Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt we’ve structured the last year of his contract to be $800k when we’ve had cap space

My bad, he only has 450,000 reasons.

The shitiest news

Is it though? I don't want to pollute this thread with negativity, we all love Sloane but the end was not so much near as it was yesteryear. It was only going to get uglier and the club was under pressure to play him given his captaincy and pay packet. This avoids all that and gives opportunity to a youngster.

Over the last couple of years we’ve had a very young list, I would hope we’ve structured contracts by bringing forward $$ and creating more cap space to target recruits which we’ve said will form part of our rebuild strategy

Front loaded contracts benefit the player
Back ended contracts benefit the club

I’d not assume that it’s all front ended.

Front ended deals are very team unfriendly and when he signed his contract (disaster that it was) we were looking to create cap room upfront because we had a senior, contending list.

We were hard up against the cap - I reckon it’s more likely to have more left than you think

Front ended deals are very team unfriendly and when he signed his contract (disaster that it was) we were looking to create cap room upfront because we had a senior, contending list.

We were hard up against the cap - I reckon it’s more likely to have more left than you think

i've little doubt you're right but I don't think the club would have factored in the huge reduction in experienced and more costly players. End of 2020 we had $ for Keath, sauce & Thor and 2021 was Tex's last backended year. Plus Betts, Gibbs and JJ off the books. Only Hately and Dawson coming in on decent $. We should have had heaps this year to frontload contracts or prepay lots of Sloane's final year.

i've little doubt you're right but I don't think the club would have factored in the huge reduction in experienced and more costly players. End of 2020 we had $ for Keath, sauce & Thor and 2021 was Tex's last backended year. Plus Betts, Gibbs and JJ off the books. Only Hately and Dawson coming in on decent $. We should have had heaps this year to frontload contracts or prepay lots of Sloane's final year.
One contract I would like to move is Milera. If he shows some form this year I think Gold Coast may be interested in taking it on. They did trade in Atkins.

So disappointed for Rory. One of my absolute favourites and a supreme warrior. Never gave anything less than his best. Legend.

Having said that I hope he retires now. He has nothing to prove and nothing to gain by playing again. The club will not benefit by his return.

I really hope we let it settle, then discuss future options, where he retires this year, but is employed by the club in an SANFL role for a year or 2 to cover the loss of income (or just pay out the contract early).

Sadly, we know he will want to play on. He's just a competitive beast who loves the contest. He needs to be directed away though. Hopefully his wife can talk some sense in to him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the last couple of years we’ve had a very young list, I would hope we’ve structured contracts by bringing forward $$ and creating more cap space to target recruits which we’ve said will form part of our rebuild strategy
It's why we have extended more of our younger players earlier than usual.

Feel the backend contracts give more incentive for the player to hang around too. Often wondered if players that request a trade while still under contract have had a front loaded deal so there's added incentive to move while contracted.

Really feel for him and hope it's a speedy recovery, all the best Sloaney.

Whilst sad I think it might actually help the club fast track our next crop of midfielders even further.

Sloane going down has a little bit of a silver lining of having a younger player take his spot.
I always thought Sloane would be similar to Mundy, who doesn't rely on speed or power for his game so plays a lot longer.
He will play on next year, will be 33 when he comes back and perhaps a year off will do his body some good.

Sloane going down has a little bit of a silver lining of having a younger player take his spot.
I always thought Sloane would be similar to Mundy, who doesn't rely on speed or power for his game so plays a lot longer.
He will play on next year, will be 33 when he comes back and perhaps a year off will do his body some good.

Sloane is a fair way off Mundy though. But hopefully the year off does the rest of his body a world of good and the knee returns like Lenny hayes’ did. But at half forward.

Listening to 5AA, Sloane's playing on unless he gets a heavy tap on the shoulder.

He's such a weirdly positive bloke, when coming off the ground thinking "this would be good for me".

He then rattles on players who have come back. Does he have any self awareness of his form and that he was moved out of the midfield in his last game?

Listening to 5AA, Sloane's playing on unless he gets a heavy tap on the shoulder.

He's such a weirdly positive bloke, when coming off the ground thinking "this would be good for me".

He then rattles on players who have come back. Does he have any self awareness of his form and that he was moved out of the midfield in his last game?
I thought this was his final year of contract?

Back