Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

He isn’t very articulate and the headline isn’t really the point he was making. His first point was why the pile on after one week when the whole year apart from one half has been pretty bad, and the second was that regardless of the performance so far North has no choice but to hold its collective nerve and play the talent it’s invested in. Both fair comments, I think.

It is a terrible list and we have * all talent. It’s why we lose every week.

Hard disagree. Everyone was amazed at certain passages last year, and especially this year against Freo.

They’re capable footballers and we’ve only added decent picks.

We can blame a gameplan that doesn’t hold up/maybe doesn’t exist, lack of fitness, skills gone backwards, confidence.. But I don’t think talent can be blamed.

In any case, watch the podcast with Duck where he says player for player St. Kilda ain’t that much better than us. But they’re playing better. I agree with that.

Last edited:
He isn’t very articulate and the headline isn’t really the point he was making. His first point was why the pile on after one week when the whole year apart from one half has been pretty bad, and the second was that regardless of the performance so far North has no choice but to hold its collective nerve and play the talent it’s invested in. Both fair comments, I think.
And pointed to the fact he missed half of his first year.

Hard disagree. Everyone was amazed at certain passages last year, and especially this year against Freo.

They’re capable footballers and we’ve only added decent picks.

We can blame a gameplan that doesn’t hold up/maybe doesn’t exist, lack of fitness, skills gone backwards, confidence.. But I don’t think talent can be blamed.

In any case, watch the podcast with Duck where he says player for player St. Kilda ain’t that much better than us. But they’re playing better. I agree with that.
Spud. Get your head out of your arse. There is a reason we have finished bottom 2 over the last 4 years and we look like making it a 5th. The list has been butchered by Rawling & Co. :stern look

Spud. Get your head out of your arse. There is a reason we have finished bottom 2 over the last 4 years and we look like making it a 5th. The list has been butchered by Rawling & Co. :stern look

The culture is poor. Even if we had Harley Reid, he would be pointing, shouting and wanting to leave by year’s end.
Blaming talent is a cop-out. There are enough decent coaches and staff and more than enough capable players not to be losing to f****** hawthorn by 7 ****** goals.

Last edited:
yep stay the course...

what could possibly go wrong?

The culture is poor. Even if we had Harley Reid, he would be pointing, shouting and wanting to leave by year’ end
The culture may be poor but so is the list. This is the worst NMFC that we’ve seen in our lifetime. Admit it. The list has been butchered. :stern look

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call. Then look to the middle of the ground. Cutting off exits through the corridor but to who? What’s the point of standing there if there’s no opposition. They’re never going to try and exit that way? Will Phil is just guarding dead space and whoever that is above him. They should be squeezing the line.

We also put no pressure on the chip kick either, we just guard space then move to stand the mark instead of closing it down and trying to force a forward half turnover.

There’s just so much wrong with it on so many levels.
Do we think the stand rule has made zones less effective?

Can the player with the ball more effectively change angles by going around the mark to pick through a zone? If the defending team are just 2-3 metres out of place, players are skilled enough these days to take advantage.

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Laidley would’ve made this list competitive. Out of a rat-infested dog box. You know it.
She would have them biting blokes' noses off. Sheezel would be armed. Comben would have filed his fingernails into points before taking the field. I miss those days. We weren't any good but we sucked to play against.

Laidley would’ve made this list competitive. Out of a rat-infested dog box. You know it.
Rightio. The List that Laidleys had at his disposal, (And for those politically correct jerkoffs, Laidleys was a he at the time), is far superior to the current list of players at the NMFC. :stern look

The culture may be poor but so is the list. This is the worst NMFC that we’ve seen in our lifetime. Admit it. The list has been butchered. :stern look
The list is shockingly bad, but I'm not sure it'd be any better if we'd kept half the blokes we cut?

No one, apart from maybe the fella that went to Saints, has gone anywhere else and been successful.

We've replaced our drafted sh*trucks with recruited sh*trucks. They'll be cut at the end of their contracts and this time we won't have PP's forced to be used on mature age recruits (which could be a blessing).

