cash chasing if the team unit starts gelling.

Somehow I don't think Carlton will have a problem landing anyone they chase on top of that anyway. They've not leaked a single player because of "cap squeeze" yet and I don't think it's about to magically start.

The only bust out of that lot really is McGovern. Williams, Saad and Martin all offer talent on their lines and once they're in the Carlton system are unlikely to go cash chasing if the team unit starts gelling.

Somehow I don't think Carlton will have a problem landing anyone they chase on top of that anyway. They've not leaked a single player because of "cap squeeze" yet and I don't think it's about to magically start.
I’d would have too soon, they need to extend Walsh.

sure those guys are talented but they shouldn’t be getting elite pay packs

I don't know if they would have much left in their kitty though, just based on who is OOC:
1629780161480.png

Williams/Saad, a bevy of small forwards playing to their potential and they could also be a midfielder away from competing with the top 4..

But it’s Carlton, they’ll go the shortcut route, pick up a coach who’s plan will be for 36 months, without realising half their list will bail without wins on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back