Competitions WCE Board 2022 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft (F/S bid matched)
2. GWS - Aaron Cadman
3. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
4. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
5. Essendon - Elijah Tsatas
6. Gold Coast - Oliver Hollands
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong - Jedd Busslinger
9. West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou
10. St Kilda - Cam Mackenzie
11. Carlton - Bailey Humphrey
12. Western Bulldogs - Reuben Ginbey
13. West Coast - Elijah Hewett
14. Melbourne - Matt Jefferson
15. Sydney - Isaac Keeler
16. GWS - Olli Hotton
17. Collingwood - Harry Barnett
18. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher (F/S bid matched)
19. Sydney - Brayden George
20. GWS - Henry Hustwaite

ROUND 2 :

21. GWS - Lewis Hayes
22. Essendon - Alwyn Davey Jnr (F/S bid matched)
23. West Coast - Darcy Jones
24. Essendon Match Davey bid
24. Western Bulldogs - Josh Weddle
25. Adelaide - Jakob Ryan
26. Hawthorn - Coby Burgiel
27. Collingwood - Lachie Cowan
28. West Coast - Ed Allan
29. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke
30. St Kilda - Jacob Konstanty
31. Carlton - Nick Sadler
32. Fremantle - Mitch Szybkowski
33. North Melbourne (traded from GWS) - Max Gruzewski
34. Adelaide - Max Michalanney (F/S bid matched)
35. St Kilda - Sam Gilbey
36. Port Adelaide - James Van Es
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
37. Melbourne - Jackson Broadbent
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid

ROUND 3 :

38. Western Bulldogs - Anthony Munkara
39. GWS (traded from North Melbourne) - Taj Campbell-Farell
40. Hawthorn - Jaxon Binns
41. Sydney - Adam D'Aliola
42. North Melbourne - Kaleb Smith
43. Fremantle - Harry Lemmey
44. Gold Coast - Tom McCallum
44. Adelaide Match Michalanney bid
45. St Kilda - Kobe Ryan
46. Hawthorn - Phoenix Foster
47. Carlton - Harry Rowston
48. Hawthorn - Blake Durry
49. Collingwood - Jaidon Magor
50. Hawthorn - Finn Emile-Brennan
51. Richmond - Corey Tregenza-Cashell
52. Essendon - Tom Scully
55. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
56. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
53. GWS - Jed Hagan
54. Geelong - William Dowling

ROUND 4 :

55. North Melbourne - Pass
56. Port Adelaide - Max Knobel
57. GWS - Pass
58. Essendon - Jack Cleaver
59. Essendon (Points surplus from matched Davey bid) - Ethan Phillips
60. Richmond - Will Verall
61. Geelong
62. Hawthorn - Pass
63. Carlton
64. Fremantle

END DRAFT

Last edited:
Mop has offered to step in for eaglespremiers to select for Melbourne

So to keep this draft moving can you provide the Melbourne selection please Mop
Sorry guys, the storms/flooding around my place caused my internet cable to be pulled down on Sunday and it's only been fixed by the NBN this afternoon. This was the soccer field on Thursday evening last week about 200m from my place:
311341325_2235248293315102_7737478304341962368_n.jpg
Unfortunately, my phone (despite being on a Telstra plan) decided that our house is now a deadspot. I couldn't load the google chrome start page, check my emails, facebook or tapatalk.
Effectively I've been incognito for all this week and only have a short period during my work days when I take a lunch break (which I don't usually take) or on Sunday late evening when I was at a friends.
In any event for my first selection for Melbourne I would've picked Jefferson as well.
Again apologies for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, the storms/flooding around my place caused my internet cable to be pulled down on Sunday and it's only been fixed by the NBN this afternoon. This was the soccer field on Thursday evening last week about 200m from my place:
View attachment 1540105
Unfortunately, my phone (despite being on a Telstra plan) decided that our house is now a deadspot. I couldn't load the google chrome start page, check my emails, facebook or tapatalk.
Effectively I've been incognito for all this week and only have a short period during my work days when I take a lunch break (which I don't usually take) or on Sunday late evening when I was at a friends.
In any event for my first selection for Melbourne I would've picked Jefferson as well.

I can understand why Mop would be helpful.

View attachment 1540105
Sorry to hear mate and quite understandable why you weren’t posting.

Hope all is as well as it can be for you

Pick 51 Richmond

COREYTREGENZA-CASHELL​

1666223518502.png
I had this Kid in my top five so this is a great result!!!!

