Player Watch Pick #49 (2020) - Ollie Lord

Remove this Banner Ad

Charlie will now be able to stir up the Norwood supporters full time - Lord will obviously be first choice full forward one would think?

Didn’t he only sign the extension to 2024 during last season? I wonder if he is seeing more game in the near future.

Great signing, but will be interesting to see how Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit into 1 forward line….

1 ruck territory I suspect.
Dixon to the SANFL. It's a non-contract Ken year, so why waste a year of development of our future forward line, to keep one of the biggest 'White noise' mob playing?

Didn’t he only sign the extension to 2024 during last season? I wonder if he is seeing more game in the near future.

Great signing, but will be interesting to see how Marshall, Dixon, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit into 1 forward line….

1 ruck territory I suspect.
It will definitely be interesting to see how Marshall, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit in to 1 forward line

It will definitely be interesting to see how Marshall, Finlayson, Georgiades and Lord fit in to 1 forward line

Marshall & Lord are definitely forward 50 players only. Finlayson & Georgiades are more flexible and can play forward or defense when the need arises. Lord & Finlayson could also pinch hit in the ruck where required. But all 4 players cant all play forward all at once.

It's been a while since Georgiades did anything that suggests he's a walk up starter in the 22. Dixon is old and injury prone. Finlayson didn't even get picked for the semi final. Lord has only played a dozen or so games.

It's a big group of players and a lot to work with but all of them have question marks of some sort, with the exception of Marshall who is probably inked into the line up at this point.

As one of my final buddy acts I wanted to say well done and well deserved.

Also to congratulate myself on my buddy efforts to get him to this stage where most of you can see what I have for a while.

I yearn for a game plan that plays to his strengths. Stop dragging him to decoy spots and then making him compete from the side or back and bring to ground.

He is a bull with massive shoulders and some nous. Use it.

Ollie Lord :praying: Press Conference

"I was never really going to leave" ⚡:pear:

Interesting Points
- excited about the contract extension, very happy to extend

- question: why sign now - "Im pretty simple person just want to play footy" "I just wanted to be locked away for good, why wouldn't you?"

- regarding possible move to Geelong in the Esava trade: "it was flattering that another club threw my name in discussion, there wasn't a whole lot of thought to be honest and it didn't move past that kind of original discussion and i was always keen to stay here and sign on and I was lucky it was longer term than just a 12 month deal"

- wants to play four quarters consistently, mentions his strengths are aerial, competitiveness and strength in the contest

- see's himself as a replacement for Dixon in the future

- regarding his grandfather (Alastair Lord former Geelong champion & Brownlow medalist) : "he loves Port, he loves the club and also loves Adelaide" he's a great mentor and has a good relationship with him

Keeping the players we want is one thing this footy club consistently does incredibly well. Offield opportunities shit compared to about half the clubs in the league, off broadway games, below average onfield and every year we re-sign the locals and the interstaters.
Imagine what we could be without leaders like Ken and Koch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not entirely sold on Ollie yet

I've been in his corner for quite a while and reckon he's going to go from strength to strength.

In his presser when he said that late last season he realised that he could mix it with the best that's really encouraging.

The sooner we move on from Dixon with his broken body and 2cents jibe at supporters the better.

I am not entirely sold on Ollie yet. Good that he has re signed but he needs to do a bit more and more often.
He isn't the complete package yet but he's definitely shown enough for me to think he needs an extended run of games to see what he can develop in to. For a 21 year old he's shown plenty of good qualities.

I am not entirely sold on Ollie yet. Good that he has re signed but he needs to do a bit more and more often.
Yes I agree, I am usually conservative with how I see players but I need to see more.

Like he himself said, he has to do it over 4 quarters.

Like him though. He has that big forward aggressive and give offs and nous that I like. Team player.

If he works out, we will really have something and with this new contract, Ollie will know he has the confidence of the coaching staff to really apply himself.

Remember too that this season Ollie had a lacerated kidney in a pre-season training clash which caused him to lose 10kg in a month. He only resumed full contact training in March.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back