List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

They did a bit on The Couch tonight about Harley. Apparently his 19 possession game was the most highly rated game based on impact points in over a decade.
Used to watch it religiously. Tuned out for the last few years, for obvious reasons.

thanks for that, I'll be watching.

Watching the highlights I think it's crazy he didn't win the medal, his impact in that first half especially to set the win up was off the charts.

He did several things during the game that very few current players could do.

It's no where near that. Was reading collingwood board and apparently on WA today we were looking at 3 year deal for 1.2 million per year.

In 3 years time: Yeo, Kelly, Gov, TB are all retired. We will have a blank checkbook.

Also we are making a killing with a discount 3 years of initial signing. He's getting a default 200k salary for his initial 3 years.

Last edited:
This extension and pay, happens after the 3 years of draft contract?
So if its 4 years at 1.25 for rounding sake, that would be first 3 at rookie and 4 years after that for 5mil? So 7 years for rookie contract + 5 mil?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching the highlights I think it's crazy he didn't win the medal, his impact in that first half especially to set the win up was off the charts.

He did several things during the game that very few current players could do.
I suppose this is the Judd comparison, where not all stats are equal.
Because if you looked purely at the stats you'd say that Marc Pittonet, Tom Mitchell or Tanner Bruhn all had similar disposal counts and 7 clearances each. Heck Tristan Xerri had 10 clearances in his game. But a free kick from a ruck infringement with a short handball to a teammate or a hack kick out of congestion is worlds apart from motoring past Serong and Fyfe, leaving them sprawling on the ground to set up a teammate at the top of the 50m arc or having a shot yourself from 50m out.

Reid's clearances are:
1. completely earned at the coalface (as opposed to the ball falling to Reid by happenstance); and
2. pure as to quality and depth (either by getting substantially further distance than a hack kick or, alternatively, by drawing a second player to himself and releasing a handball to a teammate into space).

This is where Champion Data (even though there's some secret sauce involved) often provides a more correct weight to a players game (even if not absolutely accurate) than solely the stats.

Flynn oddly has a big amount of hitouts to advantage for not being an elite ruck, yeo and reid could feast on this

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's no where near that. Was reading collingwood board and apparently on WA today we were looking at 3 year deal for 1.2 million per year.

In 3 years time: Yeo, Kelly, Gov, TB are all retired. We will have a blank checkbook.

Also we are making a killing with a discount 3 years of initial signing. He's getting a default 200k salary for his initial 3 years.

Hopefully company links come in with “benefits” allowing us to keep the cap freer.

At end of day, we can’t win a premiership if he takes a large chunk of the cap. Front end as much as possible.

They did a bit on The Couch tonight about Harley. Apparently his 19 possession game was the most highly rated game based on impact points in over a decade.

Incredible, must say when he burst away he reminds me of a prime Cousins with that beautiful 9 on the back but his game stats are very Judd like, Judd would poll 3 votes from 20 touches and a few goals purely on how important those touches were.

I thought the 3rd year of the top 20 picks contract is not base rookie salary and it takes performance indicators into account, such as rising star noms, AA squad selection, etc. I suspect Harley will be well paid in his third year, fair enough too based on current output.

I thought the 3rd year of the top 20 picks contract is not base rookie salary and it takes performance indicators into account, such as rising star noms, AA squad selection, etc. I suspect Harley will be well paid in his third year, fair enough too based on current output.
It’s base plus performance. But each award is limited to $20k or $30k so he’ll still be well under market value if he’s having 20-25 disposals and multiple goals a game

Unsure if it has been mentioned on here or not, but really intrigued at how the Eagle try develop Harley's body over the next few years. They will know better than anyone, what he needs, but I really hope he doesn't put on too much more size. Is already so powerful and naturally this will improve in the next few years. Needs to increase his overall endurance as a midfielder, but interesting to see what he looks like in 4-5 years when he is into his new deal at the club ;)

Hopefully company links come in with “benefits” allowing us to keep the cap freer.

At end of day, we can’t win a premiership if he takes a large chunk of the cap. Front end as much as possible.

I was wondering if we could do that. Pay him the 1.5M+ contract extension for the 3 - 5 years extension or whatever he wants. Then bring some of it into the first 3 year rookie contract to offset the low base. Not sure if that would be allowed but would make a big difference to smooth it out over 6-8 years.

It’s base plus performance. But each award is limited to $20k or $30k so he’ll still be well under market value if he’s having 20-25 disposals and multiple goals a game

This article lays it all out pretty well.

Base salary $145K
18+ games in 2nd seasons 60K
Match payments 5k x23 = $115K
Sub total $320K

Incentives
All Australian $50k
Brownlow 50k
BnF $50K
Sub total $150K

Harley will making minimum 320K and could be up to 470K

Also, if Reid hits certain indicators (rising star nom+20 games in first 2 seasons) he also becomes available for ASA money which is additional services agreement.

Every club has 1.2 million outside the cap to do marketing, club stuff etc.

With Nic Nat gone Harley will be gobbling up a lot of that additional income given his marketability.

He’ll be well looked after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back