Who is the true goat in Tennis ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem is that the older you are, the harder it is to play defensive tennis, which is a cornerstone to Djokovic's game. Hit the mid-30s, he's not going to do those famous slide shots of his. His wall will start to have holes. Heck, even last year in Wimbledon a 37 year old Federer exposed that. That's why he's currently trying to make his serve into a better weapon. The question is: can he do it as reliably as Federer has in that age?
The mid-30s don't seem to be bothering Djokovic's defence at the moment Thrawn.

There’s absolutely no discussion. Djokovic is the GOAT and he has been for at least 5 years
He has been the best player by far since 2018 - but in my opinion that is the weakest era we have seen in tennis for a while. Won 10 grand slams in that time and if you take out the one win against Rafa at 2019 AO the rest have been against 9 players with a combined one GS at the time of the match (and it was Del Potro who won US Open 9 years earlier). Federer for me always had to play a younger Novak and Rafa and was still competing with them even when he was 37-38. Head to head only shifted Novak's way when Federer turned 36 and Federer has shown an ability to beat Novak at his peak (after his massive winning streak in 2011). Federer is still the GOAT for me. Would have Novak as a close 2nd with Rafa 3rd.

He has been the best player by far since 2018 - but in my opinion that is the weakest era we have seen in tennis for a while. Won 10 grand slams in that time and if you take out the one win against Rafa at 2019 AO the rest have been against 9 players with a combined one GS at the time of the match (and it was Del Potro who won US Open 9 years earlier). Federer for me always had to play a younger Novak and Rafa and was still competing with them even when he was 37-38. Head to head only shifted Novak's way when Federer turned 36 and Federer has shown an ability to beat Novak at his peak (after his massive winning streak in 2011). Federer is still the GOAT for me. Would have Novak as a close 2nd with Rafa 3rd.
I’d argue the start of Federer’s dominance was in an equally weak era. Federer won slams against the likes of Baghdatis, Philippousis, Gonzalez, Soderling, old Agassi etc

Djokovic’s run of slams from 2011-16 was against the amazing Nadal, Federer and Murray. Federer wasn’t winning slams during his peak against near the ability that these four were at. And his run since has been pure domination against every new generation of tennis players that promises to take over.

Novak at 35 is still better then these ‘Next Gen’ players. That’s how scary it is.
Stefanos can’t even touch Nadal nor Novak in the tail end of their careers.

Novak will get 25 majors, perhaps by Aus Open 2024, if he’s allowed in to US Open.
These European players are trash on grass- particularly Ruud. Novak probably won’t play French and save his legs for the grass season.

I’d argue the start of Federer’s dominance was in an equally weak era. Federer won slams against the likes of Baghdatis, Philippousis, Gonzalez, Soderling, old Agassi etc

Djokovic’s run of slams from 2011-16 was against the amazing Nadal, Federer and Murray. Federer wasn’t winning slams during his peak against near the ability that these four were at. And his run since has been pure domination against every new generation of tennis players that promises to take over.
Will always argue that Fedrer’s first 12 majors were just a walkthrough.
Dogs*** era after Agassi and Sampras retired.

This is such a subjective non-argument.
Novak won his first Grand Slam in 2008 and came to prominence in 2011.
By the time Novak was consistently competitive in 2011 Federer had won 16 of his 20 slams.
Even were you to wind it back to 2008 (being very generous to Federer), Federer had won 12 of his 20 slams before Djokovic won his first.
Further, Djokovic's winning percentage against top 10 players is much higher than Federer.

