Anthony Albanese - How long?

How long for Albo?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they can force a by election in Fowler and parachute Penny Wong in as a captain’s pick?

She's a South Australian. If the people from Fowler resented someone from the Northern Beaches, don't you think they will be a tad miffed if someone is living thousands of miles away?

Why are you so mad?

I simply said that I want to see Penny knife Albo quicker than Julia knifed Kevin.

If it turns out that Penny isn't allowed to knife Albo, then fair enough, I will change my mind.

Now I want to see Tanya take care of Albo, the sooner the better :thumbsu:

profile_image.jpg
“Next to impossible to unseat a sitting PM from within their party now”

Hopefully you’ll eventually understand how our politics works. An informed electorate is much less likely to make stupid voting choices.

Last edited:

You don't see something wrong with ineligible candidates contesting elections?

If they are dedicated to being a member, they should get their affairs in order before they nominate.

Remember people have been punted for not resigning from public service gigs when they nominated.

There is a reason it's at nomination
not quite.

declarations are made as part of the process of nominating for parliamentbut the veracity, and therefore compliance with S44, of the claims are not tested Upon election. Indeed the only time they are tested is at the insistence of direct opponents with determination and remedy sought at the direction of the high court - absurd and frankly contrary to the intent of the constitution.

I‘m suggesting preventing parties from taking their seats until it is confirmed that they are compliant.

A minor legislative amendment to the Cmwlth Electoral Act could solve your issue with capacity and authority to determine and enforce compliance granted to a suitable body. Although there are issues in S44‘s use of the nomenclature “shall not be chosen or sit” it could be overcome by reliance on the phrase “until the parliament provides otherwise” in S34. You could also specifically seek to define the term “chosen” to mean declared by the AEC as elected and further determine that the AECmay not declare a party chosen/elected until the relevant body has determined that they have complied with S44 and renounced all privileges and rights Etc.

but yeah, no s**t.

My post quoted for clarity and context.

You don't see anything wrong with an ineligible person not only standing for parliament, but being elected sworn in and being part of the parliamentary apparatus? Particularly as the current process relies upon scrutiny by political opponents but the only remedy is through a HC hearing.

My model sees scrutiny being applied at the point of election/declaration of results. The onus is still on the candidate to have their affairs in order or risk being ruled ineligible.

There is no substantial disruption, and certainly no need for a by-election etc. If the legislative amendments are drafted appropriately there would not even be recourse to the disputed returns route.

As for your point about holding office or obtaining benefit, it is too loose and requires definition also.

My post quoted for clarity and context.

You don't see anything wrong with an ineligible person not only standing for parliament, but being elected sworn in and being part of the parliamentary apparatus? Particularly as the current process relies upon scrutiny by political opponents but the only remedy is through a HC hearing.

My model sees scrutiny being applied at the point of election/declaration of results. The onus is still on the candidate to have their affairs in order or risk being ruled ineligible.

There is no substantial disruption, and certainly no need for a by-election etc. If the legislative amendments are drafted appropriately there would not even be recourse to the disputed returns route.

As for your point about holding office or obtaining benefit, it is too loose and requires definition also.

its not "too loose", if anything its onerous

there was a vic teacher on indefinite leave - we was ineligible. Why? Because he was still technically in the employ of the state. (edit - and for the record he was a candidate I really liked)

Its not hard, resign and run. Same with this, check your status's and sort them out.

is it too much to expect our politicians to do a basic compliance check?

and for the record, this isnt a lib/alp thing for me. I am assuming this candidate will be in the clear, because the idealist in me still wants to believe they did the checks they said they did. The rule frustrates me however because over a dozen have failed, and they still fail. and every time the answer is the same "oh, I didnt know, soz". Im sick of suck weak arse attitudes to something that is easy to check.

and on a side issue, it does look like she made an incorrect claim on her form about never being a foreign national. my understanding is that the doc isnt like a stat dec, so there is no penalty for doing that. that said, making an incorrect statement is likely to cause the claims to get reviewed (and see above, I dont think it will be an issue)

She's a South Australian. If the people from Fowler resented someone from the Northern Beaches, don't you think they will be a tad miffed if someone is living thousands of miles away?
That’s about as removed from Fowler as Harbourside Sydney isn’t it?

I was being a smart arse. The “captain’s pick” was designed to give it away.

That’s about as removed from Fowler as Harbourside Sydney isn’t it?

I was being a smart arse. The “captain’s pick” was designed to give it away.

