Player Watch Nick Daicos - Can he be the GOAT?

Can Nick Daicos be the AFL's GOAT

• Yes

Votes: 121 27.6%
  • No

Votes: 318 72.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Only a twit would try to turn the best ball-user in history into a dour inside bull
No doubt the unpredictable way you guys fwd transition helped to get the Granny and makes sense you where able to do it because of his creativity passing.
But when it has been predicted and his teammates can’t make the option for the pass…it doesn’t matter.

“The best ball user in history” and the future GOAT.
It’s because the passes where completed because the receiver made the effort with a chaos fwd transition game.

You guys just don’t kick enough goals and the oppo is averaging 15 goals against you.

He’s had 17 changers this year and kicked two goals.

What’s he going to be the GOAT of?

At the moment, he's lean and as fit as he'll probably ever be but he really needs to bulk up at the expense of losing some endurance.

You have to remember, a player of similar size and stature (Ablett Jnr), was listed at 182cm/81kg by his third year of footy. After five seasons, he was thrown into the midfield on a full time basis and had the body and experience to handle that role.

Oh the irony of complaining about people posting in this thread when they themselves are the highest contributing poster by some margin.

For reference, the next highest is 177….

View attachment 1935401

I hear Callum Twomey is writing a feature ranking Fadge's 523 posts in this thread.

Given the all seeing all knowing Oracle known simply as Kane (the Cornes variety for the ignorant, not the Laura variety) has publicly signed off on Nick, we should all back off…

“Nick Daicos was timid last night. I know that’s a criticism he probably hasn’t copped much through 50 games ….”

Old Men Laughing GIF by ABC Network

Which will include the OP author
Collingwood supporter talking up a prodigal talent for Collingwood?

Stop the press!

Just because a few of you guys have an issue with the poster himself, doesn’t make the topic anymore troll-worthy.

All jokes aside, anyone that doesn’t think Nick Daicos is probably the most exciting young player in the competition needs to open the other eye.

It’s a hardly controversial thread - some people are trying so hard to make it one.

The kid is an absolute freak.

Stop the press!

Just because a few of you guys have an issue with the poster himself, doesn’t make the topic anymore troll-worthy.

All jokes aside, anyone that doesn’t think Nick Daicos is probably the most exciting young player in the competition needs to open the other eye.

It’s a hardly controversial thread - some people are trying so hard to make it one.

Not creating a thread on the main board talking up your own player is a bigfooty 101 rule.

Stop the press!

He's a good player, but the other Daicos was better last night.

Nick had many opportunities last night to be great and he pulled out of most of them.

Put a line through him for the Brownlow. Hasnt polled yet.

Needs to go back to half back where its a bit easier for him to get hand on footy.

I would bet he is on at least 2 votes so far. Possibly 3.

The umpires follow the hype. And only look at stats not actual performance and impact.

Gee last night was about as soft a game I’ve seen from anyone, absolute soft as butter.
Things that stood out, the obvious one being not going in for the hard ball, anytime there was a contested ball to be had, he’d stick his twig arms out and try and grab it, had no interest whatsoever in his body being touched. It was starting to get embarrassing.
Secondly, the obsession with having a possession when not needed. A couple of times near the boundary he’d rather handball to a contest than just take it over for a throw in.
Thirdly, all he wants is either an easy handball out the back, or an easy handball over the top, not interested in making a shepherd for someone else, just wants a simple stat so he can go home with 45 meaningless touches.
Has no chance of being a midfielder if he can’t and doesn’t want to, win a hard ball.

That's exactly it. It's one thing for a player to occasionally opt out of a pack when a collision is about to happen and collect the ball afterwards - I reckon every midfielder does that every now and again. This guy avoids every single speck of physical contact, and flops whenever he's breathed on. Add to that Collingwood supporters plus a very large chunk of the footy media relentlessly telling us how amazing and incredible he is, and I think a lot of footy fans are finally saying.........

BULLLLLLLLLLSHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

He's not even the best young midfielder in the comp. Windhager - at 20 years old and in his 39th game - absolutely smashed him.

I reckon the stat padding is another modern thing. Don't forget all players are on bonuses, incentives, and everything else. If more meaningless touches mean more Best and Fairest votes (or media awards) = more money. They don't play for anything else.

Last edited:

The umpires follow the hype. And only look at stats not actual performance and impact.

Not a chance.

Would be on Zero.

GWS Game - 3 - Whitfield, 2 - Brown, 1 - Green/Kelly
Sydney game - 3 - Heeney, 2 - Warner, 1 - Gulden
St.Kilda game - 3 - NWM, 2 - Steele. 1 - Higgins

Only slight chance is the Swans game, but they were comfortably beaten

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question, and I dont know the answer. Is he the type you build a team around or the cherry on top?

Rowell for example, you build a team around him all day. They are incredibly different players, but it does take all types.

FWIW - I have been vocal in this thread that N Daicos is a super talent and one of the best ive seen at his age, so not canning him by any means.

And now we're up to 150 posts from about 70 different posters in just under 10 hours since the game ended.

All because a kid who has just turned 21 wasn't his team's best player for the first time this season.

For comparison, the Martin GOAT thread might have had one or two comments after an average performance.

Seems the Daicos Effect has a dual meaning. In addition to Jonno Brown's trademarked 'Prodigious talent who immediately brings success to his team....', we are also seeing 'A prodigious talent who is the tallest of tall poppies in his third year in the system, who brings thousands of people flooding to social media to critique his game in the event he's not his team's best player on the day and/or his team loses on the day'.

He really is getting into your heads, and that is the Collingwood way - he'll revel in it for the next dozen years of his career.
Cue the typical response from you; ‘he is living rent free, he has just turned 21, people are obsessed based on posting numbers etc’

No. People are replying to a thread where you’ve said he could be the GOAT. Pony up and admit a few of these observations have merit.

Stop the press!

I don't have an issue with the poster at all, I and many others are well aware of the modus operandi

And each viable player mentioned as a comparable or better version is met with contradictory facts

Nicki is an incredibly talented kid, but he isn't the best 50 game player ever to grace the game, nor do I and many others believe his traits warrant future GOAT status

Perhaps a few Pie supporters should quell their lofty expectations and just enjoy Nicki's development

Is that why Neale got 1 vote for 22 possessions and 7 clearances last year in the same game Daicos had 38 possessions (game high contested), 2 goals and 5 clearances?

Do you have any particular examples that umpires vote on stats alone?

I don't have an issue with the poster at all, I and many others are well aware of the modus operandi

And each viable player mentioned as a comparable or better version is met with contradictory facts

Nicki is an incredibly talented kid, but he isn't the best 50 game player ever to grace the game, nor do I and many others believe his traits warrant future GOAT status

Perhaps a few Pie supporters should quell their lofty expectations and just enjoy Nicki's development
That’s a fair opinion to have. Whilst I mightn’t agree with all that you’ve said, I can respect your point of view.

I also don’t reckon it’s such a big deal, or even relevant to you or anyone else, what expectations Collingwood supporters want to have on their own players. All whilst already enjoying Nick’s development either way.

Again, just smells like tall poppy to me. Is it really such a big deal for someone to think he’ll be a GOAT? Reaction to it seems like abit of an overreaction.

Back