Finally, if you consider the players that Federer had to beat for his majors:
  • 2003 Wimbledon - Philippoussis (most of Philippoussis' form was before 2001, he won one Masters 1000 and was ranked no 8 in the world in 1999)
  • 2004 Australian Open - Safin (two major titles - 2005 Australian Open, 2000 US Open, 5 Masters 1000 titles, ranked no 1)
  • 2004 Wimbledon - Roddick
  • 2004 US Open - Hewett
  • 2005 Wimbledon - Roddick
  • 2005 US Open - Agassi (at Novak's age nonetheless, Agassi had won one title, not a Masters 1000, in the 12 months prior and no titles afterwards retiring in 2006)
  • 2006 Australian Open - Baghdatis (4 titles, none of them Masters 1000, only one other semi-final played at Majors, top rank - 8)
  • 2006 US Open - Roddick
  • 2007 Australian Open - González (11 titles, none of them Masters 1000, only one other semi-final played at Majors, top rank - 5)
  • 2009 French Open - Söderling (reached the French Open final twice, no other semi-finals, one Masters 1000 title, top rank - 4)
  • 2009 Wimbledon - Roddick
  • 2017 Wimbledon - Čilić
There are other Federer wins against legitimate opponents (i.e. 2006 Wimbledon v Nadal, 2007 Wimbledon v Nadal, 2008 US v Murray, and 2007 US v Djokovic) but all of these players were aged 21 or under during these matches. Federer hadn't even won a title at their ages.

Outside of these up-and-coming champs you've got servebots like Roddick, Söderling and Čilić all of which would be unlikely to hurt a player like Djokovic (despite Roddick's positive Head-to-Head), a last gasp from Agassi (and to a lesser extent Hewett), the iconic but somewhat inconsistent Philippoussis and historically average flash-in-the-pan players like González and Baghdatis.

Essentially Federer's best competitor at majors (outside of Nadal) during the period of 2004-2010 was Safin and even then Federer beat Safin four out of five times and Safin only won four titles from 2004 until his retirement (when Federer started dominating). Safin was a great player, for the record, but I certainly don't think many of the others Federer played are greater than a Zverev (5 Masters 1000, 2 ATP Finals and an Olympic Gold Medal), Medvedev (1 Major, 3 Masters 1000 and 1 ATP Final) or even a Tsitsipas (2 Masters 1000 and ATP Final) and youngster Alcaraz (1 major and 2 Masters 1000). All of these players I would place ahead of Söderling, González, Baghdatis, Čilić and even Philippoussis and a 35 year old Agassi (specifically due to his age). Roddick is debatable.
All in all, I don't think there is a compelling argument that the period when Federer won the majority of his titles (between 2004-2010) was inherently stronger than the last 3-4 years of tennis.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear that argument a lot but players like Roddick, Safin and Hewett were at least Grand Slam winners and world number 1s. Players that Novak is beating now haven't done that. And I'd also argue Djokovic never really beat Federer at his peak, largely due to the age difference of course, whilst Federer did beat a peak Djokovic. For instance in 2011 Federer ended Novak's 41-match winning streak. Even in 2019 when Federer was 37 he took Djokovic to 13-12 in a 5th and beat him at the ATP finals in that year. Their head 2 head also only favoured Novak when Fed had turned 36. It's always going to be hard to compare as they were never facing each other when both were at their peaks but I still believe a prime Federer is the best tennis I have seen and is the only player that could beat a peak Djokovic.

What about winning slams during Federer and Nadal's peak years?

What about winning slams during Federer and Nadal's peak years?
It is difficult because of the age difference but Federer was dominant Grand Slam wise between 2004-2010 at which time Djokovic had won one. For me that has to be classified as his "peak years". Djokovic started dominating 2011 when Federer was already 30. It would be so interesting to see who would come out on top if both played at their peak in some simulated match - I just think the aggressiveness of Fed combined with his variety of shots makes him the most complete player I have seen and would be the only player I'd put up against prime Novak.

Last edited:
It is difficult because of the age difference but Federer was dominant Grand Slam wise between 2004-2010 at which time Djokovic had won one. For me that has to be classified as his "peak years". Djokovic started dominating 2011 when Federer was 30.
But you're basically arguing that Djokovic had to be beating Federer consistently at 19-22 years of age, which is just a ridiculous expectation. Federer didn't win his first major until he was approximately 22 years of age.

But you're basically arguing that Djokovic had to be beating Federer consistently at 19-22 years of age, which is just a ridiculous expectation. Federer didn't win his first major until he was approximately 22 years of age.
No not at all I was just replying to the question about peak years. I've said multiple times there wasn't really a time when they played each other at their respective peaks so of course it is hard to compare. I just think Federer is the most complete tennis player and his peak was the best tennis I have seen. However, what Novak and Rafa have done has been ridiculous - I just don't think if he wins another five slams it makes much of a difference to the GOAT race because personally I don't see any of the current crop even close to them. Hopefully someone like Alcaraz can give them a run in the next few years to make it interesting. But at the moment Novak is the easy favourite at every slam he plays at.

