Border Gavaskar Trophy, India v Australia, 1st Test 9-13 Feb, 1430hrs at Nagpur

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We've unearthed a player in Murphy. Couldn't have asked for a better debut. Boland has bowled well without reward. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end.
Just looks so much better than all the hacks we have had to gift baggy greens since Warne retired.

I thought the pitch was tailored made to get lefties batsmen out ? Wouldnt it been even worse on 2nd day ? Yet Patel and Jadeja made 50?
Inb4

Pitch was 'magically doctored' yesterday night to help left handers since Indians were batting today.

We've unearthed a player in Murphy. Couldn't have asked for a better debut. Boland has bowled well without reward. Unfortunately, that's where the positives end.
I thought Carey's keeping and input on reviews was pretty good. The catch he took from Kohli was excellent. Standing up to Boland took some guts.
And batted OK compared to the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon is way to defensive with his bowling. Just bowls the same ball over and over. He’s been great throughout the years but really he doesn’t have variation. Boland was handy with his line and length and economy rate but didn’t look threatening.

Cummins bounced back but looks to be exhausted first test in. Murphy was brilliant. We failed to use Marnus/Smith properly during the day.

We really missed the fifth bowling option. Head would have been handy with his offies. Also get smith out of slips. He’s been doing this regularly last few years.

Realistically, India will win this game batting once or chasing a pretty small 4th innings total. Best case scenario for Australia seems to be bowl India out with a 1st innings deficit of 160 which means Australia have to score 310 in its 2nd innings to set India a potentially awkward 4th innings chase of 150 and I wouldn't hold out much hope of that happening.

These two left handers have done pretty well even if they're batting against a tiring attack. Another test ton for Jadeja might be on the cards as Siraj is the only Indian player not on test debut with a poor test average which is understandable as he's listed as #11 on their batting order.

We do not place playing in India as a priority. We do not prepare in advance. CA seems happy to keep the status quo of dominating at home, hype the upcoming away tours, and accepting the inevitable fail with the odd win against the grain.
They don't get money from ticket sales or the channel 7 contract playing away, so unless the incentive framework changes that's how it'll stay.
Unless you want to send players to play in the Ranji Trophy like they used to in the County Championship we have little chance

I don't recall Smith dropping anything in the slips at home this past summer.

But in Pakistan last year he dropped quite a few and now a few today.

Might be the slower pace that the ball comes on in the subcontinent - might be getting "through" the catch too early

Back