Preview Round 9, 2022: Hawks v Tigers, 1.45pm Sat 14th May, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you know about footy mate?
Especially compared to a 17yr old know it all?
Baby Boomers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It is actually , Lynch has 2MP covered pretty comfortable.

2MP has played a few pretty good games, Lynch has been doing it for years.
Lynch is a physical presence and threat , Wright isnt .

Stats arent everything
Talking about form and 2022. Lynch is a gun and has been for ages, 2MP has broken out.

AFL site saying Wingard Lewis and Nash to play. MacDonald to get a rest, CJ to miss.
Mitchell said at last weeks midweek press conference that Jiath was unlikely for this week

What good is winning the possession if you're going to waste the inside 50 and put the ball straight back in the hands of the opposition? In the last 3 games he's kicked 3.8 (26) to Kosi's 9.0 (54).

No doubt Gunston is a smart player, and I acknowledge he's still contributing in other ways. But his goal kicking is a liability at the moment. Unless he can sort that out fast then I think he's better serving the team either playing on the wing or down back where his ability to win one on one can be used to set up scoring shots for forwards who based on the last month of footy are far more likely to actually convert them into goals.

I'm not expecting Sam will make that move, at least not this week (though I think he'd go well on Riewoldt and free Sicily up), but in a discussion about who should be sent to play back out of Gunston and Kosi it doesn't make any sense to send the guy who hasn't missed a shot vs the guy who's barely kicking a quarter of his in the same time frame.
What good is not winning possession and having the ball slingshot into your defensive 50 with no midfield pressure. Unfortunately Gunston is having the yips but I'll back him to turn it around.

Sending Gunston back is short sighted and won't help us long term. We need to develop and have a settled back 6-7. I see that as Sicily, DGB, Frost and Scrim as the talls supported by Hardwick, Day / Bramble & Jiath as the medium / smalls. I don't see Gunston there.

I think we will get the most out of Gunston's twilight years up forward where he can lead and coach our young forwards who are less experienced than our backs.

Hope we get some retribution for Will Day last season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that simple Tyler.

2MP has been a gun and half this year. Lynch been awesome too, both been inform key forwards looking to dominate.

Lynch is averaging 3.4 goals a game with 5.9 marks 3 contested marks a game and 7 score involvements. 1st in the Coleman with 27.

2MP averaging 3 goals a game with 5.9 marks 2 contested marks game a game and 6.5 score involvements. 5th in the Coleman with 23.

It's not "easy".

For reference, Lewis before injury was 2nd in the Coleman.

He was averaging 3 goals a game with 7 marks 2.2 contested marks a game and 6.6 score involvements.

Lynch is a gun, 2MP been great and we had our own.

And yes i added Lewis just to talk Hawthorn.
2mp was averaging 2.4 goals per game before he played on frost…that is one goal per game less than lynch in games not against hawthorn.

2mp was averaging 2.4 goals per game before he played on frost…that is one goal per game less than lynch in games not against hawthorn.
Again, Frost isn't a bad defender, before the Brown game he was intercepting and his defensive loss % was 20 something which is very good. At one stage it was even lower and in the teens. It's since blown out to 30 odd.

2MP is very good, Lynch is a gun also, the point is it's not clear cut.

Bruh you're talking like he meant to do it. Lloyd did, Caddy didn't. It was unfortunate but.

Nvm just kill them anyway.
Titch3Votes0MooreAA

Has gone eerily quiet since you logged back in dommy!

How many burner accounts are you running here mate?

GIF by MIRAMAX

Again, Frost isn't a bad defender, before the Brown game he was intercepting and his defensive loss % was 20 something which is very good. At one stage it was even lower and in the teens. It's since blown out to 30 odd.

2MP is very good, Lynch is a gun also, the point is it's not clear cut.
Frost goes well against quicker forwards. Always gets himself in trouble against the stronger players though. He’s able to react quickly when the ball coming in is poor and beat his opponent.

Where he struggles is when his opponent just has to hold his ground. He isn’t able to shift forwards off the line and he gets himself into positions where he is going to get out marked or give away a free.

Frost goes well against quicker forwards. Always gets himself in trouble against the stronger players though. He’s able to react quickly when the ball coming in is poor and beat his opponent.

Where he struggles is when his opponent just has to hold his ground. He isn’t able to shift forwards off the line and he gets himself into positions where he is going to get out marked or give away a free.
He played well on Hawkins/Cameron in tandem with Sicily and DGB i felt, so i think it's just consistently doing it, sometimes he can just have 1 bad 1on1 and it sets him on a string of bad.

He played well on Hawkins/Cameron in tandem with Sicily and DGB i felt, so i think it's just consistently doing it, sometimes he can just have 1 bad 1on1 and it sets him on a string of bad.
They still kicked 6 between them, and we were lucky they didn’t kick more. He definitely has runs of bad form, but it typically happens against the taller, bigger types with strong marking.

Give him someone his own size and he pretty much never loses. Especially if they are a weak contested mark.

They still kicked 6 between them, and we were lucky they didn’t kick more. He definitely has runs of bad form, but it typically happens against the taller, bigger types with strong marking.

Give him someone his own size and he pretty much never loses. Especially if they are a weak contested mark.
6 between them but not many were on him and him and Sicily in particular did a superb job. DGB got exposed abit but that's as a learning curve.

But yeah i see the trend, but atm he's the best we have and we cannot resort to Hartigan.

What good is not winning possession and having the ball slingshot into your defensive 50 with no midfield pressure. Unfortunately Gunston is having the yips but I'll back him to turn it around.

Sending Gunston back is short sighted and won't help us long term. We need to develop and have a settled back 6-7. I see that as Sicily, DGB, Frost and Scrim as the talls supported by Hardwick, Day / Bramble & Jiath as the medium / smalls. I don't see Gunston there.

I think we will get the most out of Gunston's twilight years up forward where he can lead and coach our young forwards who are less experienced than our backs.
If Gunston isn't there then it's not like we lose all those scoring shots. That's the same flawed logic that had people thinking our forward line would become weak when we lost Buddy. Instead those opportunities were dispersed amongst those who remained and came in to take his spot.

Long term we won't have Gunston at all, so I see absolutely no harm in giving the forward line a week or two without him when his form drops to the point where his goal kicking is hurting the team. If it's not back then it can be on the wing.

It could even be a week or two at Box Hill. People are happy to see Shiels there so Ward and Macdonald can get a run in the seniors. Why not the same for Kosi and Callow? Could Gunston not help Jeka and Serong out at Box Hill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back