This kid had a good year kicking 26 goals over 9 colts games with three bags of five. He showed he can do it on the big stage with one of these bags coming in the Prelim against Subi.
Without knowing his athletic profile and Corey being an over ager, he is some what a speculative pick but I think he could be a bargain. Plus one look at him and his head screams Richmond to me.
Hopefully , the flog Lynch won't ruin him too much.
I'd actually love West Coast to find a spot on the Rookie list for this guy.
Schtinker you're up

Sorry to hear mate and quite understandable why you weren’t posting.

Hope all is as well as it can be for you
We're fine (outside of not having internet for the week).
Some of our friends have been more affected (such as friends in Rochester).
This is Lake Eppalock (south of Bendigo) late last week:
307764498_6020551957974566_8734524847044742451_n.jpg
311785208_5568408806576590_5443954556802631707_n.jpg
In July this year Lake Eppalock was less than 50% capacity and now it's at 130% capacity.
And this was the highway coming into the east of Bendigo (which we are just off, further into town though):
311450914_640449080747379_4725852196832352505_n.jpg
These are just scenes we'd never thought we'd see. Certainly not such a turnaround in less than 3 months.
Sorry to derail the thread.

Pick 52.

Just think Essendons forward line leaves a lot to be desired and the delisting of Waterman now leaves them vulnerable. Was going to go with Josh Cowan from Tassie or even Alwyn Daveys twin but they can pick him up as a rookie if need be. Also looked at
2022 Fothergil - Round - Mitchell award winner the 23 year old, 198cm key defender Ethan Phillips but decided a back was not in play.

Thomas Scully
State: South Australia
State League Club: West Adelaide
Community Club: Lockleys
Date of Birth: 02/11/04; Height: 203cm; Weight: 89kg

A tall forward who had a wonderful start to the 2022 season, with his overhead marking and accuracy around goals earning him a call up to AFL Academy team that represented Australia. He showed glimpses of his sizable potential up forward as a marking target during that match against Collingwood’s VFL side in May. He booted 50 goals in 14 matches for West Adelaide in the SANFL under-18s, as well as playing one game for South Australia at the 2022 NAB AFL National Championships U18 Boys.

We're fine (outside of not having internet for the week).
Some of our friends have been more affected (such as friends in Rochester).
This is Lake Eppalock (south of Bendigo) late last week:
View attachment 1540120
View attachment 1540123
In July this year Lake Eppalock was less than 50% capacity and now it's at 130% capacity.
And this was the highway coming into the east of Bendigo (which we are just off, further into town though):
View attachment 1540125
These are just scenes we'd never thought we'd see. Certainly not such a turnaround in less than 3 months.
Sorry to derail the thread.
Pretty bad, our family place in Rochester got flooded. I was going to head up and help my parents clean up but our damage wasn’t too bad in the end, compared to the rest of town.

Hopefully the make some changes as they clearly didn't do much after 2011.

20221015_185117.jpg

GWS select Jed Hagan. 175cm defender/midfielder from East Fremantle. Was considered a top 30 prospect earlier in the year but slid in calculations, possibly due to his height. Played league most of the year for East Freo averaging 13 possessions and kicked a bag of 3 in round 12. I'd probably look at him more as a small rebounding defender for the Giants.

Monocle is up for the final pick of the draft I think?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This pick pains me because it’s the last Club l want to give a good player to.
But you guys left him on the board, so here it goes.

Pick 54 . Geelong pick.

William Dowling. 187 cm 79 kg
Midfielder North Adelaide.

I actually have him sitting in the 30’s on my board.

He had a very good championships and got a lot of touches, he probably flew under the radar as a lot of commentary was given to D’Alio.
Much of Dowlings work was done in close so it’s easy to miss that sort of stuff.

In the SA under 18’s he was a prolific ball winner and averaged 30 possessions per game.
His best game was against the highly fancied Glenelg, where he managed 44 possessions and kicked 4 goals 3.

I think the kid will make it and a Club is going to be pleased to have drafted him.

Just pisses me off that I picked him for Geelong.

Others that I am surprised missed out were:
Darcy Edmends
Noah Long
Max Knoble ( but the giraffe probably a rookie ).

Last edited:

Pick 54 . Geelong pick.

He had a very good championships and got a lot of touches, he probably flew under the radar as a lot of commentary was given to D’Alio.
Much of Dowlings work was done in close so it’s easy to miss that sort of stuff.

