Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Preliminary Final - Swans v Pies Sat Sept 17th 4:45pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 21 10.9%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 78 40.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 37 19.3%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 39 20.3%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 4.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 4 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

IMHO the comp is so close now 17th to contending is not really a lot of difference, our list was not a lot different from last year. The big difference was the style of game and development of the raw youngens comin through.

Considering the club imploding off field over the 20 and 21 there's every reason for this team to finish how they did last year.

Our list now is STILL imbalanced in Age demographic and from a kp point of view - yet we'll finish top 4. We're still developing and still have a long way to go.

If you wanna compare lists, EVERY other team that made the 8 had better lists - certainly more balanced. You could then add the blues, certainly a better and younger list as much as that pains me to say.

But it's not just about lists is it, big part of the ingredients yeah, but needs other bits to make it all work.
Buckley IMO can take a fair bit of credit for our success this year, he made us a dour defensive unit, Fly comes in and goes maniac attack at all costs, without the defensive grounding we got under Bucks this season and game plan doesnā€™t work IMO, considering the talent on our list and our success this year expect a lot teams to copy, but as I said without that defensive grounding it wonā€™t mean much, and that isnā€™t something that just comes, took Bucks years to get it right.

So now we have the most attacking game plan possibly ever (apart from that dude who coached the Dockers decades ago, made it a rule to play on every, single, time, crazy scientist was he) mixed with a team who spent eons with one of the most defensive coaches of his era.

That is one hell of a combination.

Last edited:

Abit sadistic of me, but I loved seeing how much this meant to them. Onwards and upwards for the Magpies.

View attachment 1511057

Best of luck next week to both the Cats and Swans - hopefully you guys give us a thriller to enjoy.
Nah apparently it's weak if Petty cries but it's okay if you lose a footy match. This conditional crying thing is nonsense. For the record, I've got no issues with players crying but at least be consistent.

Nah apparently it's weak if Petty cries but it's okay if you lose a footy match. This conditional crying thing is nonsense. For the record, I've got no issues with players crying but at least be consistent.
Iā€™m not a big fan of the crying, i appreciate the work that goes in etc but FMD, you cry when you lose a loved one, losing a game means nothing in comparison.

Iā€™m not a big fan of the crying, i appreciate the work that goes in etc but FMD, you cry when you lose a loved one, losing a game means nothing in comparison.
So what's McRae waffling on about when he says not lying on the ground, we're winners. But stand and cry instead? I find McRae one of those guys who says 'I don't want to talk about my ex' 100 times at a party only to spend most of the party talking about her. McRae spends so much time talking about not wanting to be losers, not wanting to talk about what ifs only to do just that.

So what's McRae waffling on about when he says not lying on the ground, we're winners. But stand and cry instead? I find McRae one of those guys who says 'I don't want to talk about my ex' 100 times at a party only to spend most of the party talking about her. McRae spends so much time talking about not wanting to be losers, not wanting to talk about what ifs only to do just that.
I donā€™t even know the name of your coach.

What's grouse about all of this.. we've been flat out like a lizard drinking trying to get things right mate.. keeping it real mate.. and we're getting there mate.

The Fly and the GDub are not gonna deviate from what's real. Winning premierships!

We had a good lash at it this yr.. and I reckon we'll be thereabouts again next yr.

Even more delicious the day after.
Comfy win in reality. Relaxed with a healthy lead for 95% of the game....then let them get close enough that hopes rose before the tears flowed.
Perhaps a bit of payback from the footy gods for all those tight wins. After the season they had it was an epic troll in the end. They were so brave.

Luv those Swannies.

(yeah yeah, of course the pussies will murder us next week. For sure)

Noble's benefited from the Fly's motto.. playing a lot better this yr.. but so has everyone else really.. last night looked like a stubby short of a 6 pack though.. don't dislike him.. but he's a 22-28 range player. Thereabouts. Good depth player. Get a Heath Shaw type to replace him to play alongside IQ. Convert a mid into a HBF. Whatever. Mihocek.. might make me as popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip.. he's good.. but McStay is a better option. Reef man.. good pre season.. fit and ready to go for Rd 1. And sign De GOAT and etc.

