List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I have a feeling Sam Taylor will resign at the Giants, if that's the case then the club should go after Perryman or Cumming as Spooky mentioned. However the club should have more than enough cap space to offer Taylor a massive deal and if he's after money then we should be front runners plus moving home is another appeal. Hence we should NOT be putting our eggs in one basket especially if Taylor resigns with the Giants

Big contracts off the books will be Darling who we could push into retirement considering how cooked he looks provided he doesn't improve for most of the year, Gov could be pushed into retirement or FA if he wants to play more should it be clear that Taylor wants to come to us and Gaff will likely retire if we are serious at a rebuild. Yeo, Cripps would have to take significant pay cuts since they're past their peaks although important to the rebuild.

The other consideration would be to also extend our draftees to bigger contracts especially Reid, Ginbey, Hewitt, Hall, Burgiel (if he can show something). The club should NOT go after English who despite being an upgrade on B.Williams imo but he would cost a lot more in terms of cap space which isn't ideal should Taylor want to come to us and us wanting to extend our draftees to bigger contracts plus we already have Flynn who's serviceable at best if he can stay on the park.

If Taylor does resign with the Giants then I think we could turn A.Reid into a key defender who replaces Gov (I don't think H.Edwards will make it but who knows?) I remember WCE_phil mentioning that he maybe better off as a KPD who replaces Gov. Bazzo maybe become depth if this happens. Plus well have a monstrous war chest to extend the draftees to high contracts or potentially get another FA here who's interested to come to Perth and play for us. However, A.Reid as a KPD could only work if J.Williams makes it and Maric and Waterman also becomes good third tall types to help support Allen.

Should the team get English, BBW would be pushed out for sure to either Melbourne or Geelong. A first rounder for us would be fantasy land and even a second rounder in the late 20s is borderline unrealistic. A late 30s or early 40s pick is what we'll realistically get for him but that doesn't mean we can try to make them pay a first rounder or a late 20s pick. English seems happy to remain in Vic though since his partner is also based there now for netball.

I would like to see A.Reid in his natural position to start. Chase Busslinger in the off-season, if things don't work out with A.Reid up forward then try him down back.

Last edited:

The Walter stuff is a pipe dream at the moment, but that shouldn’t stop us from trying our guts out.

He’d be a perfect partner for Oscar, grew up a crazy Eagles supporter, and is wearing 17, in what I presume to be because it’s Kennedy’s number.
That is pretty incredible to hear.
Would be a pretty big coincidence otherwise.

100%

I don't think he can replicate his junior game at AFL level. Small frame and is a January birthday who has already finished school and is 100% focussed on footy.

I can understand people's desire for him and his good form at lower levels but himself and to a lesser extent draper I see as sliders and or limited upside.

Really need Smillie to show some real aggression (and to stop growing) or O'Sullivan to start racking it up 30 times a game as they have much higher ceilings imo.

Who was that first rounder for Geelong with a pretty cool name?

Ended up being traded to Carlton cheap and still didnt make much impact. He was quick and had big raps, Jagga reminds me of him a bit.

Billie Smedts.....that him. Getting similar vibes with Jagga.

Not knowing yet what teams will have to offer for pick 1, my initial thought is that WC are unlikely to receive an attractive enough offer for pick 1.

Think of the offers you did recieve for pick 1 last year, and you are more than likely going to receive lesser offers this year.
Of course, there isn't a Reid in this draft. Doesn't mean there won't be good offers for pick 1 or 2 though

Who was that first rounder for Geelong with a pretty cool name?

Ended up being traded to Carlton cheap and still didnt make much impact. He was quick and had big raps, Jagga reminds me of him a bit.

Billie Smedts.....that him. Getting similar vibes with Jagga.
Of course, there isn't a Reid in this draft. Doesn't mean there won't be good offers for pick 1 or 2 though
TBH I really hope 1 or 2 players put daylight between themselves and the rest. Would make the first couple of picks far more valuable in a trade (if we have one of them). It’s not going to be Harley daylight though.

Next year is the lynch pin year.

McGovern, Yeo, Kelly, Cripps all likely to be their last year or close to it.

Next year needs to be the year the kids really take control and get given the keys. The kids need to start being amongst best half a dozen players every week by 2nd half of next year.

If we haven’t started to see that, than 2026 could be really ugly with the exodus of club greats/older players.

McGovern and Cripps maybe.

Yeo and Kelly are 2 to 3 years younger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice to have a season where we can hope for a few wins without missing out on a clear standout player like last year.

