Toast NMFC members voicing their displeasure at umpiring - great job members wing!

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope the club doesn’t have a go at the fans over this. Some bullshit like “at North we have fantastic and passionate fans” blah blah blah. No need to mention the rubbish. Defend us don’t bag us. Do not let the umpires get away with the s**t we copped today. Send a message to the corrupt and useless AFL. I personally enjoyed it. Good letting off a bit of steam.

Love the passion. They were lucky no one jumped the fence.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I said this very thing at the game.

All it takes is a group and then they’re ****ed.

There aren’t enough security/police to deal with more than 40-50 genuinely pissed off invaders.

Just look what happened when Franklin kicked 1000. Took them a week to clear the ground.

Now imagine that was a group of pissed off fans….

Gotta understand that at the game, all you saw was the umpire stop play, listen into his earpiece and give Sydney a free goal to put them in front in the dying stages. I can say with near certainty not a soul in the stands would've considered "too many interchanges" as the reason. It was only a few minutes afterwards that word started filtering around.

Between the rubbish thrown onto the field (not great for the poor old ground staff to clean up I'll admit) and the Sydney song being drowned out by the chorus of boos for the umps as they left the ground, not to mention the noise for Powell and Souv's goals in the last, the passion is still very much there amongst the fanbase, it's just that the team hasn't given us a great deal to be so passionate about these last 3 years especially.

That game was atrociously officiated, and the members wing let the umpires know it all game.
It culminated in extreme displeasure being demonstrated at the final siren by members throwing rubbish on to the playing surface.
Remarkably, I think that is a positive thing. Hear me out;

For too long the standard of umpring has been in the toilet, and the entire sport is suffering because of it.
And as fans, we have no recourse other than yelling, boos, and voting with our wallet (that hurts our club before it hurts the league itself).

But today at the end of the game, in scenes I've not seen in modern footy, the members wing started throwing all their rubbish on to the playing surface. And it felt righteous and justified.

I'm proud of my fellow members tonight. No more meekly accepting the fisting we regularly get from the umpires. Tonight set a new standard of fan remonstration.

Disagree. We’re not toddlers. At least, I hope not. We didn’t get the rub of the green, I agree. However, the venting at the end was due to the unusual decision at the end - which was 100% correct. Coming out of the ground, loads of people still didn’t know what had occurred. It was just plain bad luck. Shiels got cramp and left the field unexpectedly. Footy gods. What ya gonna do. On the day, I think we deserved a few more holding the ball decisions. Wardlaw was particularly unlucky. However, it’s been proven time and time again that the umpires do OK by us - overall. Case in point. My mate constantly rubbishes the umpires week in week out - like you here, C. This season, he’s gotten a gig commentating in the VFL. Suddenly, he’s being unbiased and, listening to him, he always seems in synch with the umpires. That’s the unfortunate truth of it. There is no conspiracy, hard as it is to accept. At the game, I’ll admit, I was apoplectic at times with them. Still am, if I’m honest. However, if we’re going to start advocating hooliganism, we’re hopeless cases. As Sonja tweeted “Dear footy gods. I have enough character. Thank you. Sonja”. Any chance we could emulate her instead of hooligans? Who am I kidding. 🤣 Maybe, on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Disagree. We’re not toddlers. At least, I hope not. We didn’t get the rub of the green, I agree. However, the venting at the end was due to the unusual decision at the end - which was 100% correct. Coming out of the ground, loads of people still didn’t know what had occurred. It was just plain bad luck. Shiels got cramp and left the field unexpectedly. Footy gods. What ya gonna do. On the day, I think we deserved a few more holding the ball decisions. Wardlaw was particularly unlucky. However, it’s been proven time and time again that the umpires do OK by us - overall. Case in point. My mate constantly rubbishes the umpires week in week out - like you here, C. This season, he’s gotten a gig commentating in the VFL. Suddenly, he’s being unbiased and, listening to him, he always seems in synch with the umpires. That’s the unfortunate truth of it. There is no conspiracy, hard as it is to accept. At the game, I’ll admit, I was apoplectic at times with them. Still am, if I’m honest. However, if we’re going to start advocating hooliganism, we’re hopeless cases. As Sonja tweeted “Dear footy gods. I have enough character. Thank you. Sonja”. Any chance we could emulate her instead of hooligans? Who am I kidding. Maybe, on Tuesday.

The free against us for our own medical staff leaving the ground. In all seriouslyness..