Last edited:
It is difficult because of the age difference but Federer was dominant Grand Slam wise between 2004-2010 at which time Djokovic had won one. For me that has to be classified as his "peak years". Djokovic started dominating 2011 when Federer was already 30. It would be so interesting to see who would come out on top if both played at their peak in some simulated match - I just think the aggressiveness of Fed combined with his variety of shots makes him the most complete player I have seen and would be the only player I'd put up against prime Novak.
Djokervic and Nadal have winning records against Federer.

No not at all. I've said multiple times there wasn't really a time when they played each other at their respective peaks so of course it is hard to compare. I just think Federer is the most complete tennis player and his peak was the best tennis I have seen. However, what Novak and Rafa has done has been ridiculous - I just don't think if he wins another five slams it makes much of a difference to the GOAT race because personally I don't see any of the current crop even close to them. Hopefully someone like Alcaraz can give them a run in the next few years to make it interesting. But at the moment Novak is the easy favourite at every slam he plays at.
That's fine, but it's a completely subjective argument.
The peak tennis I've ever seen was Djokovic's 2015 when he won three majors (Australian, Wimbledon and US Open) six Masters 1000s and the ATP Tour Finals. He even made the final of the other major (losing to Wawrinka) and two other Masters 1000s. He also had 31 victories against players ranked in the top 10 during this season. IIRC Djokovic had the highest historical ranking of almost 17,000 sometime in mid 2016 due to his dominant 2015 season. By comparison there were long stretches when Federer was the no. 1 ranked player in the world with only 5,500 - 8,000 ranking points (between 2004 and 2008 for instance).
The next best peak I've seen was Djokovic in 2011 (he again had almost 15,000 ranking points at one stage in late 2011).
Nadal was also fantastic in 2009 with over 15,000 ranking points.
By comparison Federer's peak ranking was about 12,000.

Last edited:
That's fine, but it's a completely subjective argument.
The peak tennis I've ever seen was Djokovic's 2015 when he won three majors (Australian, Wimbledon and US Open) six Masters 1000s and the ATP Tour Finals. He even made the final of the other major (losing to Wawrinka) and two other Masters 1000s. IIRC Djokovic had the highest historical ranking of almost 17,000 sometime in mid 2016 due to his dominant 2015 season. By comparison there were long stretches when Federer was the no. 1 ranked player in the world with only 5,500 - 8,000 ranking points (between 2004 and 2008 for instance).
The next best peak I've seen was Djokovic in 2011 (he again had almost 15,000 ranking points at one stage in late 2011).
Nadal was also fantastic in 2009 with over 15,000 ranking points.
By comparison Federer's peak ranking was about 12,000.
I just found this on Wikipedia
"Prior to 2009, Federer accumulated the most year-end ATP ranking points in any season, with 8,370 points in 2006. Since the introduction of a new point scale for the ATP rankings from 2009, Djokovic achieved the same feat with 16,585 ranking points in 2015 season." - so that change in the point scale may have altered how the points were calculated. I doubt you would see such a significant difference otherwise considering Fed's run between 2004-2007 especially.

And of course it's a subjective argument from me - I can only go off what I've seen. I don't expect everyone to agree which is what makes sport great. Across every sport there are these debates (NBA - Jordan/Lebron for instance).

Last edited:
Djokervic and Nadal have winning records against Federer.
They do. With Djokovic specifically however, he only started leading once Federer turned 36. Like I said age difference makes the comparison hard as Fed had like a 13-6 lead before he was 30, and then Djokovic went 21-10 of their next lot of meetings when Fed was >30. I see Nadal as Federer's biggest rival and had his number for a long time. Federer surprisingly evened it up a bit in the last 5 or so years post 2017 Aus Open. I still see Djokovic as a better overall player than Nadal purely because he has been more dominant at 3/4 of the grand slams. Nadal on clay but is as close to unbeatable as you can get in sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back