List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

I like what we have been able to achieve so far this offseason. It seems the front of house is in order and our playing list is taking shape.

Where to from here?

Our list sits at 34-7-1, so we must make at least 2 delistings for the minimum draft pick requirements.

Out of Contract players:

O'Brien (senior) - rumoured to have re-signed, no brainer to get a one year deal for mine.

Owies (cat b rookie) - no brainer additional year on cat b rookie list. Bonus list player.

Boyd (cat a rookie) - liked what I saw in his limited VFL appearances. Has good pace and foot skills, can be what we need as that lockdown small defender. Mature at 23, and I think he has what it takes to be a surprise packet. List need - 1 year rookie deal.

McDonald (cat a rookie) - Austin seemed to suggest McDonald is part of our 2022 plans in his trade radio interview. Provides good KPP & break glass ruck depth when not injured - 1 year rookie deal.

Parks (cat a rookie) - had a decent first season, he is tenacious, hits hard, largely durable and seems very coachable. With Plowman, Kemp and the likely addition of Akuei as a cat b rookie (bonus) - there appears to be only 1 spot left for a medium defender on the list. One of Parks or Marchbank will need to go (regardless of if we land Akuei or not), the other will get a rookie list spot (i.e. Marchbank demotion). Marchbank contracted for 2022, however won't have played in almost 3 years. My call, Voss values durability and dependability, as noted in his first press conference - Marchbank paid out & delisted - Parks 1 year rookie deal.

Cottrell (cat a rookie) - endurance freak, has pace, is hard at it but is a terrible kick, makes poor decisions, lacks polish and footy IQ for the wing position. Part of me thinks he can make a great lockdown back pocket, but I think he will be exposed for defensive positioning and his kicking will be a bigger liabilty down there. If we're moving past players like Gibbo and Ramsay, Cottrell also has to go. Delist.

List now sits at 33-6-1.

Pick Trade with Brisbane

Carl - Pick #18, Pick #54, Bris fut 3rd
Bris - Pick #25, Pick #64, Carl fut 2nd

Rationale
Carlton move up the order to get the last Round 1 pick (Bris 2nd pick overall). Moving up 7 spots may be insignificant, but it secures a 1st rounder to satisfy the AFL rolling 4th rounder.
This means we are now able to trade one of our 2022 or 2023 firsts in the next two trade periods, once our 2 2019 selections fall out of the 4 year rolling period.
Brisbane are happy to slip back a few spots in order to secure a roughly 20 pick upgrade in 2022 when they have 2 quality academy players coming through.
Blues nab a minor late 10 pick upgrade.

List needs
- Key fwd/ruck (Casboult replacement)
- Developing key defender (2021 hole)
- Small forward (Betts/Murph/Gibbo replacement)
- Small defender (Docherty LTI)

Drafts

Pick #18 (#20) - Rhett Bazzo (or other kpd)
Pick #54 (#46) - small fwd or ruck/kpf
Rookie Promotion - Matt Kennedy

Rookie Pick #6 - Josh Cripps (ruck/kpf) or small fwd
Cat B Rookie - Dominic Akuei - NGA (med def/kpp utility)

Inactive List - Sam Docherty
SSP replacement - (lockdown small defender)

2022 Draft Picks
Carl 1st, Bris 3rd, Carl 4th & 5th

2022 List Breakdown
36 Senior
6(1) Cat A Rookie*
2 Cat B Rookie^
= 44(1) players

Next years draft hand is now flexible enough to target one more key acquisition - salary cap permitting.
Our ruck stocks are thin in AFL quality, I think Pitto is a long term back up, but he and TDK have both had injury issues.

Rowan Marshall is out of contract in 2022 at the Saints. He will be 26 end of next year and may be gettable if we perform and the Saints flounder.
Carl 2022 1st & 2023 2nd can form the base of a trade offering. We can now offer our 1st due to our earlier deal with Brisbane.

We should be in his ear right now.
I wasn't too far off.

4 rookie re-signings (Boyd, Parks, McDonald & Owies) as I would've done.

They have honoured Marchbank's contract unlike I did. This means a KPD like Bazzo as I suggested likely won't be taken now.

O'Brien delisted from the senior list to open up that 3rd and final spot and retained as a rookie.

And interestingly Cottrell delisted and to be redrafted as a rookie. Now this is interesting because we have an as-of-right allowance to re-sign Cottrell as a rookie, but opted to delist him first to do so.

The list sits at 33-6-1
(not including O'Brien and Cottrell who at the moment only have a verbal agreement in lieu of a contract).

3 senior list spots, full cat a rookie list, 1 cat b rookie list spot.

Pick 25 - *draftee
Pick 64 - *draftee

1 cat a rookie list spot now vacant in addition to 1 cat b rookie list spot.

Rookie Pick 6 - Lochie O'Brien (re-rookie)
Cat B signing - Dominic Akuei (next-gen academy)

List Lodgement #2 filed end of November. Cottrell continues to train with us.

Hmm full list and no Cottrell? This is why we didn't sign him straight away as we could have.

December 1, Carlton move Sam Docherty to inactive list - he then wont be able to play in 2022, get well soon champ.
1 additional cat a rookie list spot opens up.

Supplemental selection period - Matt Cottrell (re-rookie).

