List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
I noticed Cal also said Sydney were willing to pay 2 firsts for Barrass last year as well

Not worth trading Barrass for a late first imo.

Also- Twomey said 3 year deals are for players picked in top 20 of the draft- which is different to what I had believed. Thought it was all first rounders.

A bit of confusion there.
Do they explain why that deal collapsed? It is all still shrouded in mystery. Did Sydney change their mind or reduce the offer, did the eagles want more than two firsts or did Barass change his mind? It would be interesting to know. Another story of interest to eagles supporters that the local media are too stupid and lazy to write a story on.

Do they explain why that deal collapsed? It is all still shrouded in mystery. Did Sydney change their mind or reduce the offer, did the eagles want more than two firsts or did Barass change his mind? It would be interesting to know. Another story of interest to eagles supporters that the local media are too stupid and lazy to write a story on.

Nope. But from memory, it was Barrass who told the club he wasn’t leaving.

Kinnear Beatson from the swans was on gettable after it all went down. He didn’t say what the reason was, but he did make a point to say that Barrass (or more likely his manager) reached out to them, not the other way around.

The slight saltiness suggests that they were disappointed.

If they had changed their minds, I doubt they would have put it that way.

Suggests to me it was Barrass.

Given Sydney say Barrass management reached to them out and Barrass says Sydney reached out to him I think it’s unlikely we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Given Sydney say Barrass management reached to them out and Barrass says Sydney reached out to him I think it’s unlikely we’ll get to the bottom of it.

I think you find managers might go behind the back of players to test the waters out and then come back to the player to see if they are interested in moving to get a better deal.

There job IS to fiond the best deal for their client and will always throw up and idea or 2 to see if it would happen.

Fox reported Pies have 4,5 to 5,0M available in cap space.

Considering our contracts didn’t have a Rise or Fall clause and with senior players soon to be retired or heavily reduced.

How much would we have available over the next three years?

If clubs are still circling Barass even though he is under contract that would also indicate that it was Barass who wanted out. You wouldn't waste your time chasing a contracted player who was happy where he is. There must be a perception he is unhappy for whatever reason, or that he was last year, and that therefore it is a lead worth chasing in case he is still unhappy.

Pretty sure it was reported that Barrass decided to stay.

There was no “deal” from Sydney, because things never moved beyond media speculation, and Barrass made his decision before the end of the season.

I have a feeling Sam Taylor will resign at the Giants, if that's the case then the club should go after Perryman or Cumming as Spooky mentioned. However the club should have more than enough cap space to offer Taylor a massive deal and if he's after money then we should be front runners plus moving home is another appeal. Hence we should NOT be putting our eggs in one basket especially if Taylor resigns with the Giants

Big contracts off the books will be Darling who we could push into retirement considering how cooked he looks provided he doesn't improve for most of the year, Gov could be pushed into retirement or FA if he wants to play more should it be clear that Taylor wants to come to us and Gaff will likely retire if we are serious at a rebuild. Yeo, Cripps would have to take significant pay cuts since they're past their peaks although important to the rebuild.

The other consideration would be to also extend our draftees to bigger contracts especially Reid, Ginbey, Hewitt, Hall, Burgiel (if he can show something). The club should NOT go after English who despite being an upgrade on B.Williams imo but he would cost a lot more in terms of cap space which isn't ideal should Taylor want to come to us and us wanting to extend our draftees to bigger contracts plus we already have Flynn who's serviceable at best if he can stay on the park.

If Taylor does resign with the Giants then I think we could turn A.Reid into a key defender who replaces Gov (I don't think H.Edwards will make it but who knows?) I remember WCE_phil mentioning that he maybe better off as a KPD who replaces Gov. Bazzo maybe become depth if this happens. Plus well have a monstrous war chest to extend the draftees to high contracts or potentially get another FA here who's interested to come to Perth and play for us. However, A.Reid as a KPD could only work if J.Williams makes it and Maric and Waterman also becomes good third tall types to help support Allen.

Should the team get English, BBW would be pushed out for sure to either Melbourne or Geelong. A first rounder for us would be fantasy land and even a second rounder in the late 20s is borderline unrealistic. A late 30s or early 40s pick is what we'll realistically get for him but that doesn't mean we can try to make them pay a first rounder or a late 20s pick. English seems happy to remain in Vic though since his partner is also based there now for netball.