Disagree. We’re not toddlers. At least, I hope not. We didn’t get the rub of the green, I agree. However, the venting at the end was due to the unusual decision at the end - which was 100% correct. Coming out of the ground, loads of people still didn’t know what had occurred. It was just plain bad luck. Shiels got cramp and left the field unexpectedly. Footy gods. What ya gonna do. On the day, I think we deserved a few more holding the ball decisions. Wardlaw was particularly unlucky. However, it’s been proven time and time again that the umpires do OK by us - overall. Case in point. My mate constantly rubbishes the umpires week in week out - like you here, C. This season, he’s gotten a gig commentating in the VFL. Suddenly, he’s being unbiased and, listening to him, he always seems in synch with the umpires. That’s the unfortunate truth of it. There is no conspiracy, hard as it is to accept. At the game, I’ll admit, I was apoplectic at times with them. Still am, if I’m honest. However, if we’re going to start advocating hooliganism, we’re hopeless cases. As Sonja tweeted “Dear footy gods. I have enough character. Thank you. Sonja”. Any chance we could emulate her instead of hooligans? Who am I kidding. 🤣 Maybe, on Tuesday.

Doesn't have to be a conspiracy, they were terrible all day and it cost us the game. They were terrible one way. They let things go, obvious throws and HTB were play on that gave Sydney goals and denied them to us. It wasn't just every 50/50 call going the Swans way, they stole one from Paul Curtis for the crime of engaging in a marking contest, the absolute balls up where Wardlaw was hit high, a trainer came to check on him then they paid a free because he didn't get off the ground correctly. It's that, combined with the fact that our guys showed serious fight and would've won if it'd been officiated fairly. That final call was just the moment where the game went from "the umpiring was against us but we won anyway" to "the umpiring was so extraordinarily one-sided that we lost a game we should've won" and the booing and rubbish was the result.

What was interesting is seeing the number of items thrown on the field that clearly weren't purchased inside the stadium.
I hope Zondor didn’t have a Tender Touch gift bag with him..

The free against us for our own medical staff leaving the ground. In all seriouslyness..

I didn’t notice that. I’d be interested to hear what the rule is there and why exactly it was given. We do seem to come up with novel ways to get penalised. My point is, throwing rubbish on the ground is just plain ridiculous. How could any rational person applaud that?

I didn’t notice that. I’d be interested to hear what the rule is there and why exactly it was given. We do seem to come up with novel ways to get penalised. My point is, throwing rubbish on the ground is just plain ridiculous. How could any rational person applaud that?

OP nailed it.

Doesn't have to be a conspiracy, they were terrible all day and it cost us the game. They were terrible one way. They let things go, obvious throws and HTB were play on that gave Sydney goals and denied them to us. It wasn't just every 50/50 call going the Swans way, they stole one from Paul Curtis for the crime of engaging in a marking contest, the absolute balls up where Wardlaw was hit high, a trainer came to check on him then they paid a free because he didn't get off the ground correctly. It's that, combined with the fact that our guys showed serious fight and would've won if it'd been officiated fairly. That final call was just the moment where the game went from "the umpiring was against us but we won anyway" to "the umpiring was so extraordinarily one-sided that we lost a game we should've won" and the booing and rubbish was the result.

I’m not saying I don’t understand why we’d be upset. In the heat of the moment, people can lose the run of themselves. I once broke a seat at the MCG out of frustration, after we inexplicably lost to Collingwood. I am saying that, after the fact, I totally disagree and abhor the very notion of being proud of our supporters for throwing crap on the ground. I’m proud of Wardlaw and Sheezel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rubbish on the ground is a great alternative to what could have happened in that situation

I agree, we were robbed on the day. However, the performance of our young guys really lessens the pain for me. We got the performance, not the points. On the plus side, it could ensure we get a higher pick at the end of the year. Cold comfort right now, I know. However 4/5 out of bounds from very kickable positions proves we were complicit in our own loss.

Rubbish on the ground is a great alternative to what could have happened in that situation

It’s beyond me how anyone could be critical of our supporters. They should be commended for only throwing rubbish on the the field. You contrive a result like those campaigners did, you cop whatever comes your way.

It’s beyond me how anyone could be critical of our supporters. They should be commended for only throwing rubbish on the the field. You contrive a result like those campaigners did, you cop whatever comes your way.

🤣I’ll just have to be beyond you, I suppose. Oh well. I’ll go with Sonja on this. She’d be beyond as well, I expect. Although, who knows, maybe she’ll front up on Monday and declare how proud she is of our supporters thrashing Marvel.

🤣I’ll just have to be beyond you, I suppose. Oh well. I’ll go with Sonja on this. She’d be beyond as well, I expect. Although, who knows, maybe she’ll front up on Monday and declare how proud she is of our supporters thrashing Marvel.

Piss off.

North Melbourne’s own Gerard Whately.

Last edited:
We have been smashed from pillar to post for far too long now. The way we were crucified all game by the umps and the free to them to kick the winner.. salt in the ******* wound! A bit of rubbish thrown on the ground in the end because of sheer anger and frustration.. I loved the passion!
The AFL are campaigners! * them and the other 17 teams. Go Roos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back