2022 List Breakdown
36 Senior
6(1) Cat A Rookie*
2 Cat B Rookie^
= 44(1) players

Why is that so bad?
We’ve hit the draft hard in the last 5-6 years so our list is young not to mention this years draft we will be the biggest guessing game in AFL draft history with so many players barely sighted over 2 years.
If they are unable to find an 18 year old in WA or SA (states who have played basically full seasons) who doesn't have more ability than Matt Cottrell, I'm sorry but they don't deserve to be employed

I think it's more likely that they re-rookie Cottrell in the Sup period after putting Doc on the Inactive List.

Our second pick (#64) will come in quite a bit. I'd be surprised if we only add a single kid out of the entire 2021 draft pool.
Yeah taking Cotts later as a SSP after moving Doc to the LTI is the most probable get around that I can see, but to be honest I’d see who else is available once the time comes as Cottrell is a limited player.

Wow so many 1 year deals handed out this year...lots of players will need to be on their toes to impress the new coaches.

I like it.
So do I…hopefully the likes of Dow, Setterfield and Williamson - all of whom are out of contract at the end of 2022 and have been disappointing on the whole - are taking notice of what is happening…

Suggest we wait and see what transpires. I'm pretty confident we won't be breaking the rules here.

My guess is we've received confirmation that we're able to move someone onto an inactive list. Most likely Docherty.
Would make sense - similar to the deal Dons did for Ramanaskas in a similar situation. Don't see how else it happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they are unable to find an 18 year old in WA or SA (states who have played basically full seasons) who doesn't have more ability than Matt Cottrell, I'm sorry but they don't deserve to be employed

Pretty easy to be scathing and unfairly critical when you have no idea about the 100s hours of work and spending weekends watching kids in various stage leagues, and we all know that the draft pool has been diluted even more in the last few couple of years due to the covid pandemic.

No one knows more than themselves how much pressure there is on recruiting managers, you should ease up on them mate, I have been remember Blues fans grizzling about our recruiting staff and recruiters ever since Shane O'Sullivan was our chief recruiter.

No one is perfect at this recruitment and drafting game.

I wasn't too far off.

4 rookie re-signings (Boyd, Parks, McDonald & Owies) as I would've done.

They have honoured Marchbank's contract unlike I did. This means a KPD like Bazzo as I suggested likely won't be taken now.

O'Brien delisted from the senior list to open up that 3rd and final spot and retained as a rookie.

And interestingly Cottrell delisted and to be redrafted as a rookie. Now this is interesting because we have an as-of-right allowance to re-sign Cottrell as a rookie, but opted to delist him first to do so.

The list sits at 33-6-1
(not including O'Brien and Cottrell who at the moment only have a verbal agreement in lieu of a contract).

3 senior list spots, full cat a rookie list, 1 cat b rookie list spot.

Pick 25 - *draftee
Pick 64 - *draftee

1 cat a rookie list spot now vacant in addition to 1 cat b rookie list spot.

Rookie Pick 6 - Lochie O'Brien (re-rookie)
Cat B signing - Dominic Akuei (next-gen academy)

List Lodgement #2 filed end of November. Cottrell continues to train with us.

Hmm full list and no Cottrell? This is why we didn't sign him straight away as we could have.

December 1, Carlton move Sam Docherty to inactive list - he then wont be able to play in 2022, get well soon champ.
1 additional cat a rookie list spot opens up.

Supplemental selection period - Matt Cottrell (re-rookie).

2022 List Breakdown
36 Senior
6(1) Cat A Rookie*
2 Cat B Rookie^
= 44(1) players

I don't mind this at all. I hope nobody snaps up LOB before we rookie him but other than that, I'm fine with 2 picks in the draft and Kennedy has earned his return to the senior list. Really hoping that Charlie McKay is our second draft selection, and we will definitely get a slider with #25. I'm happy with what we did last year in getting Carroll and Durdin. Both look likely.

I'm hoping we get the chance to get Akuei and nobody else takes him in the national draft. It's about time we got in on this NGA action.

Pretty easy to be scathing and unfairly critical when you have no idea about the 100s hours of work and spending weekends watching kids in various stage leagues, and we all know that the draft pool has been diluted even more in the last few couple of years due to the covid pandemic.

No one knows more than themselves how much pressure there is on recruiting managers, you should ease up on them mate, I have been remember Blues fans grizzling about our recruiting staff and recruiters ever since Shane O'Sullivan was our chief recruiter.

Recruiting youth and embracing the draft has never been our strong suit.

I reckon Voss might want to see how much he can work with Cottrell. He is quick and he is hard at it and Voss would love those attributes. Maybe he is hoping to teach him positional play a little better. At any rate, you won't see Cottrell in the senior side unless he shows plenty of nous in the twos. A new coach can have his freebie based on a feeling, especially if the other option is a state league player taken at #80 in the draft.

Do you really want to get angry about a late draft pick?

Just pretend we went to the draft and picked up Cerra, Bazzo/Goater, Charlie McKay and Cottrell. Is Cottrell the one you would focus on in that case?

Maybe ask what I do for work before you post this

Maybe ask what I do for work before you post this

If you're implying you're a talent scout, it's pretty unprofessional to get so upset about a team's list management strategies and denigrate a player in the process.

Here goes anyway. What do you do for work and how does it negate what was posted?

List management is fine - youngsters with abit of upside to be potential AFL depth players in the Carlton system are not auto delisted but give them a chance through a rookie spot. We have lost quite a few potential depth players like Holman and Gowers in the past. Happy we didn't delist Kennedy and gave him a chance through rookie system. Hoping LOB grabs this opportunity too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back