Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Going onto the bloke's social media platform to have a crack at him directly is pretty poor IMO.

I know if I ran into Dawson in the street I'd probably shake his hand and say "gotta do what's best for you" and I'm perhaps naively confident most here would too.

Having a vent here is a different story and I've certainly done it, but to me there is a clear divide between what gets said as part of this community and reality.

Going onto the bloke's social media platform to have a crack at him directly is pretty poor IMO.

I know if I ran into Dawson in the street I'd probably shake his hand and say "gotta do what's best for you" and I'm perhaps naively confident most here would too.

Having a vent here is a different story and I've certainly done it, but to me there is a clear divide between what gets said as part of this community and reality.
I would probably ask him what's up. Why he chose to leave.
In the end he's a bloke I don't know, I'm angry, but I've got friends who do things that make me angry as well. I would still try to figure out why they did stupid stuff even if I disagree.

Unfortunately social media shows us just how close a lot of our fellow citizens are to barbarians. Quite unnerving and dismaying, but probably best that we know this about them.

spot-on ... and i'm not on social media so my conscience is clear ... well, on this issue, at least

Even on here, I don't get the cracks at his character (this isn't directed at you, just a trend), like we know all the facts to make any judgements. Like we can all be upset he's leaving (I definitely am), think he's made a bad call to some degree, or wonder why. Doesn't mean he's soft, pea hearted, all about the money, didn't love the club, outright lied to us, or been intentionally deceptive. That's all in peoples heads, not some set of established facts. Also, I realise that last sentence is probably an absurd sentence to write on BigFooty, a fan forum.

Also I reckon you're right, most people on here wouldn't say boo to him in person (which is good). There's always self-professed hardnuts (again not directed at you) that will talk big about a player on here, but would probably avoid eye contact and say something vaguely positive if they met them. As you say, I'd definitely shake his hand if I bump into him in Adelaide in the future, thank him for his time with us.

Last edited:
Even on here, I don't get the cracks at his character (this isn't directed at you, just a trend), like we know all the facts to make any judgements. Like we can all be upset he's leaving (I definitely am), think he's made a bad call to some degree, or wonder why. Doesn't mean he's soft, pea hearted, all about the money, didn't love the club, outright lied to us, or been intentionally deceptive.
We're just obviously disappointed to be losing a gun player. Circumstances might have changed to affect his decision but I was sort of settled on him staying based on what he'd said in public and was disappointed he didn't use his words more carefully. Having said that there could be numerous reasons why this is the right choice for him and his partner. Lots of people have struggled with feeling isolated in the past 2 years and connection to family is very important to wellbeing.

We're just obviously disappointed to be losing a gun player. Circumstances might have changed to affect his decision but I was sort of settled on him staying based on what he'd said in public and was disappointed he didn't use his words more carefully. Having said that there could be numerous reasons why this is the right choice for him and his partner. Lots of people have struggled with feeling isolated in the past 2 years and connection to family is very important to wellbeing.
Yeah I mean I get why some are disappointed in the way he spoke and then the decision to leave. I hung my hat on that as well, was all preparing to lose George, then Dawson went bang. A few posts back I suggested maybe he wasn't thinking of leaving 2 months ago ('Swans fans shouldn't worry') and more recently might have felt like he should talk the club up for the future, as a way of saying thanks (or he felt bad). Maybe naive, poor PR, but I don't expect him to be some communications god.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t surprise me if the family angle is true to be honest. Perhaps less him and more his long term partner.

Covid doesn’t happen they probably make it work, but the last couple of years would be hard for a partner without a support network, potentially starting to plan a family without much support. Particularly when SA players have largely been able to remain in their state.

I am sure there is plenty of cash involved but I tend to believe the family line in this instance.

Still pissed off about it of course, particularly if he hasn’t been very clear with the club so we could plan around it.
He's only 24 .
How "long term" can his long term partner be?
Was he dating her in Primary school or something?

Who has a long term partner at 24?
It's weird.

I agree with Dubai Quacker .
"Family reasons" usually means $$$$.
Which is fine.

But why do fans need to feel players are all such wholesome family people?
They aren't running for parliament.
It's weird.

Last edited:

Totally agree
Personal abuse on social media is pretty poor form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's only 24 FFS
Was be dating her in Primary school or something?

