Rules Interchange infringement wins Sydney the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly, surely the rules and process can be written/structured in such a way that a situation like this can be prevented.
They are , the teams are advised when there 10 , 5 and 1 interchange left.

in this case North was on 74 and did 2 changes at the same time so could not be advised they had reached 1 left.

I was surprised there was this much hand holding anyway to assist clubs .

here is a left side view - Should Sydney have kicked the ball away out of bounds in the name of spirit of the game. If this happenned at other times, people would have been falling over themselves in the name of "sportsmanship spirit"

Would have been even better if they kicked it way high to contest within the same area and then it is fair to both teams

I am told the 76th interchange was a injury forced one. Surely Sydney's leaders should have shown some sportsmanship or is that for another day when nothing much is on the line.
Why would we do that. There was a minute to go and the ball was about to be bounced in our goalsquare. Would have only been penalising ourselves.

They are , the teams are advised when there 10 , 5 and 1 interchange left.

in this case North was on 74 and did 2 changes at the same time so could not be advised they had reached 1 left.

I was surprised there was this much hand holding anyway to assist clubs .
So they were told they had one interchange left and then performed two interchanges?

That's bizarre.

Obviously the AFL were desperate for a Sydney win. That was absolute garbage and makes a joke of the game.
A rule is broken, the penalty under the rules is applied. You may not like either the rule or the penalty, but they exist and that's nothing to do with the AFL favouring a particular team.

I agree that it's not a great look in some respects, but if true that simply means that the rule itself needs looking at.

North must be the most unlucky club in the comp at the moment. Just when you think their run of bad luck is over, they cop another kick in the nuts.

Simply - the team that goes over 75 interchange should be a post game fine. Far too much grey in this rule and the implications as the punishment does in no way fit the crime.

This ruined a game of football today and is a complete blight on the game from a spectators point of view. Whilst the Roo's will be embarressed, it will equally embarress the League having such a questionable outcome to a rule that shouldn't be decided 'in game' but post.
What's grey about it?

So North are told they have one interchange left, but two come off at once - one because he is cramping, the other seemingly a regular interchange.

Am I missing something, but why didn't North interchange the cramping player and tell the other bloke to stay on the ground?

It's an absolutely horrendous way to lose but at the same time, it's a pretty easy mistake to avoid, and the cutoff has to be somewhere. It's not like this happens every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North were told when there was 10 and 5 interchanges left , nothing more they could have done.

Thery could not be advised of one left as they changed 2 players in the move that caused the infringement.

All those sooking about the AFL stupid rules , no the rule is good .
Dont shed tears coz North cant count , fundamental mistake by them .
Appropriate result.
If they interchanged two players and went one over the entire time between the previous interchange and the offending pair was time to warn the bench they only had one left. IE AS soon as the 74th interchange was made they should have been warned.

I think Shiels or Phillips just walks off tho.

Agree that it ruined the game. Most hollow I've felt after a win in a while.

But I'm not sure what else you can do? A fine isn't sufficient - rich clubs will take that penalty if it allows them to get an advantage on the field.

It definitely sucks though. Especially after the Swans already had a blessed run with the umps. Swans get a win we didn't deserve and which most likely just papers over the cracks, while North miss out on what would have been an inspiring win that would have dine them a world of good. Nobody wins. But there's not really any other way it could have been resolved once North made the error.
The ump could have not paid the soft free against Goldy with 20 seconds to go, one of many let go during the game. At the time Simpkin was running thru the centre with no Swans players for miles. Very good chance we could have goaled and won despite our * up, if not for one more shitful decision that helped the Swans.

Don't understand why the clubs are in charge of this. As someone said earlier, just stop them making interchanges when they hit the limit.
It's literally someone's job at each club, not hard to count to 75 and stop anyone coming off/going on

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

If they interchanged two players and went one over the entire time between the previous interchange and the offending pair was time to warn the bench they only had one left. IE AS soon as the 74th interchange was made they should have been warned.

I think Shiels or Phillips just walks off tho.
2 players came off at the same time.
it is up to the clubs to manage this, they are advised by AFL staff where they are at in terms of number of changes.

Club were told 3 times that their interchange’s were about to finish.

it is purely a club mistake , staff on the boundary line should have been screaming at one of the players to stay on.

The ump could have not paid the soft free against Goldy with 20 seconds to go, one of many let go during the game. At the time Simpkin was running thru the centre with no Swans players for miles. Very good chance we could have goaled and won despite our * up, if not for one more shitful decision that helped the Swans.
Watch the replay, was a clear ruck infringement, and very lucky to have even been a ball up after McDonald was not penalised for HTB after taking 4 steps before running into Franklin.

2 players came off at the same time.
it is up to the clubs to manage this, they are advised by AFL staff where they are at in terms of number of changes.

Club were told 3 times that their interchange’s were about to finish.

it is purely a club mistake , staff on the boundary line should have been screaming at one of the players to stay on.
Yeah, someone should have kept one of those players onfield or stopped Powell going on.

Didn't cost us the game tho. The sketchy free 30 seconds later did that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back