Training Preseason 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton weren's scapegoated at all. The league gave everyone who came clean amnesty and they ran the gauntlet.
Ah OK yeah I was very young at the time only 13 or something, I didn't even realise that other teams did it until later on, I was thinking maybe Carlton just got done in the end. Anyway my main point is that a lot of teams were doing it, just like many teams tanked.

Ah OK yeah I was very young at the time only 13 or something, I didn't even realise that other teams did it until later on, I was thinking maybe Carlton just got done in the end. Anyway my main point is that a lot of teams were doing it, just like many teams tanked.
No worries I'm in the same boat as you. Only learned about it historically.

But my understanding is that after the amnesty the AFL were super clear that if anyone got caught after they'd be ****ed. John Elliott basically thought he could beat any sanction from the AFL in court.

Once Carlton got caught the AFL had to stick to their word. But Elliot was gone by then and never got the chance to challenge it. John Elliott didn't think the draft would hold up in court either but I reckon he was a bit of a paper tiger.

My memory can be rather sporadic these days , but i think we fessed up to salary cap breaches , got fined $1 million , but at the end of the year got the Million back as a equalization payment . Was one of the conditions that saved us from getting punished like the Blues .

In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne

In 1999, Melbourne were fined $600,000 and forfeited their first, second and third round picks in the National Draft for two years after it was found that they had committed serious and systematic breaches of the salary cap regulations totalling $810,000 between 1995 and 1998. Fremantle were handed Melbourne's first round pick for the 1999 National Draft as compensation for losing ruckman Jeff White to Melbourne
I know I’m taking this off topic for the thread, but it’s still a phenomenal decision that Fremantle was awarded one of the forfeited picks.

White was always leaving Freo, just whether it was Melbourne or St.Kilda as the destination. He wanted back to Melbourne (the city). Fremantle got pick 2 and pick 18 for White and pick 22 which seems a pretty fair trade.

Bizarre and I can’t think of any other time one specific club got compensation for another club’s indiscretions.

Some good training reports on DL. Seems like Grundy really impressing in match sim. Apparently moving well and kicked a couple of goals. When he didn’t mark he followed up well. Before Gawn got injured apparently Gawn/Grundy were swapping playing forward and ruck. The one playing ruck would often drop back behind the footy.

How are the Wagner boys and Omac going? I do miss talking about Bail and Terlich.

Now my mind is going back to Bate, Tapscott, Maric, Juice and so on.

My oh my we had some good times!

How are the Wagner boys and Omac going? I do miss talking about Bail and Terlich.

Now my mind is going back to Bate, Tapscott, Maric, Juice and so on.

My oh my we had some good times!
Remember that preseason when the club didn't have a sponsor and put the national heart foundation on the guernsey.

Also remember beating Collingwood in a practice match in 2012 with our messiah neeld.

Happy The Rock GIF

Remember that preseason when the club didn't have a sponsor and put the national heart foundation on the guernsey.

Also remember beating Collingwood in a practice match in 2012 with our messiah neeld.
Was that when they put Reach on it?

I bought a jumper around that time - the worst jumper ever made, just bought it to laugh in the future about how bad it was. An abomination from Cameron Schwab.

• No front sponsor so had a charity (Reach)
  • Back sponsor a dodgy company Energy Watch that imploded shortly after
  • The 12 stars on the back in an incomplete circle signifying the premierships with the one missing that we would win soon based on his scribbling on a napkin and Whiteboard Wednesdays
  • That ridiculous half collar
  • The clusterf#ck of a logo designed by Schwab

The most over-engineered jumper in the history of sport. The major sponsor was so obviously a dodgy company, the fact that Schwab signed them on with no due diligence is just typical fo that absolute cancer to the club that he was.

I bought a jumper around that time - the worst jumper ever made, just bought it to laugh in the future about how bad it was. An abomination from Cameron Schwab.

