List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
42b1f1120b43c38966e55e3cb10456ee.jpeg

Back in the day Ferbs, back in the day ..... august chickens 003.JPG

Played 5 games in the VFL, averaged 11.8 kicks, 6.8 handballs, 8 marks, 17.4 hitouts, 3 tackles and scored 2.1, 1.0, 1.0, 5.1 and 4.4. Richmond won fewer games than us if you want context for how Richmond was travelling before the season was canned. I think his main beef is even in the VFL he doesn't really get a crack to play the main ruckman so he is never going to develop that skillset without development time and playing the role.

Pick 38 (being generous) or PSD.

Audio:

Probably neither of those two

Curious to what you think we should trade for him?

Let’s bare in mind, that we are year 2 into our rebuild, still need to prioritise bringing in quality kids (not just Pick 1).

I personally think offering much more then Pick 38 and a late pick swap, would be quite negligent. If we want to run a charity, then we should get into a different business, because this rebuild is going to take a lot longer then people hope if we are going to trade away picks like 20.

FWIW the general consensus from people I’ve spoken to in the media is Pick 38 likely to be the core of this deal.

I wouldn't be surprised now if we get overs in compo for Dumont, or a second round priority pick, to keep Richmond happy.
Please, please, please make this happen that the AFL gives us overs for the Dumont compensation on the understanding that we will trade it to Richmond, then we walk CCJ to the PSD anyway. 🤞

David Noble dodging bullets like Keanu Reeves.

Also, clearly the definitions of the words 'enormous' and 'coup' have changed significantly so yeah, CCJ is an 'enormous coup'
Maybe he meant to say enormous utensil-up and got tounge tied.

Let’s bare in mind, that we are year 2 into our rebuild, still need to prioritise bringing in quality kids (not just Pick 1).

I personally think offering much more then Pick 38 and a late pick swap, would be quite negligent. If we want to run a charity, then we should get into a different business, because this rebuild is going to take a lot longer then people hope if we are going to trade away picks like 20.

FWIW the general consensus from people I’ve spoken to in the media is Pick 38 likely to be the core of this deal.

People are happy for us to lose more draft capital than required for some odd reason.

With Edwards and CCJ, Xerri would be pretty nervous about a contract post 2022

We are likely going to lose Goldy and Campbell soon, we will likely play 2 ruck/forwards when Goldy retires, one playing forward, one in the ruck. We tried to pull this off with Goldy/Campbell/Xerri but it doesn't quite work. Goldy and Campbell are also a bit suspect in marking conditions, these are strong suits for CCJ and Edwards.

I think it means it is just not going to be gift wrapped for Xerri, he will have to fight and earn the games he plays, which I think is a good thing. But at the end of the day you need 1 or 2 backups. Ball is really in his court, but I think it is a better scenario that he has stiff competition. You want someone to be the best of a number of good options rather than played because you have nobody else to compete.

I think pick 38 would be a good deal for us. CCJ is the perfect age for our rebuild. I think pick 38 only has a chance of being done because we have the threat of the PSD sitting in our back pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are likely going to lose Goldy and Campbell soon, we will likely play 2 ruck/forwards when Goldy retires, one playing forward, one in the ruck. We tried to pull this off with Goldy/Campbell/Xerri but it doesn't quite work. Goldy and Campbell are also a bit suspect in marking conditions, these are strong suits for CCJ and Edwards.

I think it means it is just not going to be gift wrapped for Xerri, he will have to fight and earn the games he plays, which I think is a good thing. But at the end of the day you need 1 or 2 backups. Ball is really in his court, but I think it is a better scenario that he has stiff competition. You want someone to be the best of a number of good options rather than played because you have nobody else to compete.

I really like the idea of two genuine forwards that can split the ruck work 50/50.

It is about perspective & the reality is that a player that was selected pick 20 four years ago, is not retaining that value after only 9 games.

