Traded Lachie Schultz [Traded to Collingwood for #34 and F1]

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood are an aging list so you never really know. Right now they have 9 players over 30 and Geelong hit an age wall this year, so it might happen to Collingwood. I don't think it will, but it might.
This is my concern with us giving up a F1. Even finishing 6th-7th ends up being an overs deal, let alone including 33. I thought our first this year and 33 was fair.

Time will tell.

Who says we don't value Schultz?

It's a false narrative

If you're just parroting the rookie list crap, he was on the rookie list 2 out of 5 years at the club

How many years was mihocek on your rookie list? Do you value him?
what? Schultz was still kept on the rookie list when he was contracted in 2021. That’s is from your own website. Yes he selflessly agreed to stay on it, but I couldn’t imagine it was much of a contract compared to a spot on the senior list.

what? Schultz was still kept on the rookie list when he was contracted in 2021. That’s is from your own website. Yes he selflessly agreed to stay on it, but I couldn’t imagine it was much of a contract compared to a spot on the senior list.
Yeah mate, those were the only 2 years he was on the rookie list

His first 2 years were on the main list (when you are taken in the national draft you go on the main list)

His contract was fine, hawks chased him and pushed his price up

Rookie lists are an accounting exercise for clubs nowadays, you can be on a million dollars on a rookie list, it's hard for being to wrap their head around but it's true

So yes, he was on the rookie list but he was on that list for less time than mihocek was (or equal if he was also 2 years) but even though he was on the rookie list, doesn't mean he was on chips, he had a deal that was raised when hawthorn chased him

So this treated poorly narrative is complete bullshit but people don't want to look into things, they love a headline

Edit: and just addressing that article directly, we moved him up from the rookie list a year early, he was not on the rookie list in 2023, go ahead and check

Lmao you make it sound like freo has the oldest list in the comp and need a complete rebuild.....we have one of the youngest lists fyi

I meant stop not start

F1 alone (especially 15-18) wouldn't have been enough, but adding 34 makes it a win/win.

Lachie is a gun!

Good deal for both.

Collingwood pay a lot for him but it's the right price to pay. Clearly they'll fancy themselves to go back to back and he slots straight into that forward line and makes it better.

He's a really good footballer. I think he'll prove his worth to the Pies very quickly, as he did for the Dockers.

Fremantle have done well in a s**t situation. They'll really miss Schultz, he's been an important player for them over the past few years. They'll be death-riding the Pies now but regardless of where they finish up its a first round pick and first round picks always have value.

Freo have a strong hand next year and presumably a fair bit of cap space given who they've lost over the past few years. Really interested to see what they do - Logan McDonald is an obvious target, and they've now got the trade capital to get the ball rolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already hearing from reliable sources that the player Freo draft with Collingwood’s pick next year is preparing to request a trade.
Well who ever we trade them to will probably get fleeced like we did to the bulldogs over lobb😃

This is my concern with us giving up a F1. Even finishing 6th-7th ends up being an overs deal, let alone including 33. I thought our first this year and 33 was fair.

Time will tell.
Definitely a bit of risk being a Future 1st given the average age of the grand final side was pushing 28.

A few older key player injuries that become retirements like what happened to West Coast and it can fall away pretty quickly.

Still, you gotta strike whilst in the premiership window.

Not saying it will happen but if Pendlebury, Sidebottom and Mitchell all get a bit worse due to age then that might be enough to cause problems at Collingwood. The first two are practically pensioners and Mitchell just feels like a player who will be completely cactus before 33. I could be wrong though.
I reckon Mitchell is actually a candidate to improve next season as he has a year under his belt in the new game plan. Pendles almost certainly will regress, Howe regress, Sidebottom probably stay the same imo.

Dont think its always linked purely to being over 30, for example I would say Josh Daicos is a candidate to regress having potentially peaked this season. Then there are players like Hill, McCreery, Quaynor etc that you'd expect to keep improving

Last edited:
Oh don't get me wrong, Freo have problems with that, but it still seems too easy for the big clubs (popular clubs) to lure players and makes the list building of the less popular teams a constant battle. Then AFL house throw picks at North and weaken the draft hands of the clubs as well

The big clubs lose players as well. Every team gets poached especially if the environment is not right and players want out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back