Scott Pendlebury - Standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

My pies relatives and work colleagues agree, they said the flags put him in front. I think so too.
Footy IQ and team play puts him in front imo

Bucks spent the first 7-8 years of his career getting 27 kicks a game that went straight to the opposition, it was really horrible to watch and put me off going to the footy and I never really went back

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Footy IQ and team play puts him in front imo

Bucks spent the first 7-8 years of his career getting 27 kicks a game that went straight to the opposition, it was really horrible to watch and put me off going to the footy and I never really went back

Finals record too which is important, despite Buckley having a better H&A record.

Pendles played in better sides.

It's pretty hard to split them. They weren't/aren't the same type of player beyond their basic role as midfielders.

Buckley better - just. He averages a goal per game, for a midfielder that's really good. Score board pressure.

Finals record too which is important, despite Buckley having a better H&A record.
The expression "lower the eyes" was invented for Buckley

"You've got teammates Bucks" I used to yell in despair

When Malthouse got there, Bucks became decent at last but 1994-99 were wasted years

Buckley played one final before his 30th birthday and 10 overall and 3 of them when he was 35.

In between he was an excellent finals player.
Prime Buckley in the 2007-2013 Collingwood side would've torn several finals series to shreds. Timing doesn't always work out. Like Ablett Senior playing one finals series in his 20s.

Buckley played one final before his 30th birthday and 10 overall and 3 of them when he was 35.

In between he was an excellent finals player.

Tough, we can’t invent a finals record for him. It is what it is and I’ve heard from pies supporters Pendles is better and actually had success.

Very surprised to read Collingwood supporters rating Pendles on par (or narrowly behind Buckley). I would have had Buckley the superior player overall.
Buckley carried his teams on his back during an era when he was heavily targeted. Like Pendlebury, could also go down back and play as a pretty decent defender.

Pendlebury is one of the best of his generation. I would have him in the same category as Hodge, Selwood, Mitchell etc.

Very good player but a little behind the very best.
Playing for our most intense rivals, I've always admired him as a footballer but probably haven't feared him dominating the way I would some others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles has Bucks covered pretty easily (Bucks will agree with it too) but the Daicos snr did too.

And Johnny Greening was better than any of em.

Pendles has Bucks covered pretty easily (Bucks will agree with it too) but the Daicos snr did too.

And Johnny Greening was better than any of em.
Disagree

Bucks top 100 player all time
Pendles top 500 player all time
Daicos Sr played in an irrelevant era, would be lucky to get a game for the Coburg Lions

Pendlebury Collingwood's second best player in our second most important game against our arch rival in the past two decades on Friday night.

How important was that goal from 50m in the last quarter?

How does he keep doing it?

Last edited:
Pendlebury Collingwood's second best player in our most our second most important game against our arch rival in the past two decades on Friday night.

How important was that goal from 50m in the last quarter?

How does he keep doing it?
Following on from his great ANZAC Day performance. Being dragged to 400 games, though...

Very surprised to read Collingwood supporters rating Pendles on par (or narrowly behind Buckley). I would have had Buckley the superior player overall.

I think Buckley was the better player as well, did more damage when he had the ball in his hands.

Maybe not coaching the Pies too a premiership as a coach has affected his legacy as a player a little.

I think Buckley was the better player as well, did more damage when he had the ball in his hands.

Maybe not coaching the Pies too a premiership as a coach has affected his legacy as a player a little.
Buckley better than Pendles.
The last few years in particular, Buckley struggled with injuries.

A criticism of Pendles v Buckley is that Pendles has missed some easy goals at critical times over the years.

Buckley could also play well in a number of roles. He even played on Wayne Carey and beat him well.

It’s the old ability vs achievements debate.

Truthfully, Nathan Buckley was a better footballer than Pendlebury, in the simple sense of playing football. A complete midfielder with one of the best kicks we’ve seen, played tremendously in defence when he needed to and had some phenomenal efforts in front of the sticks. He was a better captain too, and dragged an ordinary side to back to back grand finals, one of which they nearly scalped against an all time side off the back of his own individual performance. The day Buckley went to centre half-back and shut down Wayne Carey, allowing a dreadful Collingwood team to cruise over the top of a powerhouse North Melbourne best sums up how complete of a player he was and how he carried this club for so many years.

But it’s hard to look past Pendlebury as the greatest Pie of the last 50 years, with 2 premierships, a Norm Smith medal in a winning team, 5 Copelands in better sides than Buckley played in, 6 All-Australians, nearly 400 games played and notably playing a pivotal role in the last premiership at 35 years old. When you look at Collingwood’s success in the last 20 years, Pendlebury has been at the forefront of it all. At 36 years old, he continues to contribute to a high level week to week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back