In the SA under 18’s he was a prolific ball winner and averaged 30 possessions per game.
His best game was against the highly fancied Glenelg, where he managed 44 possessions and kicked 4 goals 3.

I think the kid will make it and a Club is going to be pleased to have drafted him.

Darcy Edmends
Noah Long
Great late pick

Port are drafting tall this year apparently.

With pick 56 the Port Adelaide Football Club select Max Knobel.

Max-Knobel-GP-2022-NAB-League.jpg

Admittedly this has been a difficult draft for me with Port's picks being pretty late on in the piece, but I have identified a couple of areas of need for Port that best suit the later stages of this draft which are talls. Understandably Knobel quite easily could have made it all the way to the rookie draft, however I don't expect he would last long enough there for me to have a crack so I think it's worth taking a punt on him with our final pick. With Knobel, Teakle and Visentini, this pick sures up Port's developing ruck stocks for the foreseeable future and allows them to focus on other areas of need in 2023.

Courtesy of Rookie Me Central -

Height: 206cm
Weight: 91kg
D.O.B: 27-06-2004
Leagues: NAB League Boys

STRENGTHS:

+ Ruck nous
  • Marking
  • Inside 50 presence
  • Versatility
  • Upside

IMPROVEMENTS:

- Raw
- Production

Knobel is a terrific long-term talent who is best suited to a ruck role, but can certainly rest forward and assist in ticking over the scoreboard. Though not completely reliable with his set shots - despite kicking 5.0 in the NAB League - Knobel is a strong mark and one who, if he does not take the ball at the highest point, will bring it to ground. Now at 206cm, there are few players able to spoil an opponent of that size, particularly when his hands are pretty sure.

If given his chance, Knobel is one who will develop through the VFL, and continue to bulk up to increase the sureness of his hands when going up for grabs. At underage level, it is easy enough for Knobel to use his height over opponents, but against bigger bodies and smarter opponents, he will need to level up in terms of his strength and positioning. His smarts are good, but he still has those 'ruckman moments'. In one example against the Northern Knights at Morwell, Knobel dropped a sitter at the top of 50, then quickly recovered to pick it up, snap it round his body and it sailed home with a move that a player of his size should not be able to do.

In other words, Knobel has 'it' and is one who, with the right development could be a valuable pickup late in the draft, or even as a rookie. He is not one who will consistently work up and down the ground, and is still ironing out areas of his game to make him more complete, but from a long-term perspective, Knobel is a player with serious potential.

Last edited:

Pick 60 Richmond​

Happy to get this guy in to develop over a few seasons. Has a lot of upside and I think has the tools to develop as a decent forward ruck.

View attachment 1540270Will Verrall​

Height: 199cm
Weight: 92kg
D.O.B: 11-03-2004
Leagues: SANFL Under 18s

STRENGTHS:
  • Contested work
  • Mobility
  • Overhead marking
  • Upside
  • Vertical leap

IMPROVEMENTS:
  • Endurance
  • Forward craft

Will Verrall is among the best tall athletes in the draft pool, particularly for a player of his size. Measuring in a 199cm and 92kg, Verrall is an imposing physical presence who proved difficult to manoeuvre at SANFL Under 18 level where he often competed against slighter opponents. A very mobile ruckman, Verrall's strength, combined with his terrific leap saw him place amongst the top three in total hitouts two years running. Verrall recently managed the third highest running vertical jump at the national combine with an impressive leap of 90cm. Importantly, Verrall makes use of his athletic traits in-game to beat the opposition, whether it be in the air or at ground level.

Although he'll no doubt require some fine-tuning if he makes it to the next level, Verrall is a smart ruckman who positions himself well in the contest. He is a strong mark overhead and a very competent contested grab, without being totally dominant in the air. However Verrall's most attractive work comes once the ball hits the deck. The line has become a cliche with tall players, but Verrall truly does become an extra midfielder in general play, with his agility, willingness to get involved in handball chains and confidence with ball in-hand ensuring he averaged a strong 15.5 disposals across both the 2021 and 2022 seasons at Under 18 level. He is a sound user of the ball by hand and foot and a strong clearance winner, averaging almost five per game this year.

