Review Silence at the AO as Cats defeat PA by 12 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Ceglar fit enough to play next week if Stanley doesn't get up?
Possibly not but they will use the VFL bye to get some really solid training into him (he doesnt need game recovery). So might as well see how he goes next week and give Reece a rest. If he really isn’t up to fitness then give Neale another crack - although I would rather see Neale have a crack in the forward line and give Hawke his last rest for the year

The huge difference with this group is their ability to respond. Absorb the opposition onslaught, regroup and win the game.

The Cats of old would have lost this game, the Tigers game and maybe even the Demons game. We've found a way to change the tide without going into our shells and playing conservative. It's great to see.
That’s been the key, the ability to absorb the opposition onslaught and then take it to a new level. We are the best closers in the league.

Henry should have passed to Neale in the last qt, I think did not pass to Neale as he did not trust the kid yet
There was also a chance late where Rohan could have passed to Stengle to waste time. Either way, they will watch the vision and learn from that.

Kinda felt like his go to is to dive on the ball at all costs but he doesn’t seem to be extracting anything out to teammates, just holding up play. Not sure what it is but hopefully he’s playing 4D chess with us all and just going to be a contested ball winning beast come finals.
He got unlucky today, he usually gets the ball out somehow, but today it got knocked back at him and he got pinged. Still, have to agree that he loves diving at the ball.
On that not, that low contact free points out how bad that rule is. I thought it was for sliding in etc. Not for hotly contesting a ball on the ground. Maybe they changed the rule to rugby union's? :)

He got unlucky today, he usually gets the ball out somehow, but today it got knocked back at him and he got pinged. Still, have to agree that he loves diving at the ball.
On that not, that low contact free points out how bad that rule is. I thought it was for sliding in etc. Not for hotly contesting a ball on the ground. Maybe they changed the rule to rugby union's? :)
That was a terrible call, Dixon came in late, the ball was on the ground he had no intention of doing anything other than sinking the slipper into it, instead of kicking in Danger it was declared the opposite.

Hasn’t been mentioned yet but I thought Miers was excellent compared to his usual standard. Was involved in a lot of link up work.
Agree he still makes mistakes, but he’s competing and being far more physical than he was, Jezza’s brain fart miss was the direct result of a great vision pass on the wing by Grug.

Hasn’t been mentioned yet but I thought Miers was excellent compared to his usual standard. Was involved in a lot of link up work.

Apart from that short pass across half back which resulted in a Port goal in the 3rd.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At 3qtr time I swore out aloud 'Tom Atkins has been f***in s**t!' ....I think he heard me.
Don't worry you weren't alone, boy that was a huge quarter by him
Port really came hard and I thought we were doomed but a massive effort to win away against the flow
Really enjoying the improvement of Close, Stengle, Atkins and great to see the midfield lift despite quiet games from Danger and Selwood
Despite the quiet games even those 2 had some big plays in the last quarter
Neale was ok and showed enough to build on in future
Great spread up forward too with everyone contributing to the scoreboard

I thought the Cats were done in that third quarter, but their maturity to regroup in the break and get themselves back into the game was just amazing. Atkins was massive in that last quarter. This guy is a genuine bull in the midfield. He makes it hard for Parfitt to come back. This was a team effort tonight, with no real standouts, except for Hawkins and Atkins, IMO. I think Scotty would be very pleased with that. This was Port's last chance to make the eight, and they played like a team with nothing to lose. This was good for the Cats because this is exactly how teams play in the finals. They throw everything they've got at you. The Cats stood up under that pressure and prevailed. That was freakin awesome.

That was a terrible call, Dixon came in late, the ball was on the ground he had no intention of doing anything other than sinking the slipper into it, instead of kicking in Danger it was declared the opposite.
Exactly! His feet/legs had no right to be there. Isn't he suppose to be trying to pickup the ball. Only the Irishmen can do it with their feet.

2007 we beat Port to win the GF. Since then they have rebuilt, come back up and had a stint in finals and now 15 years later we end their season and finals. All the while not having had to rebuild.

Remarkable longevity.

This from Swampy kinda ties into the above, and while as you pointed out Port have gone through a rebuild, this also shows the longevity of two club champions

He has had an excellent month in Terms of link play. Getting ~ 20 possessions a week now which shows he is doing more than just forward play.

Issue remains his disposal is not getting better. And it does hurt at times (I know same can be said of Danger but his reputation will keep him safe for finals). Even though Miers has had a good month I think he is high risk to miss best 22 when it comes to pointy end. will be fighting out for sub role I think

I thought the Cats were done in that third quarter, but their maturity to regroup in the break and get themselves back into the game was just amazing. Atkins was massive in that last quarter. This guy is a genuine bull in the midfield. He makes it hard for Parfitt to come back. This was a team effort tonight, with no real standouts, except for Hawkins and Atkins, IMO. I think Scotty would be very pleased with that. This was Port's last chance to make the eight, and they played like a team with nothing to lose. This was good for the Cats because this is exactly how teams play in the finals. They throw everything they've got at you. The Cats stood up under that pressure and prevailed. That was freakin awesome.
That’s been my thoughts, I mean I like Parfitt but what would his role be, I’m not sure, I’ve thought MOC was probably struggling but been ok last two weeks, can’t see anyone in the current midfield being moved for him outside of that.

Gutsy win in the end over those flogs Port! The cheating umps can get stuffed too! No stars today (apart from Atkins) just a good team effort apart from that woeful 3rd quarter.

Can't believe they never score reviewed Dangers foot poke goal, that was blatant cheating if Ive ever seen it! Shocking. Thought Dixon got the rub of the green a few times with these supposed arm chops by De Koning too. Can't stand that whinging, nut case. What was with the high tackle on Miers not paid and Joel getting thrown to the ground without the ball as well. A couple more obvious ones.

Good win in the end over the umps and the feral Port crowd too! Roll on Cattas!

Glad to take the gutsy win, but conceding 8-1 in the third must be a concern.
It means in future we can't relax and get a bit cocky like we did on here at half time- me included.
Port killed us in the stoppages to get that far, but in the last we turned that around - got on top at stoppages and scoring eiciency: from (8 from 15).

MOC is really struggling, especially with decision making, and not keeping up. Even in the last 20 seconds, slowly looking to hand pass and nearly getting nailed, instead of booting it out of danger. Stewart can't come back fast enough, despite winning without him.

Last edited:
It's been revealed what Scott was looking at on the laptop in the quarter-time huddle....

295434602_566156298571930_3313715441257724977_n.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back