List Mgmt. 2022 List Management and trading thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically if at the End of the Season the AFL said we are stripping North and Stkilda of their licences and all the players from those two clubs went into a mini draft

Pick 1 West Coast - Max King
Pick 2 Essendon - JHF
Pick 3 GWS - Marshall
Pick 4 Hawthorn - Steele

Who would we then Pick?
Pick 5 Adelaide

Could do worse than Nick Larkey

To be fair to Mutineer he gives the new recruits time to find their feet instead of bagging them after 1 missed handball.

Akshally, you’ll find he never updates or changes his mind on new recruits.

Purpose being to constantly remind people of their junior days as an excuse to highlight that he saw them as juniors ;)

Bit late to be holding out this sort of hope isn’t it?

Not really. He's only 23. This season obliterated by an early injury (so didn't end up in the mid rotation, but think he would have). And last season looks worse than it was because stats are weighed down by 3x injury affected games and one game he came back while very underdone and wasn't with it.

So hard to 'stamp authority' on the competition when you have effectively year 4 and 5 wiped out by injury, the exact years most players move into the mids. It's all role. Parish only got it in year 6 because of role.

That's fine, we're all entitled to opinions ......5 years in the system, and is played in "fringe" roles ....I've watched every game he's played, and where you believe Clark's lack of pace is not an issue, I believe it is why he's played off the HBF and Wing .....too slow for the midfield

Comparisons to Pendles is speculative, without any evidence to support it ......you say, he has the ability to slow time around him ....well he's been hit more times in 5 years, that Pendles in his career ....there is a reason

Clark is a straight line runner ...has he a sidestep / bulk ? .....if he has, he hasn't demonstrated it

Comparing him to Pendles is a disservice to Pendles .....Reiwoldt had the audacity in 2021 to call Clark a budding SuperStar of 2021 ....well that was an abject failure of a statement

See above for an assessment on years 4 & 5. It's hard to escape the fringe roles when you're injured a lot/on the eve of the season. Too slow for the midfield is a weird call - I agree, he's a bit of a slug in straight lines, but off half back that's just as bad as in the guts. Can get away with it as an inside mid.

The sidestep/baulk comment is very weird. It's kind of...his point of difference? A quick search on twitter has these clips. There's a lot more. But when your movement through traffic motivates people to clip it and post it to socials, I think it's noteworthy. Look at some of these. The bloke's movement/sidestep through traffic is very Pendlebury like.

By no means am I saying he's going to be that good, but there are commonalities. I can't help but be optimistic that once he gets a crack at the role he'll show that.

Not really. He's only 23. This season obliterated by an early injury (so didn't end up in the mid rotation, but think he would have). And last season looks worse than it was because stats are weighed down by 3x injury affected games and one game he came back while very underdone and wasn't with it.

So hard to 'stamp authority' on the competition when you have effectively year 4 and 5 wiped out by injury, the exact years most players move into the mids. It's all role. Parish only got it in year 6 because of role.

See above for an assessment on years 4 & 5. It's hard to escape the fringe roles when you're injured a lot/on the eve of the season. Too slow for the midfield is a weird call - I agree, he's a bit of a slug in straight lines, but off half back that's just as bad as in the guts. Can get away with it as an inside mid.

The sidestep/baulk comment is very weird. It's kind of...his point of difference? A quick search on twitter has these clips. There's a lot more. But when your movement through traffic motivates people to clip it and post it to socials, I think it's noteworthy. Look at some of these. The bloke's movement/sidestep through traffic is very Pendlebury like.

By no means am I saying he's going to be that good, but there are commonalities. I can't help but be optimistic that once he gets a crack at the role he'll show that.

Watch Clark out of contests, in those clips ....he has no pace off the mark, out of the contest

I understand junior track-watchers being excited, based on his U18 games .....it simply hasn't translated to senior footy though .....quicker AFL pace catch's him out

Even today, there was radio discussion on St Kilda, about who their "Stars" are, going fwd ......not even a mention of Clark

And as hard as a cat's head and genuinely dual sided.

Watch Clark out of contests, in those clips ....he has no pace off the mark, out of the contest

I understand junior track-watchers being excited, based on his U18 games .....it simply hasn't translated to senior footy though .....quicker AFL pace catch's him out

Even today, there was radio discussion on St Kilda, about who their "Stars" are, going fwd ......not even a mention of Clark

I didn’t have Clark top 10 in his draft year. It was his post draft stuff that seduced me.

I’m just not sure about your reasoning here. It’s as if slow players can never make the grade? As if Pendlebury himself isn’t pretty slow as well? You do need speed if you can create time. Speed is one of many roles within a balanced midfield, not the only one.

And I’m not sure some radio boffins not acknowledging him as a future star is evidence that he’s not. It’s very easy to fall off the radar when you’ve been absent ish for a couple of years. That’s what we’re discussing. There’s a few of us who believe there’s upside, and others who don’t. That’s fine. I think he’s a good chance to be a ‘top 3 on a list’ kind of player and happy to put a carton on that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wrong, it should always come down to who the recruiting team think is the most talented, you're suggesting size should come into it, only time that may be a factor if it's a line ball decision between draftees.