Not gonna put on the wobbly boot over last night's result. First time in 10 yrs I'm feeling 'really' optimistic about our chances next yr. The Fly and GDub will make the right decisions. Gonna get out the budgie smugglers.. the boardies or whatever and go on hollies not having to think about where we're heading as a club. We're not beating around the bush about our football anymore.. we're going hard yakka for that premiership mate. And we'll get there.. we'll get there.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble's benefited from the Fly's motto.. playing a lot better this yr.. but so has everyone else really.. last night looked like a stubby short of a 6 pack though.. don't dislike him.. but he's a 22-28 range player. Thereabouts. Good depth player. Get a Heath Shaw type to replace him to play alongside IQ. Convert a mid into a HBF. Whatever. Mihocek.. might make me as popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip.. he's good.. but McStay is a better option. Reef man.. good pre season.. fit and ready to go for Rd 1. And sign De GOAT and etc.

Not gonna put on the wobbly boot over last night's result. First time in 10 yrs I'm feeling 'really' optimistic about our chances next yr. The Fly and GDub will make the right decisions. Gonna get out the budgie smugglers.. the boardies or whatever and go on hollies not having to think about where we're heading as a club. We're not beating around the bush about our football anymore.. we're going hard yakka for that premiership mate. And we'll get there.
Probably a naive question but why didn't you feel optimistic after 2018 losing a GF by a goal? Or a year later after almost making a GF?

JDG jumped on the ball with 23 seconds to go in front of goal, first Swans player missed tackle, second stuck, zero attempt to get rid of it and it was called a ball up.

That would have been the talking point if the Pies had goaled from the stoppage.

Also, Paps was hit on the head, so mark or not he deserved the kick once he luckily got away with HITB.

JDG jumped on the ball with 23 seconds to go in front of goal, first Swans player missed tackle, second stuck, zero attempt to get rid of it and it was called a ball up.

That would have been the talking point if the Pies had goaled from the stoppage.

Also, Paps was hit on the head, so mark or not he deserved the kick once he luckily got away with HITB.
Warner was then tackled without the ball by Ginnipoo at the next ball up. Plenty of times the umps could have actually blown a swans free and actually won us the game like some claim they did anyway but they swallowed the whistle because it's the last minute of a final.

Pies just couldn't quite catch us
Simon Pegg Swan GIF by Working Title

One thing is for sure, Pies would've smashed Lions at the G in a prelim and if last night was at the G in a GF you'd back the Pies to find an extra goal. That close QF loss was a huge blow to snatching a premiership.

Itā€™s funny I donā€™t like Geelong and not big on Selwood or Dangerfield but I donā€™t get the Hawkins hate. Comes across as a really nice fella to me.
Chris Scott on the other handā€¦
Hawkins gets out marked or spolit, the first thing he does is looks to the umpire for a free. The whole Geelong side does it with the odd exception. If they ever extend the dissent rule to appealing for frees Geelong is finished.

Reid torched him early but after he got injured Moore was more influential, he was far from your worst player.

He wasn't on Reid. Pies defense plays a zone but Darcy was put deep which took him out of the play. Pies reset their defense, moved Murphy back in the zone and Moore up higher where we could start to intercept. Pies play a high risk game, there will be mistakes.

This talk of a free kick is ridiculous. It wasnā€™t a push in the back, Papley is simply holding his ground whereas Moore isnā€™t even remotely steady on his feet.

Collingwood fans love a whinge and seem to have no idea about the rules whatsoever.
No 50 they reckon? Bloody hell šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
The Tom Hawkins defense. How many defenders 'lose their ground' against Tommy, is extraordinary.

Back