The precedence has been set in regards to players that are selected high & don't get games...

Dylan Stephens was Pick 5 in 2019 - Will he be traded for Pick 5?
Peter Wright was Pick 8 in 2014 - Traded for Fourth Round Pick
Jackson Hately was Pick 14 in 2018 - Walked to PSD
Jay Caldwell was Pick 11 in 2018 - Traded with Pick 44 & 74 for Pick 29 & Future Second
Aiden Bonar was Pick 11 in 2017 - Traded for Future Third Round Pick

Even Adam Cerra who was Pick 5 in 2017 & is a s***load better then CCJ - He's likely going to be traded for Pick 6.
Draft picks, well the players, are like new cars. As soon as they are out of the showroom the value is most likely to drop.

I think it will probably be a future 2nd or some shuffling of picks in and around the 2nd round.

PSD is highly unlikely and we think enough of him to offer a 4 year deal and Richmond thought enough to table 2 year so I don't think either club sees him around pick 38. My 2 c

I also don't think we will be in year 2 next year, our rebuild started a few years ago and we cleaned out dead wood last year to give some clear air to some of the younger players on the list. We have been fairly effective at the draft going back a few years now, and some of those key players that we invested in the pointy end of the draft are hitting that 50 game mark.

Redeemed by the Stepho/Attu trade.

True, that was a great deal, but Collingwood had a fire sale going. Still, credit where it's due. Hopefully the Brown scenario will never happen again.

That pick 20(first pick of the second rd) is a valuable asset now that it’s back to a 2 night draft. There will be clubs that like someone who in their opinion has slipped and will want to trade up to get them as we’ve seen in the past and can pay overs. The club would be smart enough not to trade it.

I’d imagine we’d start with 38, and probably ends up being 38 plus pick swaps next year imo. I’d expect a trade would get done if he chooses us. Don’t see us to be the ones to push the psd stuff too hard.

I think it will probably be a future 2nd or some shuffling of picks in and around the 2nd round.

PSD is highly unlikely and we think enough of him to offer a 4 year deal and Richmond thought enough to table 2 year so I don't think either club sees him around pick 38. My 2 c

I also don't think we will be in year 2 next year, our rebuild started a few years ago and we cleaned out dead wood last year to give some clear air to some of the younger players on the list. We have been fairly effective at the draft going back a few years now, and some of those key players that we invested in the pointy end of the draft are hitting that 50 game mark.

Agreed that PSD won't happen.

Yeah, I think if he was contracted a 2nd rounder would be around the mark. I think the fact that he's uncontracted does sway the trade in our favor. This is just a reality of the current system. Uncontracted players are always getting less then market value, whilst contracted players are getting equal or more then market value.

Not sure how close you are to the Draft this year but Pick 20 is quality pick this year & it's very valuable. Will allow us to get one of the likes of Wilmot, Wanganeen-Milera, Chesser, Bhazzo or Van Rooyen - All players that could be rated top 12-15 on our talent order. Given the unknown & varying views around this draft, it's highly likely that someone we rate quite high could still be on the board at 20. Which is why I'm keen to close that out immediately & would assume Brady would also.

Earlier I listed a number of players that were in similar scenarios to CCJ which has set a precedent on OOC high picks that have left for more opportunity for quite a bit less then they were originally recruited for. Dylan Stephens will be another example this year, after going Pick 5 in 2019, will likely go a pick in the 20s. It would be unprecedented for CCJ to go for Pick 20 this year, or likely what will be Pick 22-24 next year.

A lot is made about Brady's negotiation abilities - I think we will get a clear view of them with how we approach this trade. Like the Shaun Higgins/Stephenson trades last year, he has all the "power" in regards to negotiation, compared to the Brown trade where he had minimal.

My expectation of a "good negotiation" from our POV considering the circumstances, would be Pick 38 & a 2022 pick swap (Norths 3rd for Richmonds 4th).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back