70km is a tad close than over 1000km

it’s not my standard. It’s Albo’s. He referred to it numerous times in victory and during the campaign. Now one of his most senior cabinet ministers has shown it was complete bullshit. They have no intention of cleaning up parliament. The personal attack is still alive just as much as it was under morrison.

Let's see... Albanese made a commitment during the campaign. One of his ministers went outside the boundaries in a minor way, was immediately rebuked and immediately apologised. He didn't defend her. He didn't deflect the question. He didn't attack the right for daring to ask questions. He didn't criticise journalist and whinge. He categorically acknowledged it was wrong. No weasel words.

How is that anything other than a demonstration that he is honouring his commitments?

its not "too loose", if anything its onerous

there was a vic teacher on indefinite leave - we was ineligible. Why? Because he was still technically in the employ of the state. (edit - and for the record he was a candidate I really liked)

Its not hard, resign and run. Same with this, check your status's and sort them out.

is it too much to expect our politicians to do a basic compliance check?

and for the record, this isnt a lib/alp thing for me. I am assuming this candidate will be in the clear, because the idealist in me still wants to believe they did the checks they said they did. The rule frustrates me however because over a dozen have failed, and they still fail. and every time the answer is the same "oh, I didnt know, soz". Im sick of suck weak arse attitudes to something that is easy to check.

and on a side issue, it does look like she made an incorrect claim on her form about never being a foreign national. my understanding is that the doc isnt like a stat dec, so there is no penalty for doing that. that said, making an incorrect statement is likely to cause the claims to get reviewed (and see above, I dont think it will be an issue)

For the record, we are on the same side in this... the onus should be on the candidate. The constitution is not self-enforcing which, to me at least, is the issue.

It can be resolved so that ineligible parties cannot take their seat in parliament rather than the matter being resolved in the HC after the candidate has/is serving as a member. For whatever reason, the will is not there and it led to perhaps the silliest constitutional crisis imaginable.

As for the teacher ruled ineligible for presumably working in a public school, they should have to resign and probably prior to the issuance of writs. But I think they should have rights to be re-employed on the same te4rms if unsuccessful in seeking election. Such an approach reduces the pool of potential parliamentarians as there is a substantial disincentive. Alternatively, you could seek to define office/public servant better.

Anyway, this is an argument or discussion firmly placed within the academic and esoteric.

Happy to agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you understand that a member of the Senate cannot be Prime Minister?

Now, do you know that Penny Wong is the Senate leader of the ALP?

FYI.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

Just to be pedantic, they technically can.

The role of the PM is not even acknowledged in the Constitution. It's only by convention that they must sit in the House -- albeit, conventions in Australia are fairly strictly adhered to.

In any event... I think it's pretty clear that Penny Wong doesn't want to be leader. If she wanted a seat in the House and an opportunity to be leader, she would have contested a seat years ago. Politicians that typically pursue the foreign ministry have their long-term career sights set elsewhere.

Let's see... Albanese made a commitment during the campaign. One of his ministers went outside the boundaries in a minor way, was immediately rebuked and immediately apologised. He didn't defend her. He didn't deflect the question. He didn't attack the right for daring to ask questions. He didn't criticise journalist and whinge. He categorically acknowledged it was wrong. No weasel words.

How is that anything other than a demonstration that he is honouring his commitments?
Yeh honestly if anything the response from Plibersek and Albo shows they are honoring that comittment.

He never comitted to he and his party never making a mistake, he said they would own those mistakes and try to rectify them.

FWIW i though the comment from Plibersek was pretty poor and only really gives the Libs ammo to claim that Labor is no different. I also must say (through gritted teeth) that Duttons response was pretty good too.

Last edited:
I wonder who will peel the Potato moving forward?

Probably no one, as theirs no one left!!!!
I literally cannot see anyone worthy of stepping up. There's probably a few religious nutters in Hastie or Hawke that want to get to the top but the dearth of talent in that party is extraordinary.

Power prices on the up, what's Albo going to do to combat this ? We need action not inaction!
Did you ask this question when the Morrison government was told about the coming price hikes several weeks ago?

Of course not, because they suppressed the information so the public wouldn’t know till after the election they were hoping to win.

You’re really not any good at this.

another assault complaint in parliament house

In addition to the ICAC, a proper review of all the s**t going on in this place needs to occur. If this was a private sector offices, the joint would have been shut down long ago

the era of rape, assault, prayer room gang bangs, and wanking on desks has to end now - regardless of what party you are in, this s**t should have zero tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back