Who the hell has a long term partner at 24?
It's weird.

Which is fine.

It's weird.
I don’t know how far but pretty sure she moved over with him so am guessing they were dating whilst he was at school.

He's only 24 FFS
Was be dating her in Primary school or something?

Who the hell has a long term partner at 24?
It's weird.

Which is fine.

It's weird.

What makes you think the people running for parliament are such wholesome family people???

LOL

Hope I don’t offend anyone but the go home factor/family is a little soft at times. It’s not for ever
Even worse when it is because of their partners needs/wants. If they were in an everyday job and there wasn't the option to get the same money back home, would they be asking their partner to take a pay cut of tens of thousands so they could go home?

Even worse when it is because of their partners needs/wants. If they were in an everyday job and there wasn't the option to get the same money back home, would they be asking their partner to take a pay cut of tens of thousands so they could go home?
Agree. Especially at that young age.
Dude needs to spread his wings...

Tend to agree.

How many soccer or NFL players play their careers at "home"?

I'd say hardly any. They all move around.

this is ridiculous - they’re not going home the third bedroom in their parents house. They are going to their home state where they’re happy and comfortable. Why are you all so bloody judgemental? Just like millions of Australians who go to the city for a few yearsand then move back to their country towns - I understand disappointment -he is just about my favourite swans player and feels like a modern day dale lewis mark bayes.

but he’s not owned by the swans - he’s an employee and like millions of employees each year he’s staying in the industry but changing his employer - he’s got a better offer and is off.

why does that cause you anger ? Anyone who has been around and followed professional sport knows players move on and new players come in. He won’t fit inky list of all time swans players as mark bayes does but I’m not ten anymore so I don’t bawl my eyes out either.

there’ll be a new favourite next year or the year after…let’s see what we get next and see how that goes

I think this is a COVID fallout that just progressed as each week passed and the Swans were locked up in a bubble for weeks .
After Jordon remarks about Swans supporters not being too worried, the club spent many weeks away with games at Marvel, Tasmania etc and I am sure the calls to and from family at SA has built up until he was unable to feel that Sydney was anything but a long way from home. Even now we can probably see he may battling to get back to Sth Aust with no guarantee that the border will be open to him even after quarantine.
Another COVID year possibly ahead in 2022, would certainly present all players who play away from their home state, plenty of reflection.
That said , like so many others I am devastated.
So many mention his beautiful left foot missiles, let us not forget those courageous marks he increasingly took in the latter part of the season.
Maybe, just maybe, COVID will go away and he will ask to come back.
The events of the last week will give all clubs, serious pondering as about who to take in future drafts. SA and WA players would seem be no go targets from now on to NSW and Qld clubs.
The acquisition of Heeney, Mills, Campbell, Gulden, Bell, Sheather, nearly forgot Wicks who had a sensational year,
Naismith ( if he can line up again). Parker’s resigning, helps a little but current circumstances makes even the Vic contingent a cause for concern.
I hope the academy is finding some good local backups![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I found a story from a local newspaper when he was drafted. They don't sound like the sort of family to put him under any pressure to move. A few quotes below...

Jordan’s dad Tony said it was an eventful night, after an uncertain few days leading up to the draft.
“There was a bit of yelling and screaming,” he said.
After a busy couple of days filled with meetings and media commitments, Jordan flew to Sydney this morning and starts training at his new club on Monday.
“I think I am more excited than anything to move interstate, as I have been living by myself for the past year so I feel as though I won't be bothered too much by moving,” Jordan said.
Despite the increase in travel time to visit their son, Tony and wife Marian are confident he’ll be comfortable with the move.
“He’s been living out of home for the past three years, and it’s really just an extra plane ride for us,” Tony said. “He’s a very level-headed lad.”
Tony said he and Marian were just happy that Jordan will be working and learning in an encouraging and professional environment.
“We met with Sydney officials yesterday who were very professional,” he said. “We are thankful that he is going to a club with great ethics and morals.”
“I'd like to thank my family, especially my parents for all their time and effort they have put into my football, and never putting any extra pressure on me to achieve my goals,” he said.

This was interesting, from his Dad...
“We just weren’t sure because he had spoken to Geelong on Sunday and they sounded interested, as were Richmond and Port Adelaide, but it’s so hard to tell because they don’t give too much away.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back