If clubs are still circling Barass even though he is under contract that would also indicate that it was Barass who wanted out. You wouldn't waste your time chasing a contracted player who was happy where he is. There must be a perception he is unhappy for whatever reason, or that he was last year, and that therefore it is a lead worth chasing in case he is still unhappy.
I’ve said all along that him and BWilliams are the only players that we’d look at trading that have currency. It’s unlikely we’ll get an offer equal to or better than the one the Swans allegedly put forward last year unless TB has a stellar year. Also heard he was happy to stay on the understanding Simmo was going but that obviously changed so there might be a market for him given the dearth of KPDs.

Size and foot skills worry me a tad with Jagga.

100%

I don't think he can replicate his junior game at AFL level. Small frame and is a January birthday who has already finished school and is 100% focussed on footy.

I can understand people's desire for him and his good form at lower levels but himself and to a lesser extent draper I see as sliders and or limited upside.

Really need Smillie to show some real aggression (and to stop growing) or O'Sullivan to start racking it up 30 times a game as they have much higher ceilings imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon either Barrass approached Sydney, or they approached him, at a time in his personal life when he would have been open to a move. As time went on he decided he’d rather stay in WA and be part of the rebuild and both sides just moved on.

I’ve got nothing by way of proof of that, it’s just a theory I’ve come up with. But I’m still going to state it as absolute fact and denigrate anyone who questions it.

Pretty sure someone (WCEPhil?) has said it's unlikely Barrass would even pass the medical at another club

I can't say who it was but it was during a dinner discussion that the Barrass talk came up. People should be able to guess but I won't name names here but it was their opinion after coming into the club that Barrass wouldn't have passed the medical at Sydney last year.

Unless some team is really reckless and is willing to offer him a well over the top deal and overlook his neck and back issues (or there is significant improvement through treatment) it's really hard to see him leaving WA imo. Now if someone was to come an offer him a 3 year extension and throw a couple of picks between 10-20 at the eagles for him i'd take it in a heartbeat. I think Tom would then want out as well because even if he is forced to retire due to his back and neck he'll get paid out the full contract anyway and can then come back to WA anyway.

I just don't see it happening.

Size and foot skills worry me a tad with Jagga.
I’d take Moraes over Jagga currently. He’s 10 months younger and has a few extra parts to his game that Jagga has.

Links up and finds space better in general play and is a genuine goal sneak. He could easily play as a half forward while his body grows to become a full time midfielder. Moraes whilst not an elite kick is a better kick than Jagga for me.

Having said all that it’s still early so no need to put a line through anyone this early in the season. Looking forward to the first academy game and Jagga getting best on lol. 😂

I reckon either Barrass approached Sydney, or they approached him, at a time in his personal life when he would have been open to a move. As time went on he decided he’d rather stay in WA and be part of the rebuild and both sides just moved on.

I’ve got nothing by way of proof of that, it’s just a theory I’ve come up with. But I’m still going to state it as absolute fact and denigrate anyone who questions it.

Sauce?

I’d take Moraes over Jagga currently. He’s 10 months younger and has a few extra parts to his game that Jagga has.

Links up and finds space better in general play and is a genuine goal sneak. He could easily play as a half forward while his body grows to become a full time midfielder. Moraes whilst not an elite kick is a better kick than Jagga for me.

Having said all that it’s still early so no need to put a line through anyone this early in the season. Looking forward to the first academy game and Jagga getting best on lol. 😂

His foot skills aren’t that flash either and I wouldn’t be saying that they are that much better than Smith …. just saying.

He would want to tidy that up, before I was sold on him.

The good thing is that there’s names every year at this point of the football season calendar, that aren’t in the top 5 pick conversations, they emerge during and more particularly after the championships.

Good to elite foot skills have always been important, but with the way the game is trending, even more so now.

Gone are the days where the “ boomerang 🪃 “, kicking players get taken early in the draft.

Poor footskills are a coach killer.

Williams needs to kick a few goals when Flynn comes into the side to increase his value. Not sure if he will.

If we don't get English then I would just keep him, if we did get English he will play the majority of the time in the ruck (not 50/50) so we are better having a forward that can pinch hit in the ruck then a ruck who can play forward.

Back