List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve gotta improve our engine room to challenge next year I reckon. 3 first round picks may assist.
Agree. Defence will be elite, forward line should be up there if Teague can sort the dynamic out. Midfield is the issue. Need to play Dusty in there permanently imo. Having Nank and Soldo back will help. We were relying on Chol a bit this year. Prestia getting a clear run would be handy, but unlikely. Could Cotch come back refreshed? Boak had almost a career year at 32-33. Bolton probably needs to transition more to a permanent midfielder as well. Lambert, Edwards should hold their own without starting. Graham needs to turn into a consistent 25 a week man. Can’t have those 30 games and then 15 the next

Agree. Defence will be elite, forward line should be up there if Teague can sort the dynamic out. Midfield is the issue. Need to play Dusty in there permanently imo. Having Nank and Soldo back will help. We were relying on Chol a bit this year. Prestia getting a clear run would be handy, but unlikely. Could Cotch come back refreshed? Boak had almost a career year at 32-33. Bolton probably needs to transition more to a permanent midfielder as well. Lambert, Edwards should hold their own without starting. Graham needs to turn into a consistent 25 a week man. Can’t have those 30 games and then 15 the next

Hopefully an RCD or a Dow can take the next step too. That Gawn, Petracca and Oliver midfield is bloody good.

Our defence is elite, I worry about our medium forwards and small forwards. Aarts and George not near it. Is Rioli gonna take the next step?

This trade and draft period is very important for us.

Hopefully an RCD or a Dow can take the next step too. That Gawn, Petracca and Oliver midfield is bloody good.

Our defence is elite, I worry about our medium forwards and small forwards. Aarts and George not near it. Is Rioli gonna take the next step?

I'd be surprised if RCD comes good. By now he should have good tank yet he dosent which questions his work ethic. Dow needs more game time for confidence and then i think we will have a good player. not a A+ mid but a good one

We need a ready made midfielder or two. Meatball as good as he is has mediocre durability. Shedda and cotch can hold the line but won’t dominate. Bolton is rising. Dusty is dusty. The kids will be patchy like all kids. Time to go to the well.

RCD need to put the work in IMO. Extra training to go that next step. It’s not gonna be handed to him. These next crop of midfielders otherwise will over take him in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rcd judged very harsh for mine. fu** all vfl has impacted his ability to find a tank IMO
I don’t question his tank, he just doesn’t get the ball enough. RCD will be overtaken by others in no time for he just does not know how to anticipate where to run to. He’s a very ordinary footballer who just can’t get enough possessions. Even in his draft year he never got the number of disposals other onballers got. I could not believe we drafted him. If he hadn’t been our first selection,I think he’d be gone, Delisted.
If he struggles to get a game next season are supporters still going to make excuses for him? I was hoping a team would offer us something for him. Yes I’d take the packet of twisties.

So, after spending the morning reading this thread and analysing all the analysis, the hypothesis and the permutations, I have decided that… I’m going back to bed as I’ve now got a massive headache 😱
covid quick get tested

Definitely need to refresh the mids. Anyone who thinks we can roll with Cotchin,sheds, lambert are in denial. Time to give the younger blokes a real go. Melbourne are what we were in 17. IMO we have alot of work to do and some older boys could really be found wanting next year.

Seems the quality in the draft will drop off after pick 30-35 based on the poor quality of the WA vs SA trial game. Take a few better players out of the team and the rest aren't much chop. Also in the earlier Vic Metro vs Vic Country trial games the same also seem to be the case.

Loading up with 4 or 5 early picks could set us up well for future years. 7 , 15, 17, 20, 26
If we do a deal GC 3, 17, 19, 20, 26 or 3, 15, 17, 20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t question his tank, he just doesn’t get the ball enough. RCD will be overtaken by others in no time for he just does not know how to anticipate where to run to. He’s a very ordinary footballer who just can’t get enough possessions. Even in his draft year he never got the number of disposals other onballers got. I could not believe we drafted him. If he hadn’t been our first selection,I think he’d be gone, Delisted.
If he struggles to get a game next season are supporters still going to make excuses for him? I was hoping a team would offer us something for him. Yes I’d take the packet of twisties.
Yet he racked up the possessions in every game I saw in the VFL this year. He is an attacking weapon who likes the body on body and has breakaway speed not unlike Petracca and Oliver. It took them a lot longer than RCD to get the fitness to do what they are doing. He is probably the best hope we have of being able to do what Melbourne did last night, because he is one of the few at the club who is big and strong enough to do it. He just needs more football and a massive preseason.