Coming into the 2022 season, Verrall would have been eager to make a bigger impact on the scoreboard after he booted just three goals in 15 matches in his bottom-aged year. However he spent more time in attack this year and clearly improved in the area, kicking two bags of three for a tally of 12. Although he projects as a ruckman at this stage, he has shown some promise as a key forward and possesses the athleticism to adapt to the position. Like most ruckman drafted, Verrall is a couple of years away from playing senior football, with his endurance running a pre-season or two away from being at the required level.

Credit: Rookie Me Central

Pick 54 . Geelong pick.

Darcy Edmends
Noah Long
Just from watching a bit of vision of this kid, there is a lot of Josh Kennedy in the way he plays.
He has a high footy IQ, can midfield and is athletic.
The issues I can see are not as quick as other players, but doesn't seem slow and his kicking can be off at times.
Would love him with one of our picks in the 20s.
Maybe even try and partner him up with his Roosters team mate Isaac Keeler with the other 20s pick.

Draft Order and Selections

ROUND 1 :

1. Brisbane - Will Ashcroft (F/S bid matched)
2. GWS - Aaron Cadman
3. North Melbourne - George Wardlaw
4. North Melbourne - Harry Sheezel
5. Essendon - Elijah Tsatas
6. Gold Coast - Oliver Hollands
7. Hawthorn - Jhye Clark
8. Geelong - Jedd Busslinger
9. West Coast - Mattaes Phillipou
10. St Kilda - Cam Mackenzie
11. Carlton - Bailey Humphrey
12. Western Bulldogs - Reuben Ginbey
13. West Coast - Elijah Hewett
14. Melbourne - Matt Jefferson
15. Sydney - Isaac Keeler
16. GWS - Olli Hotton
17. Collingwood - Harry Barnett
18. Brisbane - Jaspa Fletcher (F/S bid matched)
19. Sydney - Brayden George
20. GWS - Henry Hustwaite

ROUND 2 :

21. GWS - Lewis Hayes
22. Essendon - Alwyn Davey Jnr (F/S bid matched)
23. West Coast - Darcy Jones
24. Essendon Match Davey bid
24. Western Bulldogs - Josh Weddle
25. Adelaide - Jakob Ryan
26. Hawthorn - Coby Burgiel
27. Collingwood - Lachie Cowan
28. West Coast - Ed Allan
29. Collingwood - Charlie Clarke
30. St Kilda - Jacob Konstanty
31. Carlton - Nick Sadler
32. Fremantle - Mitch Szybkowski
33. North Melbourne (traded from GWS) - Max Gruzewski
34. Adelaide - Max Michalanney (F/S bid matched)
35. St Kilda - Sam Gilbey
36. Port Adelaide - James Van Es
34. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
35. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
36. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
37. Melbourne - Jackson Broadbent
38. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid

ROUND 3 :

38. Western Bulldogs - Anthony Munkara
39. GWS (traded from North Melbourne) - Taj Campbell-Farell
40. Hawthorn - Jaxon Binns
41. Sydney - Adam D'Aliola
42. North Melbourne - Kaleb Smith
43. Fremantle - Harry Lemmey
44. Gold Coast - Tom McCallum
44. Adelaide Match Michalanney bid
45. St Kilda - Kobe Ryan
46. Hawthorn - Phoenix Foster
47. Carlton - Harry Rowston
48. Hawthorn - Blake Durry
49. Collingwood - Jaidon Magor
50. Hawthorn - Finn Emile-Brennan
51. Richmond - Corey Tregenza-Cashell
52. Essendon - Tom Scully
55. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
56. Brisbane Match Ashcroft bid
53. GWS - Jed Hagan
54. Geelong - William Dowling

ROUND 4 :

55. North Melbourne - Pass
56. Port Adelaide
57. GWS - Pass
58. Essendon
59. Essendon (Points surplus from matched Davey bid)
60. Richmond
61. Geelong
62. Hawthorn - Pass
63. Carlton
64. Fremantle
Just from watching a bit of vision of this kid, there is a lot of Josh Kennedy in the way he plays.
He has a high footy IQ, can midfield and is athletic.
The issues I can see are not as quick as other players, but doesn't seem slow and his kicking can be off at times.
Would love him with one of our picks in the 20s.
Maybe even try and partner him up with his Roosters team mate Isaac Keeler with the other 20s pick.

WW that’s a good summation of Dowling.

He is a natural footballer, apt comparison is Josh Kennedy.
I though his championships were very solid and definitely consistent.

Last edited:

Pick 54 . Geelong pick.

Darcy Edmends
Noah Long

Great pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back