No Oppo Supporters General AFL and other clubs discussion thread. **Opposition fans not welcome** Part 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, how much support can be given at the moment? All the mental health awareness in the world isn't going to save struggling people, particularly those in their early 20s that have lost essentially 2 years to illness, lockdowns, shutdowns and distancing.

Personal story time, but 5 days a week since I turned 17 I'd head off to a mates place and we'd gym together - see other people there, catch up, keep healthy, hit PRs and all that good stuff. I've lived 1hr + away at times and I still made the time to keep to that routine. During the COVID lockdowns, it was the first extended period of time where I wasn't able to follow that routine. Fine for a week or two, but I live alone and had almost no face to face contact with anyone - it got to the point where I'd literally break down into tears some days, because I had no outlet, I didn't have that routine that meant so much to me. I put on weight, I lost all meaningful routine - I understand other people have it worse because yes, I was still working and I wasn't sick, but it's hard to put into words the type of miserable I felt at times.

I'm not naturally that type of person, so the way that I felt and some of the darker thoughts I had during that time put a lot in perspective for me.

Respectfully, sharing this with strangers online, while it can make you feel better, is borderline irrelevant compared to reaching out to your family or friends..!

I don't purport to have solutions with most peoples related issues, nor do I claim or am suitably qualified to understand them - however, if I was one your mates and 'I knew of your struggles', I would of been like;
"Rightio, let's sort this out, we need to recreate your routine, build a home gym with cheap equipment or use anything, then set-up and schedule Zoom meetings with your gym mates to resume your daily workouts, how about also creating some new related gym circuit goals for our virtual remote environments" etc. etc...

From what I've seen with a few mates who have had past similar issues, silence is the killer, while sometimes ignoring your pride/ego is difficult, you simply can not get support or advice being on mute..!

Last edited:
Respectfully, sharing this with strangers online, while it can make you feel better, is borderline irrelevant compared to reaching out to your family or friends..!

I don't purport to have solutions with most peoples related issues, nor do I claim or am suitably qualified to understand them - however, if I was one your mates and 'I knew of your struggles', I would of been like;
"Rightio, let's sort this out, we need to recreate your routine, build a home gym with cheap equipment or use anything, then set-up and schedule Zoom meetings with your gym mates to resume your daily workouts, how about also creating some new related gym circuit goals for our virtual remote environments" etc. etc...

From what I've seen with a few mates who have had past similar issues, silence is the killer, while sometimes ignoring your pride/ego is difficult, you simply can not get support or advice being on mute..!

I was sharing my past experience, one I worked through. I'm not reaching out for help here. It was to provide context around the mental health discussion of blokes in their 20s.

View attachment 1309335

Wanting to see young men grow is what got Hird into so much trouble the last time. Red flags all over this one, Giants.
Re-uniting with his mate “we-only-took-vitamins- McViegh”.

He was shown to be completely full of s**t, so I guess they’re soulmates.

It’s bewildering that the AFL allows Hird back in an official, payed role within the AFL again

wonder if they will give Ben Cousins the same opportunity

It’s bewildering that the AFL allows Hird back in an official, payed role within the AFL again
Lance Armstrong to manage the US Postal team in 2022?

wonder if they will give Ben Cousins the same opportunity
Cousins is coming from a looooonnngggg way back. I'm sure AFL would give him another chance but not sure a club would.

Sounds like he's doing a lot better these last few months, which is awesome.

Lance Armstrong to manage the US Postal team in 2022?

Cousins is coming from a looooonnngggg way back. I'm sure AFL would give him another chance but not sure a club would.

Sounds like he's doing a lot better these last few months, which is awesome.

West Coast tried back in 2018 and he disappeared again, but seems like he'd be in a better position to do it now than he was at that time.

West Coast tried back in 2018 and he disappeared again, but seems like he'd be in a better position to do it now than he was at that time.

Unfortunate quote from Willie Rioli of all people.

What's the go with Jed Anderson ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He given his reason ? Still contracted yeah ?

no he hasn’t - it’s pure speculation

1. he had a severe reaction to first vac and doesn’t want to have the second

2. Due to his severe pneumonia in 2014?? he is compromised and doesn’t want to return to Melbourne where he is at greater risk

3. Combo 1 and 2

no he hasn’t - it’s pure speculation

1. he had a severe reaction to first vac and doesn’t want to have the second

2. Due to his severe pneumonia in 2014?? he is compromised and doesn’t want to return to Melbourne where he is at greater risk

3. Combo 1 and 2
Hmmm. I remember 2.

Shame. Had plenty of upside. Maybe more than O’Rourke or C3PO anyway

It’s why I’m not a real fan of RU Okay day - While it raises awareness of depression, anxiety etc. for many organisations there is no training provided should you actually get a “actually I’m not”

Lots of places provide First Aid training and it’s an ongoing competency, but how many provide Mental Health First Aid Training
We do have the Mental First Aid training available if people wish to take the option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back