Last edited:

The good thing about smalls is they’re easy to pick up and make a role player. Mids is our issue. Hopefully Prestia can stay on the park, keep Dusty in there the majority of the time and Bolton needs to be in 80% time too

Yet he racked up the possessions in every game I saw in the VFL this year. He is an attacking weapon who likes the body on body and has breakaway speed not unlike Petracca and Oliver. It took them a lot longer than RCD to get the fitness to do what they are doing. He is probably the best hope we have of being able to do what Melbourne did last night, because he is one of the few at the club who is strong enough to do it. He just needs more football and a massive preseason.
The thing about Melbourne is Petracca only got going last year at 24. Fans were holding on to him being a star especially considering he went number 2. that gives hope to a lot of clubs that players develop in early to mid 20s is where to start reaping the rewards.

RCD next season really needs to have a bit more of an impact with 2023 year the expectation of him being our main mid if not our second main midfielder. We are lucky to have some top draft picks who will be playing next year in RCD, Dow and Ross so with them all managing a dozen or so games each we’re going to still be pretty decent next year. I say pick 4 players within 30 this year and see if we can top up another first rounder for next. I see us playing finals next year possibly top 4 and with all these kids coming through like the ones mentioned above and picks in this years and next years draft we’re going to rebound quite quickly

The thing about Melbourne is Petracca only got going last year at 24. Fans were holding on to him being a star especially considering he went number 2. that gives hope to a lot of clubs that players develop in early to mid 20s is where to start reaping the rewards.

RCD next season really needs to have a bit more of an impact with 2023 year the expectation of him being our main mid if not our second main midfielder. We are lucky to have some top draft picks who will be playing next year in RCD, Dow and Ross so with them all managing a dozen or so games each we’re going to still be pretty decent next year. I say pick 4 players within 30 this year and see if we can top up another first rounder for next. I see us playing finals next year possibly top 4 and with all these kids coming through like the ones mentioned above and picks in this years and next years draft we’re going to rebound quite quickly
Ross is the other on in particular who needs to be played in the guts. He is strong, quickish over a short distance and and stands up in a tackle. Dow as you say has some great traits but I reckon he will need another year before he can be relied on. Bolton has a big upside as well, and should also be given more responsibility next season because of his ability to win clearances. Martin, Bolton, Prestia, Ross, RCD, maybe Graham with cameos from Cotchin, Edwards and a few others. Also Nank alone is twice the player that either Martin or English will ever be. Soldo also and together would have blunted Gawn.

Definitely need to refresh the mids. Anyone who thinks we can roll with Cotchin,sheds, lambert are in denial. Time to give the younger blokes a real go. Melbourne are what we were in 17. IMO we have alot of work to do and some older boys could really be found wanting next year.
yep.we'll get obliterated if the club expects Cotchin,Lambert,Pickett,Graham,Prestia & Edwards carry the mid load
we need to draft 2 quality mids that can play from Rd.1 and for 2 current young ones to step up & in
Cotchin,Edwards and Lambert have done theyre job,theyre not impacting next year.

yep.we'll get obliterated if the club expects Cotchin,Lambert,Pickett,Graham,Prestia & Edwards carry the mid load
we need to draft 2 quality mids that can play from Rd.1 and for 2 current young ones to step up & in
Cotchin,Edwards and Lambert have done theyre job,theyre not impacting next year.
Then we're screwed. First year draftees definitely aren't impacting, let alone carrying the load. Highlights why we're all so keen to try to get a Tom Green. We have some ok young kids, but missing that "one" to build a premiership winning midfield around.

The club would know that the ideal premiership winning list has that key core of best players in their mid to late 20's, so I feel like next year is our Geelong style "one last crack" with an aging list. After that, full rebuild time, aiming to get the next group to 24+ years of age and 100+ games.

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

A tad optimistic to expect 2 new draft picks to go rd.1 and compete against what we saw last night. We have the cattle already, draft picks are part of the succession plan I would have thought, not ready to go next year. Melbourne had 7 players 21 and under last night, so it doesn't have to take long before the young players are able to play bit roles, but not centre square mids necessarily.

Can't replicate on field stuff at Training?

I think there is a difference between fitness and match fitness. Being able to cover the ground, get hit, get to the next contest. That is hard to build outside of game time and is different at AFL level to VFL level (which was massively interrupted anywy). Having said all of that....big big off and pre-season for him. It will be time for him to make the next step into a midfielder who can contribute well through larger parts of the game in 2022.

I think there is a difference between fitness and match fitness. Being able to cover the ground, get hit, get to the next contest. That is hard to build outside of game time and is different at AFL level to VFL level (which was massively interrupted anywy). Having said all of that....big big off and pre-season for him. It will be time for him to make the next step into a midfielder who can contribute well through larger parts of the game in 2022.
Well.A big pre-season means you can improve outside of game sim.So the question will always remain with him.If he hasn't improved his tank in 3 pre-seasons then the 4th isn't going to be somekind of turning point.

Our midfield cannot compete with that freight train we saw last night.

Anyone who think it's does, is absolutely delusional.

Firstly, we need an established contested ball winner.
Our prime was 4yrs ago.
We can do it but everything has to go right with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back