Wasn't a nice feeling 'wanting' to win whilst knowing it wasn't in the club's best interests...
I dunno, that North win vs GC was really important for a winning culture as you can see from their great start to the year....

I dunno, that North win vs GC was really important for a winning culture as you can see from their great start to the year....

Its a sad morbid place the North board ATM.

A mate from highschool been a Roos fan forever. Always been positive, this is the year......we will make finals this year etc.

Spoke this week and even he has lost his mojo with them. Saying if they cant improve they should give up and let Tassie take over, thats how hard its getting to support them.

Was a tad sad TBH.

McGovern and Cripps maybe.

Yeo and Kelly are 2 to 3 years younger.

McGovern, Cripps, Gaff and Darling all turn 32 this year

Yeo will be 31 and Kelly turns 30

Hunt and Sheed have both just turned 29. Barrass will join them later this year

Both Gaff and Yeo are out of contract this year. The rest, besides Barrass (2027) are out of contract next year

Its a sad morbid place the North board ATM.

A mate from highschool been a Roos fan forever. Always been positive, this is the year......we will make finals this year etc.

Spoke this week and even he has lost his mojo with them. Saying if they cant improve they should give up and let Tassie take over, thats how hard its getting to support them.

Was a tad sad TBH.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/is-this-rock-bottom.1309258/page-50

This is the worst one **** me, everything from blaming a low home crowd on a concurrent flower show to posters saying fold the club, but meaning it.

Both Gaff and Yeo are out of contract this year. The rest, besides Barrass (2027) are out of contract next year

Ok was a year out.

We shouldnt lose all five in the same year though.

Gaff this year.

Darling possibly this year likely next year.

McGovern and Cripps in two end of 2026.

Yeo in 2027.

But they could all finish 1 year less than that.

Ok was a year out.

We shouldnt lose all five in the same year though.

Gaff this year.

Darling possibly this year likely next year.

McGovern and Cripps in two end of 2026.

Yeo in 2027.

But they could all finish 1 year less than that.
2 year transition for sure

2024: Edwards x 2, Rotham, Gaff, Jones, Witho
2025: JD, Cripps, Jamo, Gov*, Waterman*, Petch*

*On notice. If Gov keeps this up he’ll get rolling 1 year deals.

But in three years, they’ll all be three years older.

[/sammcclureposting]

We need everything.

Bailey is worth more to us and Melbourne than a Bulldogs list with too many quality talls.

Supply v demand differs between teams is what we agree on.

content warning - source is Sam McClure

Most recent tradies podcast is saying we’ve flagged our interest in Taylor, but it’s highly unlikely he leaves GWS.

Contract is looking to be even bigger than the one we gave Gov.

It makes sense when you think we are 5 years on from that deal and cap increases, but 1.2 million+ always seemed crazy for a KPD. And that’s not even with the tax to prise him out from another club on top.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Im keen

Good age
Good character
Captain material

Caro on Footy Classified tonight to Sam McClure
"You clearly got bad information Sam re Harley not wanting to go to WCE and saying he'd refuse to go"
"The tug of the jumper is a clear sign he will stay"
"You said Sam that the Eagles wouldn't be able to keep him". Sam "I didn't say that". Caro" Yes, you did". Errrrr, Sam, I think you did buddy. What a douche.

Ups to Caro.
Both are oxygen thieves, who actually believes anything they say?

Season 2027 I see a completely new team. Majority of the club should be on notice but the easy targets will be first.

Come at the end of the season 24; Gaff must not be offered a new contract extension. Darling on current form will be paid out and let go, he just seems past it at the moment. I was hoping he would have another season but it is looking quite bleak.

McGovern (32) could go around and play out to his contract. I don't think he should be offered +1, and will mark his exit in 2025. Great player and hope the guys take in every minute while he is still playing.

Cripps (32) can play until 2026 and should be on a rolling contract +1 until he shows signs of slowing down. For me seriously underrated and still clutch.

Yeo (31) I am not confident in his body, he has been in and out consistently for the last three seasons but I hope that all changes and will follow Cripps and stay fit, big IF.

Kelly (30) and Hunt (29) show no signs of slowing down, but they should be given only two years and reassessed in 2026.

I see no respite for Sheed (29) his body seems to be failing him and already he should be on the fringes and I would be on the side of extending in contract beyond 2025.

+ Witherden, Cole, Ledwards, Rotham, Trew, Dewar, Baker, Jones and Hedwards

Remove this Banner Ad

Back