Who we have in the midfield currently shouldn't be a consideration really, if it's a midfielder we're taking talent and skill set should be the overriding factor not whether they're 6ft or 7ft.

Edit: I've pointed out several times Wardlaw is not over 6ft which you choose to ignore. You're the one that brought in the must be over 6ft not me.
Yet the recruiting team have got it so wrong on almost every front when considering a modern day midfield and if we didnt know better we would assume they dont rate anyone over 182cm with speed or skill as a midfielder.

Theres is a distinct change from Rendall as recruitment manager and since hes left with midfield selection and the results are poor. Dangerfield, Sloane, Smith, BCrouch with less and shitter picks than Hamish has had.

Imagine the only guys picked as midfielders over 183cm is a low pick being O'Connor and getting Hately and Keays for free.
So one can almost believe they think taking a taller midfielder is of higher risk.
Hamish is defaulting to smaller guys, why NFI so what he is valuing needs to be more than questioned.

There may have been reasons and excuses in the past which personally I call BS but this year as point out several times there should be many options around our pick and very very limited smaller guys.

I didnt bring the 6ft originally and only joined the conversation and agreed based on this draft where it currently is and whose likely to be available.

So summary our talent selection for midfielders is atrocious under Hamish and Im saying again theres talented taller guys higher in the pecking order and if it is a line ball this year we should take the taller one instead of the shorter one which has been Hamish way.

Don't disagree, but in analysing the draft since say 2018 or even earlier, I don't think we have missed any tall mids have we?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember one poster being particularly keen on Riley Collier-Dawkins beacause of his size and supposed big upside.....Appears to have been a failure to this point unable to break into Richmond's aging midfield and youngsters drafted after him look to have gone past him, Jack Ross being one.

In RCD's case the recruiters look like they got it right when he slipped so far .

Everybody is lauded at all times when players are speaking publicly. And whether true or not it's irrelevant to the point I'm making. This is a plain fact, Tex used the media to apply pressure to the club in order to get the club to offer him a new contract. You choose to ignore this or at least address what you think about it. Obviously, he has every right to drive a hard bargain and get what he can, but the club doesn't play it out in the media and nor should Tex. Doing that shows a fair degree of selfishness, which isn't unexpected from our senior players. And the information that you're using is heavily compromised because nobody speaks their mind about teammates or coaches in the media.

If Tex was all about club first, as lots of posters claim about Sloane, he'd respect the process and engage with the club when they've said they would, not run a media campaign. He's 32, he needed rests last year, he clearly needed the rest this year and was just ok against Suns. The club should be waiting to get more info as to what's left in Tex's body in order to determine the value of his next contract. And a club first player would understand and respect that position.

It's ok, it's just that he's not purely about the club, like pretty much every other player out there.
Also consider the selfish nature of applying pressure to the club through the media, as both Sloane and Walker have done recently, in context of them being club captains for the past 8 years combined. The captain is a key driver of club culture, obviously.

Is it any surprise we are totally cooked as an organisation?

I remember one poster being particularly keen on Riley Collier-Dawkins beacause of his size and supposed big upside.....Appears to have been a failure to this point unable to break into Richmond's aging midfield and youngsters drafted after him look to have gone past him, Jack Ross being one.

In RCD's case the recruiters look like they got it right when he slipped so far .
That was me, dominated a vfl final thought he was going to turn into a decent mid...hasn't seem to translate to the afl.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't disagree, but in analysing the draft since say 2018 or even earlier, I don't think we have missed any tall mids have we?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Berry, SPP, Worpel, Cadwell, Hately, Duursma, Rivers, Stevens, O'Driscoll, Poulter, Draper are some I liked.

Rivers I feel was a gift at 32.

We could have taken Ash a bit like a Dangerfield pick and that wouldnt have been without risk.

Kemp and Holland's due to knees slid but were options if we choose to trade down
Bytel another slider due to injuries.

I personally would have thought it logical to keep taking a chance on bigger body midfielder who slid than hang on to the likes of Davis, Knights, etc and even retiring Douglas, Mckay and Thompson a year earlier.
Ned Long is another that comes to mind.

What I'm banging on about is it hasn't been had to get some balance but it's obvious it's not important by those in charge.

It's not as if we haven't had many picks lately.

Berry, SPP, Worpel, Cadwell, Hately, Duursma, Rivers, Stevens, O'Driscoll, Poulter, Draper are some I liked.

Rivers I feel was a gift at 32.

We could have taken Ash a bit like a Dangerfield pick and that wouldnt have been without risk.

Kemp and Holland's due to knees slid but were options if we choose to trade down
Bytel another slider due to injuries.

I personally would have thought it logical to keep taking a chance on bigger body midfielder who slid than hang on to the likes of Davis, Knights, etc and even retiring Douglas, Mckay and Thompson a year earlier.
Ned Long is another that comes to mind.

What I'm banging on about is it hasn't been had to get some balance but it's obvious it's not important by those in charge.

It's not as if we haven't had many picks lately.
A lot of the players you listed are not big bodied mids

A lot of the players you listed are not big bodied mids
I presume he means Dylan Stephens there not "Stevens" who is definitely not a big bodied mid by definition.

Hindsight is great hey and not one player there that looks like making it to the elite category, several really good players there though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back