• The 12 stars on the back in an incomplete circle signifying the premierships with the one missing that we would win soon based on his scribbling on a napkin and Whiteboard Wednesdays

The most over-engineered jumper in the history of sport. The major sponsor was so obviously a dodgy company, the fact that Schwab signed them on with no due diligence is just typical fo that absolute cancer to the club that he was.
I think that was 2012, because I remember the energy watch was around the same time when neeld was accused of segregating the indigenous players from the non indigenous players. The 12 stars forming an incomplete circle, I remember the reason being that the quest to win premierships would never be complete, pretty cringe worthy. I'm thinking of 09 and I'm pretty sure we had the heart foundation. I don't remember reach but it's pretty sad to have two charities for sponsorship if that was the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be honest with you, i thought those 12 stars was something China related. just because Gold stars on red, and we where trying some stuff in china at the time.

Call me crazy but if footage of that friendly against Brisbane in china existed, i'd actually be keen to see it

I bought the Reach/Energy Watch jumper. After Energy Watch imploded you could take the guernsey into the demon shop and they'd cover it up for free. So then I had a blank guernsey with Reach on it.

Ended up leaving it in an uber when I was shitfaced after we lost to Essendon's team of local footy ring-ins and BenKen was our best player.

Those were the days, tell you what.

I still have it. Got Opel plastered over the EnergyWatch and now it’s coming off with the ravages of time. Got 11 on the back, pride of place signatures are Mitch Clark and Jack Trengove. It’s got about 50 signatures on it too.

It was the jumper I wore to every game until we won the flag.

I still have it. Got Opel plastered over the EnergyWatch and now it’s coming off with the ravages of time. Got 11 on the back, pride of place signatures are Mitch Clark and Jack Trengove. It’s got about 50 signatures on it too.

It was the jumper I wore to every game until we won the flag.
I kept mine original and have never worn it as it is a real piece of history, shows what a mess the club was. Schwab thought he was the smartest person in Football but was a cancer at every club.

It's just amazing how poorly Melbourne was run under Gardnier/Stynes/McLardy. Got to thank the AFL for stepping in and putting in their people.

I lie actually, ive got a Hankook sponsor one , bought it specifically to get it signed by Brian Wilson (who my brother was working with at the time) and filthy drug cheat Shane Woewodin. Meant to get it framed but never did.
Somewhere gathering dust in my closet.

I lie actually, ive got a Hankook sponsor one , bought it specifically to get it signed by Brian Wilson (who my brother was working with at the time) and filthy drug cheat Shane Woewodin. Meant to get it framed but never did.
The Woewodin/Shane Carter link is the unspoken cloud hanging over Melbourne.

I got told in the 97 pre-season that Hird got done for PEDs and was going to have to miss the equivalent of a couple of years for getting caught doping. I watched what happened and then he had the mysterious foot issues that kept him out of the game sporadically until a miraculous recovery. The fact he played exactly 22 games over three 22-game seasons years pretty much confirms it. The AFL couldn't have their biggest star and reigning Brownlow medalist testing positive, but he had to serve a two-year ban.

Yeah, my brother in law was working at new balance at chadstone circa 2012. A lot of players would come in for sponsorship appearances. My brother inlaw became friends with Mark Jamar and gave him the white guernsey so the players could sign. A popular option as that video pointed out. Jamar found a spare at the club and got the boys to sign it and then gave them to my brother in law who then gave them both to me for my birthday. Anyway I never bothered getting it framed and it just sits there hanging up in my wardrobe, not sure if there is much pride in that 2012 team.

I haven't bought a new jumper in forever, i run around in an old one with the old 90's 00's logo at training sometimes. Some people call me Neitz when i wear that one which isn't a bad thing, although i got way more hair

I haven't bought a new jumper in forever, i run around in an old one with the old 90's 00's logo at training sometimes. Some people call me Neitz when i wear that one which isn't a bad thing, although i got way more hair
I've done the opposite and bought a bunch the last couple of years. Usually in the post season when you get at least 50% off previous years kit. Have a royal blue, long sleeve, indigenous all from the past 5 years or so, plus a few older ones from the 00's when I was a kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back