Drafting and development has been a disaster back to about the year after we drafted JZ. Unfortunately we still need to nail 2-3 more drafts, while still keeping spirits up....

F*$k!

She would have them biting blokes' noses off. Sheezel would be armed. Comben would have filed his fingernails into points before taking the field. I miss those days. We weren't any good but we sucked to play against.

At times we sucked to watch too, but I remember drawing against Brisbane in 2003 and making a prelim the year we lost Thommo and didn’t even know if we’d exist by the end of it.

Laidley had flaws. I will be forever angry at the way Harro was treated (reading Boomer’s book in one sitting didn’t help this). And I know we were never a true flag threat.

But dammit I was proud and I enjoyed those years (only 06 being the exception). We had soul.
Now we don’t.

Last edited:
The list is shockingly bad, but I'm not sure it'd be any better if we'd kept half the blokes we cut?

No one, apart from maybe the fella that went to Saints, has gone anywhere else and been successful.

We've replaced our drafted sh*trucks with recruited sh*trucks. They'll be cut at the end of their contracts and this time we won't have PP's forced to be used on mature age recruits (which could be a blessing).

Drafting and development has been a disaster back to about the year after we drafted JZ. Unfortunately we still need to nail 2-3 more drafts, while still keeping spirits up....

F*$k!

It’s a fair question you ask. When Rawling rocked up to the NMFC he didn’t rate that list. And in 2020 we had a horrible year. It was the year of the Hub in Brisbane. And we as a club handled the hub poorly. Shaw had his issues. Jade Rawling had to be knifed. It was a s**t show. So what does Brady convince the Board to do? Cut deep. Cut players who had played reasonable football in the past but had a bad year. And bring in who? Corrs? The guy is bog average. Stephenson? Guy was playing reserves on the weekend. Atu and Young are now both gone. Spicer already delisted from that draft. Phillips has been in struggle down. Laz was sub. Ford was subbed. And Powell. Mark my words. That clown has butchered our list. It is worse now than when he came to the club. :stern look

Not sure if this has been posted already but this hits the nail on the head.

“Without having an experienced Premiership winning coach like Paul Roos 2013-2016 who doesn't react to noise to save his career & instead stays the course, Melbourne don't win the 2021 Premiership because more rinse repeat change keeps happening.

Let’s trust the process lads. Logue Goater Comben are our future down back. Larkey Duursma Curtis is our future in the attack. Sheezel Wardlaw Powell (Phillips?,LDU?) is our future in the engine room.

Laidley was notoriously challenged when it came to communicating with the youngest players on the list. The 2007 team had loads of experience and was much older than the current list.

All sounds like a great bunch of excuses… until we lose to Hawthorn, the next worst, by 7 goals. Try again.

It’s a fair question you ask. When Rawling rocked up to the NMFC he didn’t rate that list. And in 2020 we had a horrible year. It was the year of the Hub in Brisbane. And we as a club handled the hub poorly. Shaw had his issues. Jade Rawling had to be knifed. It was a s**t show. So what does Brady convince the Board to do? Cut deep. Cut players who had played reasonable football in the past but had a bad year. And bring in who? Corrs? The guy is bog average. Stephenson? Guy was playing reserves on the weekend. Atu and Young are now both gone. Spicer already delisted from that draft. Phillips has been in struggle down. Laz was sub. Ford was subbed. And Powell. Mark my words. That clown has butchered our list. It is worse now than when he came to the club. :stern look
It feels like there have been a few years of mass delistings and 2020 was just one of them but just for argument's sake, it's worth considering which of these 2020 listed players could still be playing for us and making us a better team:

Jamie Macmillan, Majak Daw, Jasper Pittard, Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, Mason Wood, Sam Durdin, Marley Williams, Joel Crocker, Lachie Hosie and Tom Murphy.

I dare say going into contract negotiations with your club not rating you may just dampen your confidence a bit, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back